GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Nightmare with genuine LED tail lights

gti_jim

I purchased a genuine used set of LED rear tail lights from eBay, received them, checked them over and they are indeed genuine.

Found out they wouldn't directly replace my existing lights without buying some adapters for the wiring. I purchased these: LED-rear-lights-tail-lights-adapter-cable-set-harness-/181894535352?

The lights then installed, they all work apart from the reverse light, I have "Check light" error messages on every rear bulb (apart from number plate)

So.... I took the car to a garage that coded the car, they told me I need to buy some interface for it work properly?

Could someone assist by suggesting what I need to buy / change?

Thanks

INDVZE

Ready to race!
Did you check to see if the reverse bulb was out?

You dont need an interface to make them work just change a few things through vagcom, there is a thread and a video on youtube on how to do it.

simpson110

Ready to race!

2014GTI

Ready to race!
Check the bulb for reverse to verify they are not led as this can trigger the bulb out also. Some users buy cheap led replacement bulbs. And coding should be row ie rest of world. It's Normal not in the vag drop down. Use the search options to verify your bit is correct.

sniper27

Go Kart Champion
Nothing you described is a nightmare, but rather normal. All led tails require an adaptor. Also, the shop you went to probably didn't code it right. Depending on the year of your car and original headlight type, the coding can be different for different cars. Do your research. But as far as the lights, they are working as they should.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

plat

Ready to race!
I see from your profile that you own a '10 GTI. I have heard or read somewhere that our ECU's (mine's a 2011) don't support LED tails. Resistors are required, I believe, to fool the ECU from reporting a 'Bulb Out Error'. Maybe those with 2010 GTI's with OEM LED Tails can chime in and confirm whether this is true or not.

sniper27

Go Kart Champion
I have coded people with 2010 gti before and it works. Just need to figure out the correct code.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

plat

Ready to race!
I see from your profile that you own a '10 GTI. I have heard or read somewhere that our ECU's (mine's a 2011) don't support LED tails. Resistors are required, I believe, to fool the ECU from reporting a 'Bulb Out Error'. Maybe those with 2010 GTI's with OEM LED Tails can chime in and confirm whether this is true or not.

I just remembered, its the LED Xenon Headlights that are not compatible with older ECU's found in 2010 and 2011 GTI's. The LED tails can be made to work with the right code.

plat

Ready to race!

I just remembered, its the LED Xenon Headlights that are not compatible with older ECU's found in 2010 and 2011 GTI's. The LED tails can be made to work with the right code.

MelowGTI

Ready to race!
installed LEDS yesterday, zero codes, zero experience working on cars.
This is why I do not buy from ebay...

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
eBay isnt a problem if you know what you're doing on there
true.

You just have to know exactly what your buying and what it should look like if youre buying it off ebay.

You just have to take their descriptions with a grain of salt.

gti_jim

Mine has xenon headlights. Can anyone confirm they have done / also have a 2010 with xenon and led rear lights installed & coded?

Also, the garage who are coding my lights have asked for a software number that should have come with my genuine LED lights? I have not heard of that before on any other threads / forums.

Last edited:

2014GTI

Ready to race!
Mine has xenon headlights. Can anyone confirm they have done / also have a 2010 with xenon and led rear lights installed & coded?

Also, the garage who are coding my lights have asked for a software number that should have come with my genuine LED lights? I have not heard of that before on any other threads / forums.
There is a software code needed for xenon headlights for the afs system. Only if you swap from Halogens to full xenon with afs. FYI this code does not come with the lights. See this link for info from Ross. http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf_%281K%29_Headlight_Aim_Control_%28Xenon_with_AFS%29

gti_jim

Do Genuine LED lights come with a "5 digit SVM code" in the box?

The garage coding my lights are certain they need this code to clear the dash errors... I've never heard of anyone mentioning they come with a code in the box before?