GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New RCD330 Plus Headunit with Mirrorlink/Carplay

tzeruk

Hi folks - I'm new posting here but have been lurking for sometime... I just bought the 187B version of this head unit and installed it last night. SO far I'm super happy but I have a couple of questions...

1.) when I hit the phone button on the MFSW when connected via bluetooth, it tries to connect to my phone using the existing BT module... is there any way to defeat this? Will disconnecting the module take care of it?

Anyway - be gentle! It's my first post.

Delete your phone from the MFI bluetooth menu - that does not control if you are connected to the headunit (they are completely separate). You won't need the connection to MFI anymore.

SQADan

Delete your phone from the MFI bluetooth menu - that does not control if you are connected to the headunit (they are completely separate). You won't need the connection to MFI anymore.

So - I did this, and when i would hit the phone button it would still looks for a new phone to connect to... Anyway I did disconnect the bluetooth unit under the passenger seat and that solved the issue in total.

qbnmissile

Does the RCD 330 have an auto play feature where it automatically plays music from your phone once it connects with the bluetooth?

I'm not able to find an answer searching online or through the threads. I realize the autoplay via bluetooth can be disabled on the phone.

Thanks!

SQADan

Does the RCD 330 have an auto play feature where it automatically plays music from your phone once it connects with the bluetooth?

I'm not able to find an answer searching online or through the threads. I realize the autoplay via bluetooth can be disabled on the phone.

Thanks!

As far as I can tell it more or less remembers what you were doing the last time you were in the car... if you were listening via BT, then it will auto play, if you were listening to the radio, it automatically plays the radio etc. I can't recall if there is an autoplay setting in the setup menu - I'll have to check when I head out to my car at lunch time.

Orlinum

Hello guys,

I also installed a RCD330G Plus 187B HU in my 2012 VW Polo.
All is working great exept...the sound, which is very bad compared to my old RCD 310 HU.

I've been looking for a week how to improve the sound (by adjusting Bass/Middle/Trebble but also the equalizer on my phone) but that was unsuccessful. The basses are definitely weaker than before and the sound is getting really dirty when increasing the volume.

However i think i've found the problem : RCD330 is removed from brand new vehicles in China (usually Jetta, New Santana...) and they usually come with only a four speakers audio system (2 tweeters+2 mid-range speakers). My car has six (2 tweeters+4 mid-range speakers).

So I tried to set all the volume in the back of my car (using the Balance/Fader setting on the HU) and only a low and muffled sound was getting out of the speakers !
For those who have at least 6 speakers in their cars, tell me if your speakers are working the same way in the front and at the back of your car.

The solution might come with VCDS but every time we try to modify the code (from 2 speaker channels to 4 speaker channels in Byte 2) we get "Error 31: Request out of range". I think this operation requires a "security access code" in order to be accepted.

Unfortunately I don't have it and I don't have the skills to find it.
I'm currently talking with the man who sold me the HU to fix that issue.

I'll keep you posted.

PS: If anybody has a question about this HU, feel free to ask ;)

Mr_Dog

Ready to race!
Hello guys,

I also installed a RCD330G Plus 187B HU in my 2012 VW Polo.
All is working great exept...the sound, which is very bad compared to my old RCD 310 HU.

I've been looking for a week how to improve the sound (by adjusting Bass/Middle/Trebble but also the equalizer on my phone) but that was unsuccessful. The basses are definitely weaker than before and the sound is getting really dirty when increasing the volume.

However i think i've found the problem : RCD330 is removed from brand new vehicles in China (usually Jetta, New Santana...) and they usually come with only a four speakers audio system (2 tweeters+2 mid-range speakers). My car has six (2 tweeters+4 mid-range speakers).

So I tried to set all the volume in the back of my car (using the Balance/Fader setting on the HU) and only a low and muffled sound was getting out of the speakers !
For those who have at least 6 speakers in their cars, tell me if your speakers are working the same way in the front and at the back of your car.

The solution might come with VCDS but every time we try to modify the code (from 2 speaker channels to 4 speaker channels in Byte 2) we get "Error 31: Request out of range". I think this operation requires a "security access code" in order to be accepted.

Unfortunately I don't have it and I don't have the skills to find it.
I'm currently talking with the man who sold me the HU to fix that issue.

I'll keep you posted.

PS: If anybody has a question about this HU, feel free to ask ;)

You can try switching the radio into Development mode and then making the changes.

My radio came default with 2 + 4 coded.

