GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chiraqi Chat14: And You Get a MK7 GTI, And You Get a MK7 GTI, And You Get a MK7 GTI!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlancpainGT3

Ready to race!
did you notice the intake opening on the left side? :iono:

blu ive researched this.

It appears apr has done this to let cool air into the engine bay when cruising.

flying_solo

Go Kart Champion
So, it's not a right or wrong with regards to my statements last night. It's more a philosophy really. And I'm sorry Jim to reveal I'm just a hillbilly that has enough money to buy a Pcar. Should I not apply to PCA now?

I don't want people telling me what I can and cannot do with my property and accordingly I don't worry about other people's stuff as a result. This is a philosophy a lot of people in the country follow.

I do find it ironic that Omni you don't shovel your sidewalk. I'm pretty sure that that's a city ordinance and a safety concern. I'm surprised you don't have a neighbor like Roy writing the village about it and getting you fined. FWIW, I shovel my sidewalk. It's the hypocrisy within the suburbs that drive me crazy. Some groups think it will hurt your property value to park a work truck at your house and ban that. Some groups think leaving any car parked in the driveway is bad and ban that. Others require houses to be built with a certain style, etc. It's all too self absorbed and narcissist to me. To me, it looks like a bunch of elitists whining and trying to distinguish themselves from some other as they see it lower group. I hate it and hate the burbs.

Now, if you have a 20' variance in your hood than redneck neighbor is F'd. He's violating code and well that sucks to be him. I'm not advocating breaking rules. I accept these stupid rules when I buy into the neighborhood. Am I going to be the guy to rat him out if he's violating the rules? Probably not unless he's being dangerous. The bike and potential recklessness in the streets, that's safety issue and that is what I would respond to. But, I sure wouldn't get my panties in a wad if he parked in his yard. Shake my head, sure.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
So, it's not a right or wrong with regards to my statements last night. It's more a philosophy really. And I'm sorry Jim to reveal I'm just a hillbilly that has enough money to buy a Pcar. Should I not apply to PCA now?

I struggle to figure out a way to state this in a way that couldn't be interpreted as a sort of insult (because I do not mean or imply anything negative or directed at you and am speaking from a place of nothing but respect).... so I'll just put it out: Class and finances are not linked. Money does not automatically bring class, and having class does not require money.

Keeping your house's appearance nice has nothing to do with their income. One can take pride in their home, and have respect for their neighborhood, in taking steps to make sure their house doesn't look abandoned or like a total dump.

I don't want people telling me what I can and cannot do with my property and accordingly I don't worry about other people's stuff as a result. This is a philosophy a lot of people in the country follow.

In spirit, I definitely agree with you. It's why I opt for living in locations that do NOT have an HOA. Even when it's a "good" HOA that makes decisions/rules that I'd agree with... I'd still prefer not to. I don't like being TOLD or RESTRICTED in what I can or can't do by some kind of written law. Kind of like a seatbelt law. I agree that wearing a seatbelt is a good idea. I will always wear one, and I will encourage my friends and family to wear one. But I do not agree with the government telling me I have to wear one.

Same goes for homes in a cohesive neighborhood. I don't want a law REQUIRING or MANDATING what can/can't be done. But I'd also hope or expect that my neighbors, for the good of the neighborhood, maintain a minimum level of care or civility when it comes to their property. Part of what makes living in a suburban neighborhood enjoyable, for the people that choose to live in one, is the fact that there is a similar and consistent look and feel to the neighborhood.

Parking a ratted out car on your front lawn ("country" style) is IMO just as "breaking" of the cohesiveness as when you see people buy a home in an older neighborhood (ranch homes built in the 50s), knock it down, and put up some giant 3-story brick McMansion. Nothing wrong with the McMansion on it's own (or the owners)... but it looks ridiculous in the neighborhood and affects the other homes, in that it breaks the consistent look and feel of the neighborhood.

If one wants a McMansion and doesn't want to be looked at crosseyed since it doesn't "fit" with the rest of the neighborhood - then go buy in a neighborhood full of McMansions. If one is the kind of person who wants to let their grass grow to be a foot long, with cars and old furniture strewn about the yard... suburban living may not be the right place for them. Not that I hold any issue or ill will towards the guy who chooses/prefers to live that way... just that it seems to go against the idea behind a suburban neighborhood to begin with.

I do find it ironic that Omni you don't shovel your sidewalk. I'm pretty sure that that's a city ordinance and a safety concern. I'm surprised you don't have a neighbor like Roy writing the village about it and getting you fined. FWIW, I shovel my sidewalk. It's the hypocrisy within the suburbs that drive me crazy. Some groups think it will hurt your property value to park a work truck at your house and ban that. Some groups think leaving any car parked in the driveway is bad and ban that. Others require houses to be built with a certain style, etc. It's all too self absorbed and narcissist to me. To me, it looks like a bunch of elitists whining and trying to distinguish themselves from some other as they see it lower group. I hate it and hate the burbs.

If it is illegal, then I'll wait for my ticket. I've seen the "safety" thing argued both ways... shovel it, but don't do a good enough job, and someone trips/slips and suddenly you're liable for that, too. I prefer to just leave it "unimproved".

Now, if you have a 20' variance in your hood than redneck neighbor is F'd. He's violating code and well that sucks to be him. I'm not advocating breaking rules. I accept these stupid rules when I buy into the neighborhood. Am I going to be the guy to rat him out if he's violating the rules? Probably not unless he's being dangerous. The bike and potential recklessness in the streets, that's safety issue and that is what I would respond to. But, I sure wouldn't get my panties in a wad if he parked in his yard. Shake my head, sure.

The last subdivision I lived in, in Huntley, had an HOA, and had the "no work vehicles". IMO it's stupid. Guy across the street from me worked in the trades, his truck was his life. Banning it? Stupid. I fail to see how parking his truck in the drive would affect property values. However, failing to maintain the exterior of your property DOES affect values.

If someone across the street from your house, which you could see every day, left their grass a foot tall, weeds and stickers and cattails sticking up, kids crap all over, a dead car and some old furniture laying about.... it wouldn't bug you at all? Not even an internal hint of a thought of "jeez man pick your shit up"?

Last edited:

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
Balls

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do

shdwblugti

Go Kart Champion
That takes a special kind of stupid right there
might have gotten flamed for the racing stripes on teh forumz.
Jokingly said he will jump into a river, but forgot the car was still in gear. Racecar launches into river.
Becomes internet famous

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
might have gotten flamed for the racing stripes on teh forumz.
Jokingly said he will jump into a river, but forgot the car was still in gear. Racecar launches into river.
Becomes internet famous

And this is why the internet needs #safespaces

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
I've seen the "safety" thing argued both ways... shovel it, but don't do a good enough job, and someone trips/slips and suddenly you're liable for that, too. I prefer to just leave it "unimproved".
This is true. Source: work at a work comp/litigation defense firm.

Status
Not open for further replies.