GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New DSG in MK6 GTI or B8 S4?

NoSpark

Go Kart Champion
This has been discussed ad nauseam here, but I think my situation is different enough to warrant a new thread and hopefully help others in a similar situation.

My 2010 GTI has an issue with the DSG transmission. Long story short, the differential is worn, and should be replaced. The car still drives fine, but it's a little jerky and doesn't always shift smoothly.

-Cost for this was quoted ~$3500 for new DSG installed from VW. (I started a different thread it here for reference)
-I still owe $5000 on the car through VW credit.
-Parting the car out will get me about $5000.

I love the GTI (other than sometimes the FWD traction issues), and you can see my mods in my signature.
I know I'm going to need to get a 4-door in the future (impending expanding family, no kids now), so my question is: why waste $3500 on a new transmission when I can put that towards a 4-door car (B8 S4)?
I'm looking for input on those with a new child (or twins) and how living with a 2-door has worked, and what you would do in this situation/why.

Thanks in advance!

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
I would go for a 4 door personally, I just got a 4 door GTI and I have a new born. You can manage to pull it off with a 2 door but as they get older it can get difficult. How will you lean forward in the car to pull out your sleeping child without hitting their head? The 2 door GTI is pretty roomy though and might be worth the struggle but it's up to you :) simulate yourself leaning in to the back and putting the car seat in and out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
My sister has twins. With all the crap they need to carry around for them there's no way a 2 door gti would work as their main car. I'm not even sure their double stroller would fit in the trunk and if it did there wouldn't be room for much else.

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
Yes that's true, you also have to take into consideration that you will need a diaper bag, stroller, etc.

Jaber

Modero
My sister has twins. With all the crap they need to carry around for them there's no way a 2 door gti would work as their main car. I'm not even sure their double stroller would fit in the trunk and if it did there wouldn't be room for much else.

A single stroller barely fits back there. It does, but that's all you're going to carry.

NoSpark

Go Kart Champion
Ok, so lots of votes for upgrading now it seems.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

zrickety

The Fixer
You don't need to carry a bunch of crap when you have kids. The 2 door worked great for me, truthfully easier access to the car seats. A diaper bag and stroller fit just fine in the hatch. If I have an issue with the diff that means time for an LSD.

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
If it's not twins you'll be fine man, a 2 door can be pulled off with one kid.

NoSpark

Go Kart Champion
But then again were talking about getting a B8 S4 also guys

Lol, it could be a different car. I just like it the most compared to the competitors (335i, G37, etc).

NorthVan1

Ready to race!
Find a used DSG box, sell the car for market value when you need to get something with 4 doors.

Selling the car for what you owe on it isn't going to get you ahead, if you have a kid, cross that road then

NoSpark

Go Kart Champion
Find a used DSG box, sell the car for market value when you need to get something with 4 doors.

Selling the car for what you owe on it isn't going to get you ahead, if you have a kid, cross that road then
Thanks for that. I owe $5k on the car, but could probably sell it for $12k (KBB). Replacing the trans for $3.5k gets me close to where I don't make any money selling it.

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
Honestly...I would part it out and trade it in rather than trying to sell it. Avoids the headache of explaining to someone what's wrong with the DSG. I would let the dealer inspect it and take it how it is

ben_m

Ready to race!
+1 to 4door GTI.

I fit 1 infant car seat, 1 convertible car seat and my wife in the back!!!

Trunk is def tight on strollers though, specially if you have a double.

Jaber

Modero
+1 to 4door GTI.

I fit 1 infant car seat, 1 convertible car seat and my wife in the back!!!

Trunk is def tight on strollers though, specially if you have a double.

Same here. No one really fits comfortable in the front passenger seat. Unless you're short person. I have recaro traveling system in mine. Recaro Performance Ride in my wife's GLI.

Here's the GLI with stroller in it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448305803.043925.jpg

We use the GLI when we travel together. Since I can sit infront passenger with room to spare. And if I need to sit in back, more room as well.

Sent from my iSuperior, expect typos, mathematical errors and inaccuracy.