GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question about modifying my GTI.

Jwendling98

So, I drive a 2014 GTI wolfsburg edition (PZEV) and I have a few questions
I dont make the greatest amount of money so just bare with me on some of these questions.

Do I need a tune to run a aftermarket downpipe?

Whats the cheapest but best quality downpipe for CBFA engine codes?

If I go stage 2 (APR) do I need to purchase a new clutch kit?
I have a 6-Speed Manual

Current Aftermarket Modifications
-CTS Turbo Cold Air Intake
-Beluga Racing Light Weight Cat back Exhaust (with stock VW downpipe)

I'm fairly new to the Volkswagen community and still learning about my car as I go in the process of changing things. Any suggestions will help when it comes to the downpipe because due to my car being CBFA and not CCTA they tend to be more expensive and some of the really cheap ones have no reviews to really back up its claimed quality.

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Search. These all have been answered in numerous threads before. This needs to be locked.

slowgti08

Ready to race!
No you dont need a tune if you have an aftermarket downpipe. you will have a CEL at all times due to the cat, no real performance gain with just an aftermarket downpipe and no tune. if you go stage 2 yes you will need a clutch as it will start slipping due to the higher tq, you can baby it but will still need to be replaced to feel the true stage 2 power and downpipes? i seen that USP motorsports DP is pretty well priced, so is the CTS DP. Unitronic and APR DP are too overpriced IMO

Jwendling98

I wouldn't have posted this if I actually found a helpful answer but Ill make sure that its removed

Jwendling98

No you dont need a tune if you have an aftermarket downpipe. you will have a CEL at all times due to the cat, no real performance gain with just an aftermarket downpipe and no tune. if you go stage 2 yes you will need a clutch as it will start slipping due to the higher tq, you can baby it but will still need to be replaced to feel the true stage 2 power and downpipes? i seen that USP motorsports DP is pretty well priced, so is the CTS DP. Unitronic and APR DP are too overpriced IMO

I appreciate your reply it answers my questions perfectly. Thank you

Jwendling98

You obviously did not search.

These are questions that I've needed answered for about of month and have done nothing but search. No need to drop your hammer on a couple questions nazi.

slowgti08

Ready to race!
If you do purchase a downpipe just make sure it is CBFA because CBFA and CCTA are different as CBFA has an extra bung i believe. Of course catless DP are cheaper

Last edited:

Jwendling98

If you do purchase a downpipe just make sure it is CBFA because CBFA and CCTA are different as CBFA has an extra bung i believe

Someone had mentioned that to me but they weren't sure about the extra bung. Once again I appreciate your replies.

slowgti08

Ready to race!
Someone had mentioned that to me but they weren't sure about the extra bung. Once again I appreciate your replies.

No problem man, here to help. My first VW too im still on the stock tune for the fact that i dont want to replace my clutch just yet. once it starts slipping ill put a stage 2 clutch in and go from there. Enjoy the car :D

Jwendling98

No problem man, here to help. My first VW too im still on the stock tune for the fact that i dont want to replace my clutch just yet. once it starts slipping ill put a stage 2 clutch in and go from there. Enjoy the car :D

That was literally my same exact idea :happyanim: need more people like you on this forum to help instead of people who are more concerned about how many times a question has been asked. Good luck with your car too man!

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I wouldn't have posted this if I actually found a helpful answer but Ill make sure that its removed

When you are very new to something as complex/unique as this car you have to ask questions to even begin to know what to search for.

Hey, first, welcome to the forum. And, despite comments to the contrary it is ok to make posts and ask questions even if they have been asked before. Search is overrated and a solo activity. Folks that find a post uninteresting or something that is repetative should just avoid them.

Enthusiast forums are not only an archive of user information it is also a place to engage other "current" enthusiasts and get to know them. There is a diverse group here, from folks new to the forum and their car to others who have been around a long time and really have written and read a lot about their cars.

Mods like downpipes, intakes can be added to a car with a stock tune. Generally you will not see any significant power increase because neither is a choke point for a stock tune. Mostly you will hear new noises. In some cases you may even see a decrease in performance.

Stage One tune power levels are usually based on entirely stock car - no mods. Stage Two usually requires intake and downpipe to reach advertised power levels.

Cheers

Jwendling98

When you are very new to something as complex/unique as this car you have to ask questions to even begin to know what to search for.

Hey, first, welcome to the forum. And, despite comments to the contrary it is ok to make posts and ask questions even if they have been asked before. Search is overrated and a solo activity. Folks that find a post uninteresting or something that is repetative should just avoid them.

Enthusiast forums are not only an archive of user information it is also a place to engage other "current" enthusiasts and get to know them. There is a diverse group here, from folks new to the forum and their car to others who have been around a long time and really have written and read a lot about their cars.

Mods like downpipes, intakes can be added to a car with a stock tune. Generally you will not see any significant power increase because neither is a choke point for a stock tune. Mostly you will hear new noises. In some cases you may even see a decrease in performance.

Stage One tune power levels are usually based on entirely stock car - no mods. Stage Two usually requires intake and downpipe to reach advertised power levels.

Cheers

Thank you for the welcoming to the forum! I totally agree and what most people don't understand is that yes the question has been asked before but there are particular details to that other persons question that might not help me. such as the CBFA engine code issue. Not many people have that model car because they were aware of the slight differences. I'd like to thank you once again for the welcome and very helpful response!

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Thank you for the welcoming to the forum! I totally agree and what most people don't understand is that yes the question has been asked before but there are particular details to that other persons question that might not help me. such as the CBFA engine code issue. Not many people have that model car because they were aware of the slight differences. I'd like to thank you once again for the welcome and very helpful response!

You are welcome, just pay it forward and even when folks are negative don't let the keystrokes get under your skin. Generally the negative posts directed at you are best ignored entirely. We are for the most part happy crazy car enthusiasts but some of us do have a bad day or two every now and then.

Jwendling98

You are welcome, just pay it forward and even when folks are negative don't let the keystrokes get under your skin. Generally the negative posts directed at you are best ignored entirely. We are for the most part happy crazy car enthusiasts but some of us do have a bad day or two every now and then.

I have no problem with getting a long with people I just was hoping this wasn't one of those forums with post nazis on it. I enjoy a nice put together forum/community. Especially with all the helpful responses! I love my car so I just try to get all the right answers before I take her apart.