GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
I just can't bring myself to spend too much on tires given how quickly i go through them. That and I don't really ever go to the track.

That being said for a cheaper tire i've really been impressed with evo2s and the conti dw. If i was going to spend the money nt555r is all i'd be buying.

GTR_Killer

Go Kart Champion
But what about turning? No enjoyable high speed mountain runs on those, lol

2 options in my opinion for maximum grip combo in straight line and turning capabilities.

Got money to spend -R888
Budget but amazing performance - 595 RSR

Traction rating are 140 on the 595 RSR and 100 on the R888. Wet handling is also amazing with both. Both tires are R-comps and are NOT to see temps below (40-45F) in my opinion.

You want maximum street legal performance that wont get you killed in the rain, than those are the 2 tire options in my opinion.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie

Oh man thank you. Pre turbo WM? no IC for better flow? Self tuned? AND A BOV? Inspired:

I mean if this guy was even a little successful it would turn about 15,000 posts of this thread on it's head, but I don't see that happening. Thanks for the morning reading!

EDIT: To quote "This deathtrap will absolutely be driven on the street. I ride motorcycles so I'm not bothered."

Oh lawd.

Last edited:

GTR_Killer

Go Kart Champion
"I'm not too interested in the 1/4. This car is setup for track days, roll racing, general hooliganism and a little daily driving thrown in.

I may switch to a recirculating dump if I don't like the BOV.

K04 because I paid $800, it bolts in and most importantly will be very easy to sell when I move up.
K04 + pre-turbo WM should make a lot of power up top and to make significantly more on a bigger turbo I would want to build the bottom end and the head. Then there would be other parts like my clutch that would need replacement. I hope to run this setup on my stock clutch / dmf for a while."

LOL

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
It's doable on FSIs for a while, rather than tsis garbage stock clutch.

Indeed. The MK5 FSI I work on quite frequently had 120k, was K04 + injectors and all bolt ons with a factory stock clutch. He beat the absolute shit out of it too. It was only changed when the motor was pulled to be built for a bigger turbo. It totally blew my mind how it was still holding stock.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
TL;DR on that thread:

I got fucking SICK of the car, mostly that it's FWD, and have come into an opportunity to get something else. I realized that:

--I enjoy driving my TACOMA 4-banger more than the Jetta, especially when it rains, due to RWD. There's something really, really wrong with that, since it's a slow-ass auto-trans pickup with awful handling and I've put shit tons of work and money into the Jetta.
--The K04 has too much power for the platform
--The K04 don't have as much power as I want

Since those points are totally at odds with each other, I finally figured the car isn't gonna give me the pleasure I want without a drivetrain swap. So, I'm gonna keep it, and convert it to AWD electric with one motor per hub in 2018 or so. At least that's the plan now, who knows what will really happen.

Current plans for a car, E36 M3.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
you guys remember the dude that cut a hole in his hood for a downpipe dump...

...and then decided he didn't like it.

jettaglx91

Go Kart Champion
Everyone hating in that that has never done anything outside of the box and never upgraded a car other then their own.

I ran watermeth on a non-Intercooled vrt back when most had no idea what watermeth was, and I'm guessing before most on these forums were driving.

It was a stock motor with a decent size T4, ran it up to 17-18psi but never dyno'd at that much boost, guessing 450+whp. Car ran 124mph in the 1/4 on drag radials spinning through second.

But the biggest benefit was being non-intercooled it has awesome throttle response and full boost about 3200rpm, drove like a way bigger motor rather than a turbo car

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Everyone hating in that that has never done anything outside of the box and never upgraded a car other then their own.

I ran watermeth on a non-Intercooled vrt back when most had no idea what watermeth was, and I'm guessing before most on these forums were driving.

It was a stock motor with a decent size T4, ran it up to 17-18psi but never dyno'd at that much boost, guessing 450+whp. Car ran 124mph in the 1/4 on drag radials spinning through second.

But the biggest benefit was being non-intercooled it has awesome throttle response and full boost about 3200rpm, drove like a way bigger motor rather than a turbo car

There's not so much hate for that one specific element of the build, at least from me. It's all of the things combined (no IC, k04, beyond gutted car, street driven, no safety devices, etc.).

Sure there are many ways to skin a cat but starting off doing it with a dull spoon is going to get you some flak.