GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Engine and Trans into a MK6

demon342

Ready to race!
Just curious if a mk7 gti engine and trans would fit perfectly without any modifications to a mk6 gti

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
The general layout within the engine bay is rather similar with the ancillaries in basically the same locations so I would think it would be possible for someone with a good mechanical knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Getting the engine itself into the car probably wouldn't be too hard. Getting it to actually run is probably way harder than its worth.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Getting the engine itself into the car probably wouldn't be too hard. Getting it to actually run is probably way harder than its worth.

Yes it would probably be a major headache! But equally it could be one of those times when it appears more difficult than it actually is, I think the engine mounts are even in basically the same spots so it would likely be down to the ECU and sensors as to wether it’s worth it, this is all speculation on my part however!!

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Yes it would probably be a major headache! But equally it could be one of those times when it appears more difficult than it actually is, I think the engine mounts are even in basically the same spots so it would likely be down to the ECU and sensors as to wether it’s worth it, this is all speculation on my part however!!

I feel like the biggest issue would be getting the mk7 ecu to work with mk6 electronics.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Just curious if a mk7 gti engine and trans would fit perfectly without any modifications to a mk6 gti

I bet at the end of the day it would cost more to do that swap than straight up buying a brand new mk7 and selling the mk6 rolling chassis with no engine.

It'd probably be easier to swap in the 2.5T and drivetrain from the 2012-2013 TT RS, because they are at least based on the same platform.

Last edited:

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I bet at the end of the day it would cost more to do that swap than straight up buying a brand new mk7 and selling the mk6 rolling chassis with no engine.

It'd probably be easier to swap in the 2.5T and drivetrain from the 2012-2013 TT RS, because they are at least based on the same platform.
I know that swap has been done into a golf r before

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
I know that swap has been done into a golf r before

Honestly an 8J TT RS is one of the few cars on my list to eventually replace my mk6, although justifying it is much tougher than a new mk7 for a similar amount of money.

Last edited:

zef

Drag Racing Champion
The MK7 GTI platform isn't that much better than the MK6 that it justifies the headache. The only real benefit of the MK7 GTI is the IS38 is a tad quicker than a MK6 KO4. It's like a 20ish HP/TQ difference (according to APR).

smanierre

Autocross Champion
The MK7 GTI platform isn't that much better than the MK6 that it justifies the headache. The only real benefit of the MK7 GTI is the IS38 is a tad quicker than a MK6 KO4. It's like a 20ish HP/TQ difference (according to APR).

I personally prefer the look of a mk6 to a mk7.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do

The mk7 gang think its a complete gamechanger and makes them into supercars for some reason. I did a few highway pulls against an is38 mk7 and kept up within 1/2 car length. Granted I have a k04 and water/meth. I'd expect the gap to be a lot more without the water/meth but it's nowhere near as much more power than the scene makes it out to be.

The stamped steel subframe and crappier suspension components make me glad I have a mk6 instead.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
The mk7 gang think its a complete gamechanger and makes them into supercars for some reason. I did a few highway pulls against an is38 mk7 and kept up within 1/2 car length. Granted I have a k04 and water/meth. I'd expect the gap to be a lot more without the water/meth but it's nowhere near as much more power than the scene makes it out to be.

The stamped steel subframe and crappier suspension components make me glad I have a mk6 instead.

Agreed 100%

I personally prefer the look of a mk6 to a mk7.

I think I prefer the sharper angles on the front of the MK7 a little bit more than the roundish shape of the MK6. But add a nice aggressive lip and you're golden.

But yes the rear end of the mk7 is hideous.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Agreed 100%

I think I prefer the sharper angles on the front of the MK7 a little bit more than the roundish shape of the MK6. But add a nice aggressive lip and you're golden.

But yes the rear end of the mk7 is hideous.

I have yet to see a tail light I like more than the MK6 leds. I do see what you're saying with the sharper front ends, an R bumper gives it a pretty aggressive look though.