SQADan

You can try switching the radio into Development mode and then making the changes.

My radio came default with 2 + 4 coded.

Do you know if VCDS or similar can be used to change the UI? Specifically to change the accents and progress bars to red?

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Recently installed this, first impressions:

Install: 10 mins, Easy as can be. Granted I've reinstalled radios in this car at least 10 times now so I consider myself a bit of a professional. Pop off the radio bezel, 4 torx bolts and yank out the radio. Switch over cables and pop on the antenna adapter and reinstall.

Impressions:

Better than even anticipated! Super snappy screen, almost as smooth as my iPhone itself surprisingly. Sure the interface has yellow accents but they are super subtle and don't bother me (and I'm quite OCD about those things normally).

Sound is amazing and maybe even a few more watts than my RCD-510 that just came out for this to go in. I have a stealth 10" sub and amp attached and the entire thing sounds equal to if not better than my previous radio, no distortion issues of any kind.

Carplay is fairly intuitive as you would expect from any apple product. Was happy to see Amazon Music on there as I'm a Prime member and the included selection is awesome. Maps looks great, looking forward to the iOS11 update that includes speedlimits and a few more cool routing features.

Messaging, phone, and the microphone all work decently at least sitting in the parking garage where I installed it. I really don't talk on the phone in the car as I'm generally driving like a maniac.

Taking it for a drive on the way home today to test out more features and the navigation but so far I am impressed and surprised really about how nice it is for the price.

Order with confidence, this thing does not disappoint.

Oh, I bought the B version with the App button and Carplay $225 off ebay

SQADan

Recently installed this, first impressions:

Install: 10 mins, Easy as can be. Granted I've reinstalled radios in this car at least 10 times now so I consider myself a bit of a professional. Pop off the radio bezel, 4 torx bolts and yank out the radio. Switch over cables and pop on the antenna adapter and reinstall.

Impressions:

Better than even anticipated! Super snappy screen, almost as smooth as my iPhone itself surprisingly. Sure the interface has yellow accents but they are super subtle and don't bother me (and I'm quite OCD about those things normally).

Sound is amazing and maybe even a few more watts than my RCD-510 that just came out for this to go in. I have a stealth 10" sub and amp attached and the entire thing sounds equal to if not better than my previous radio, no distortion issues of any kind.

Carplay is fairly intuitive as you would expect from any apple product. Was happy to see Amazon Music on there as I'm a Prime member and the included selection is awesome. Maps looks great, looking forward to the iOS11 update that includes speedlimits and a few more cool routing features.

Messaging, phone, and the microphone all work decently at least sitting in the parking garage where I installed it. I really don't talk on the phone in the car as I'm generally driving like a maniac.

Taking it for a drive on the way home today to test out more features and the navigation but so far I am impressed and surprised really about how nice it is for the price.

Order with confidence, this thing does not disappoint.

Oh, I bought the B version with the App button and Carplay $225 off ebay

Yeah - It's really a great deal given the functionality... worth it for the carplay alone. Did you do make any adjustments or just plug it in and go?

Frazam

Has anybody experienced issues with the USB port on the front of the unit? Mine worked fine for the first few months, but has progressively gotten worse and now the phone is difficult to connect and constantly disconnects while driving.

It seems to be loose, a jiggle of the cable fixes it temporarily. I notice it sometimes disconnects when I drive over a bump in the road. Ultra frustrating!

bgct9a

Has anybody experienced issues with the USB port on the front of the unit? Mine worked fine for the first few months, but has progressively gotten worse and now the phone is difficult to connect and constantly disconnects while driving.

It seems to be loose, a jiggle of the cable fixes it temporarily. I notice it sometimes disconnects when I drive over a bump in the road. Ultra frustrating!

try a new lightning cable, I had the same issue and it turned out that my cable had started to fail.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I

I picked up a coiled/retractable 1m lightning cable off ebay. It's awesome and keeps everything tidy.

Jaber

Modero

Does it do it on other cables too? Sounds like cable issue, or you possible have lint build up in the port.

Juancho69

Has anybody heard about the new R340G unit with Android Auto?

It looks like this R340G is the same as the 187B discussed here, only with a newer firmware version that includes both Carplay and Android Auto.

Hopefully it will only take a firmware upgrade to our 187B, if the Chinese sellers are willing to share this firmware. It wouldn’t hurt if all of us ask our respective seller for the firmware and share when available.

They are already starting to sell on eBay the updated version for Skoda (see item number 172854258764).

Hopefully the VW version will show up soon.