GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

run with no A/C?

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
OP, you might not get many helpful answers on here when it comes to what you're asking. Not many people in the VW game here are going to do things "differently", all cookie cutter builds. Do what you want, be different, bring something new to the table.

In4BuildThread

Uhh hope you're not talking about me being a "cookie cutter" build. I'm far from it.

OP, apa11393 took out his compressor. He hasn't had any issues. He is 509 whp. You might want to PM him. He is also in So Cal.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
When combined with a bunch of other weight reduction that's actually quite a bit.

So true, gotta love/hate the stage life. I'm sure once the mk6 gets a little older, more people will be willing to tear them up and do more unique garage builds. I am living the stage life and love how easy it is to bump your DD up a class, but respect those who figure it out for themselves far more.

The only reason to fully gut the car is for race/track only applications. I highly doubt that's his intentions.

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
Also from past experience in two other cars when I was younger, taking the AC out in SoCal sucks. I would always have a diagonal sweat stripe across my chest during the summer even at night. Once car was a S13 with a Sr20DET swap and the other was an FD (3rd gen Rx-7) that I added a pulley kit that removed the AC. The S13 I didn't really have a choice but the FD I regret pulling the AC.

TSI_Guy

Go Kart Champion
Guise, did you ever think maybe it's not his daily? He's obviously doing things a bit different than the norm.

Rotary - no hate against your build, I didn't say anything about your build :) it's a nice build. Congrats.

DCummings

Thanks for the help and the opinions. I noticed some assumptions so to clear things up....

Main reason for removing the A/C is not because the intercooler. It's for the piping. I'm trying to be as vague as possible without spoiling the goods for when I put together the build thread.

I know I live in SoCal but the A/C is something I can live without, even when I drive up HW5 to SF every few weeks.

This is my daily. Trying g to get my 2003 lancer running incase what comes up makes the GTI non op for A few days (it was slammed and hit some road work, need a new subframe and right side suspension)

The intercooler is mishimoto J-line, I hear its pretty decent. Plus if I need to I'll add cooling meth jets, but from what I hear that won't be a necessity.

Question: this idler pully, does it come with the bracket or will I need to fab one up.

Thanks again guys!

Last edited:

DCummings

I can guarantee you for what I'm doing I'll need to remove the lines for the A/C. Removing the compressor, no I don't have to but I'd rather not run the risk for moisture entering the compressor by just removing it.

Now if I can run the piping down to where the factory pipe goes it may be too long. I'm just considering this as a high possibility to keep the piping as short as possible.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Don't you guys love people like this, they usually end up the guys subbing to your built thread.

sorry but I don't subscribe to people's builds....definitely not starting with yours. Build as in throwing in an APR Carbonio intake and K04 upgrade??

The intercooler is mishimoto J-line, I hear its pretty decent.

Mishimoto intercooler....LOL

really??? Now I really take your build seriously. :bellyroll:

DCummings

What I'm doing has literally never been done on a mk6 GTI. At least if it has, it wasn't in any events being logged in any of the archives.

Last edited:

FriggenT

Go Kart Champion
I wish you luck and success with it man. I'm not a big fan of spending massive amounts of money and nvturbo did his own ETS Fmic set up which had never been done on an mk6 gti either and it would be imo considered the most inexpensive and imo again best fmics for an mk6. I know Michael at ETS and the guy loves what he does and his ICs are used on some of the fastest lancer evolutions in the world. I've owned 2 of his ICs in the past myself.

Anyway, we all like to see cool custom stuff, so like I said, I wish you luck.

Guys, try to cut the guy some slack, he's got dreams, hopefully they come to fruition.

FriggenT

Go Kart Champion
On a side note, I won't run a/c unless it's 90+ and super humid, I want high gas mileage lol, and I'm cheap.

DCummings

I wish you luck and success with it man. I'm not a big fan of spending massive amounts of money and nvturbo did his own ETS Fmic set up which had never been done on an mk6 gti either and it would be imo considered the most inexpensive and imo again best fmics for an mk6. I know Michael at ETS and the guy loves what he does and his ICs are used on some of the fastest lancer evolutions in the world. I've owned 2 of his ICs in the past myself.

Anyway, we all like to see cool custom stuff, so like I said, I wish you luck.

Guys, try to cut the guy some slack, he's got dreams, hopefully they come to fruition.

Thanks man, If the J-line really is THAT bad ill think about something else. I'm not a fan of spending a lot of money either, I'll be fabing up all of my pipes (-cat back) for the sake of low cost.

I know there are a lot of intercoolers for our cars that are not worth the money and only cost a lot for the sake of being a 'mk6 kit'.... forge fmic is like 800 bucks and is tiny compared to the Mishimoto J-line. But I don't want too get too much into intercoolers since this was souly for my A/C question which has been answered.

Thanks everyone!

Mishimoto

Ready to race!
DCummings,

Thanks for the post! How much power are you planning on making? Our J line is rated to ~500whp. If you are plan on running our intercooler, I am sure you will have great luck with it. Of course, the intercooler is universal so you will need to fabricate piping and mounting. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact sus at support@mishimoto.com.

Thanks,
-Pat

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
How did mishimoto find out we were talking about them? Better get that confirmed vendor status lol