GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

At my wits end with steering wheel vibration

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Why are you replacing the caliper and not just cleaning the sliding area and replacing the pins? ( i did read you think the piston is sticking- rebuild it?)
If you figured the rotor's were the shaking issue that's really great!!
I've had a vibration in my steering wheel as well and it's so intermittent I just live with it however this weekend I will go check/ replace my slider pins to see if that's the case. buying them from VW OEM is tad pricey ($26.62 ea).... so maybe Napa ($6.29/pair) or Parts Source ($5.99 ea)

Last edited:
Why are you replacing the caliper and not just cleaning the sliding area and replacing the pins? ( i did read you think the piston is sticking- rebuild it?)
If you figured the rotor's were the shaking issue that's really great!!
I've had a vibration in my steering wheel as well and it's so intermittent I just live with it however this weekend I will go check/ replace my slider pins to see if that's the case. buying them from VW OEM is tad pricey so maybe Napa or Parts Source

After looking up the prices I'm gonna try just cleaning them up really good first.

Verserk-MK6

Ready to race!
I have 17Z Brakes and it better not be my Brakes.
I am going to try the turbulence stuff first--belly pan and the subframe bolts...that i still have not installed after having them for years.

My strong vibrations only come on after heavy acceleration 65+ MPH some very small vibration when cruising 70+

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
I've been battling this same issue for over 2 years. My steering wheel vibrates whenever I travel at 70 to 80 mph. This vibration gets stronger when I accelerate while at that speed or if I give slight steering input. I've replace a rim, and gone through two sets of tires without any luck whatsoever. Checked all the components and they all checked out fine, even paid a VW dealer to check everything over for me again too. The next thing on my list is a suspension refresh (springs/shocks).

I've been battling this same issue for over 2 years. My steering wheel vibrates whenever I travel at 70 to 80 mph. This vibration gets stronger when I accelerate while at that speed or if I give slight steering input. I've replace a rim, and gone through two sets of tires without any luck whatsoever. Checked all the components and they all checked out fine, even paid a VW dealer to check everything over for me again too. The next thing on my list is a suspension refresh (springs/shocks).

Well it wasn't the brakes, that was just a fluke I guess. I'm thinking it must be the steering rack.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
i have the tyrolsport stiffening kit with new rotors, and it still shakes for me. just saying...

the real solution is to get a MK7... ;)

Whats the thesis for brake pins/calipers anyway? I can see warped rotors causing constant vibration, not intemrittent. If a brake pin is siezed, mayyybe I can see it somehow interfering with the rotor by having the caliper closed just enough to catch a warped rotor each rotation, again this would be a constant issue, in my non-educated opinion

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
When the new control arms went in did it get new bushings at the rear position? How do the sway bar end links look? Sway bar mount bushings? Have you checked to ensure all of the subframe bolts are tight? Are the steering rack bolts all tight?

i have the tyrolsport stiffening kit with new rotors, and it still shakes for me. just saying...

the real solution is to get a MK7... ;)

Whats the thesis for brake pins/calipers anyway? I can see warped rotors causing constant vibration, not intemrittent. If a brake pin is siezed, mayyybe I can see it somehow interfering with the rotor by having the caliper closed just enough to catch a warped rotor each rotation, again this would be a constant issue, in my non-educated opinion

Was thinking possibly a caliper was sticking, but that wasnt the case, checked the rotors with infrared thermometer after a drive and there was no difference in temp.

When the new control arms went in did it get new bushings at the rear position? How do the sway bar end links look? Sway bar mount bushings? Have you checked to ensure all of the subframe bolts are tight? Are the steering rack bolts all tight?

I installed new control arms that had new bushings, sway bar links are new, bushings dont seem to have any slop. Subframe was dropped and checked when the new LCAs were installed, not sure about the rack bolts though, I will check them out.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
would you keep us updated Im still interested as I have a similar issue at 60-70 with ANY slight steering input

would you keep us updated Im still interested as I have a similar issue at 60-70 with ANY slight steering input

Here's my update, after doing all that I listed already in the thread, I replaced the power steering rack to no avail. That was the last straw for me, sold the car for 7k and cut my losses.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
You're telling me... I've never had a car problem before that I couldn't solve, really a let down. What really sucks is I had also just bought all the tools and done the timing chain, guides and tensioner as well.

it does suck but good for you for getting rid of it lol. Mines been my best friend and my worst fucking enemy and I've had my finger on the selling trigger for years. So many strange problems that none of my other car friends have ever experienced before