GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stratified Flash Tunes Released for the MK6 GTI

speeding_ant

Go Kart Newbie
How many miles are on your car? Do you have original coil packs and spark plugs? Are your plugs gapped accordingly? It could be a number of things but it’s good to start with those. Maybe bad gas? If you have a bad afr sensor I’m sure it would throw things off. Switching back to the the ots map probably isn’t a bad idea either until things get sorted out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

42000kms so not much milage at all. Original coil and spark plugs I would presume.

Gas is decent around here, and no knock events are shown..

Stratified say AFR should be sitting around 12ish, shows 13-14.8 at all times, except when decelerating etc.

Otherwise feels really nice, just at WOT it seems to surge.

speeding_ant

Go Kart Newbie
Ha, alright I'm beginning to think that's normal. Might be a storm in a teacup. Surging has gone away so perhaps it was ECU re-learning map?

Had my wife check the sensors while WOT, and she said it was exactly where it should be, 11-12 AFR on WOT and 21-22 PSI boost pressure.

I guess 14ish AFR is to be expect for pottering around then?

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Ha, alright I'm beginning to think that's normal. Might be a storm in a teacup. Surging has gone away so perhaps it was ECU re-learning map?

Had my wife check the sensors while WOT, and she said it was exactly where it should be, 11-12 AFR on WOT and 21-22 PSI boost pressure.

I guess 14ish AFR is to be expect for pottering around then?

The car will want to approach stoichiometric ratio (14.7:1 for 100% gasoline with no ethanol) when cruising around off boost and even at low boost <5psi for efficiency and emissions purposes. Closed loop AFR control there, so 14ish AFR is quite normal for everything but WOT.

ce4

Ready to race!
So i'm planning on doing the AP with Stratified Flash Tune. Sent email questions a week ago and no response (prolly busy and completely understand). Just have a few question on how to order.

WMI: No? I am OEM Fuel system
Fuel Config: I switch fuels, 91 or 93, so I would want the Separate Files - 91\\93 option yes?
Clutch Torque Capacity: Should I go high torque (upgraded clutch/dsg)? My car is DSG.

Thanks! I'd like to get this ordered soon too :D

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
So i'm planning on doing the AP with Stratified Flash Tune. Sent email questions a week ago and no response (prolly busy and completely understand). Just have a few question on how to order.

Fuel Config: I switch fuels, 91 or 93, so I would want the Separate Files - 91\\93 option yes?
Clutch Torque Capacity: Should I go high torque (upgraded clutch/dsg)? My car is DSG.

WMI is water/meth injection, so if you aren't going to be doing that then 'No WMI, OEM Fuel system' is what you want.

You're correct about the fuel config. Pay the extra $50 so you can switch as you want. They'll be 2 separate tuning files they'll have to build for you and you'll be able to store both of them on the cobb AP to switch when you need to.

Yup, get the high torque.

ce4

Ready to race!
WMI is water/meth injection, so if you aren't going to be doing that then 'No WMI, OEM Fuel system' is what you want.

You're correct about the fuel config. Pay the extra $50 so you can switch as you want. They'll be 2 separate tuning files they'll have to build for you and you'll be able to store both of them on the cobb AP to switch when you need to.

Yup, get the high torque.

Awesome!!!! Thank you for the quick response and assistance!

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Awesome!!!! Thank you for the quick response and assistance!

How often do you switch fuels? If primarily 93 octane and only occasionally 91 octane (as is the case with me when I plan to switch to Stratified), you can save $50 and only get the Stratified 93 oct tune, and just switch to base Cobb 91 octane tune to get you by. If you spend more time with 91 octane though, the extra $50 would be well worth it.

ce4

Ready to race!
How often do you switch fuels? If primarily 93 octane and only occasionally 91 octane (as is the case with me when I plan to switch to Stratified), you can save $50 and only get the Stratified 93 oct tune, and just switch to base Cobb 91 octane tune to get you by. If you spend more time with 91 octane though, the extra $50 would be well worth it.

Most of our gas stations around me have 91, but the one I normally hit up (less than a half mile from the house) also has 93. I typical run 91 in the winter (ethanol free) and 93 in summer/spring. And with my constant trips 2 hours south of here, mostly highway and curvy backroads, I want to be able to maximize any monies I put into it. Plus finding 93 is hard to find down there too, well, quality gas is actually hard to find.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

WMI is water methanol injection. If You dont have it you want the one that says OEM fuel system.

Fueling you could do 2 separate files... but it might be a hassle to continuously switch tunes its a full flash process each time not a quick on the fly button press. In my opinion if you want the 93 file than go out of your way to get 93 gas. If you are afraid you might not make it or go places with only 91 gas please only get the 91 tune. It will be a lot easier than switching your map every-time you fill up... probably will put some strain on your battery too, if done at the pump, as its recommended to have it plugged in and charging during the flash process.

Go High torque i am also DSG and i have the high torque file with no issues.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
It will be a lot easier than switching your map every-time you fill up... probably will put some strain on your battery too, if done at the pump, as its recommended to have it plugged in and charging during the flash process.

Isn't that mostly critical only for the initial flash tune when you first get the AP? I thought subsequent map changes only took a couple of minutes and were easier on the battery. My buddy changes the map on his BRZ at the pump pretty regularly (E85 vs 93 oct) without too much issue.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Isn't that mostly critical only for the initial flash tune when you first get the AP? I thought subsequent map changes only took a couple of minutes and were easier on the battery. My buddy changes the map on his BRZ at the pump pretty regularly (E85 vs 93 oct) without too much issue.
I personally wouldnt flash without it connected... would never want the battery to die mid flash

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!

ce4

Ready to race!
I personally wouldnt flash without it connected... would never want the battery to die mid flash

Flash without connection? Not sure I follow. And by battery, do you mean car battery or AP battery?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I didn't have my battery hooked up when I did the initial flash, but my battery was still fairly new. That's the only flash that kicks on the fans and really the only one you need to worry about. After that the flashes are much quicker and don't use up near as much juice from your battery.