GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

At my wits end with steering wheel vibration

torga

Autocross Champion

cchase__

Ready to race!
Yes in the link removes the turbulence at high speeds. My steering wheel shake is completely gone now

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
Oh wow, it even shows up as an option under Mk6 in ECS. Looking at the images side-by-side I can see how much more it covers. Looks like you have to take it off to drain your oil, so that might suck a little. I guess another reason to get an extractor ;)

Something else for my wishlist...

riceburner

Autocross Champion
i do recommend the r32 undertray for all sorts of heat management and aero effects but it certainly did not do anything for my steering wheel shake.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Do they make those in aluminum? Thought I had seen them some place..maybe cut a hole out with a hole saw below the drain plug

cchase__

Ready to race!
Ah well riceburner I'm not sure then. I installed vwr springs and the undertray in my garage and after that my steering shake was gone.

cchase__

Ready to race!
I did also change the subframe bolts to the reinforced ones. My clunking is now gone and maybe that was a contributing factor in wheel shake? Maybe it's the subframe shaking which then shakes the lower control arms? Not sure

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Ah well riceburner I'm not sure then. I installed vwr springs and the undertray in my garage and after that my steering shake was gone.

All good, there's no clear cut answer on how to rid the shake; just didn't do anything in my case specifically. All these solutions collectively seem to help though lol

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Well if anyone cares, I think I have figured out my shaking...after 9 months and thousands of dollars. Week before last I was researching other vw forums and kept seeing people say that replacing the rotors fixed their shaking, so I figured what the hell its only a hundred more dollars. I had a strong suspicion that the rotors wouldnt fix it, but I installed them anyway, and when I was doing it I decided to check my slider pins. They were dry as a bone and were covered in rubber residue on parts of the shaft. I cleaned them up some and slapped some silicone paste on them. Went for a drive for about 30 miles and the shake was completely gone.

I was so happy I may have shed a tear. Fast forward a week and the car sat the whole time I was at the beach. Came back and was super happy to drive it to work with no vibration. Well I guess the calipers got seized somehow sitting for a week, which tells me maybe one of the pistons is sticking or maybe just the friction between the sliders caused it to stick again.

Anyway, I'm going to replace both calipers and see what happens. I'm 99% sure this is the cause because its intermittent and theres literally nothing else that it can be. I'll post an updated after I install them. If this doesnt fix it I'll be burning the car to the ground and getting the insurance money.

mataempat

Passed Driver's Ed
Well if anyone cares, I think I have figured out my shaking...after 9 months and thousands of dollars. Week before last I was researching other vw forums and kept seeing people say that replacing the rotors fixed their shaking, so I figured what the hell its only a hundred more dollars. I had a strong suspicion that the rotors wouldnt fix it, but I installed them anyway, and when I was doing it I decided to check my slider pins. They were dry as a bone and were covered in rubber residue on parts of the shaft. I cleaned them up some and slapped some silicone paste on them. Went for a drive for about 30 miles and the shake was completely gone.

I was so happy I may have shed a tear. Fast forward a week and the car sat the whole time I was at the beach. Came back and was super happy to drive it to work with no vibration. Well I guess the calipers got seized somehow sitting for a week, which tells me maybe one of the pistons is sticking or maybe just the friction between the sliders caused it to stick again.

Anyway, I'm going to replace both calipers and see what happens. I'm 99% sure this is the cause because its intermittent and theres literally nothing else that it can be. I'll post an updated after I install them. If this doesnt fix it I'll be burning the car to the ground and getting the insurance money.

Hi,

Would you be able to post some pictures of said caliper slide pins? I might have the same problem albeit I'm on a Golf instead of of a GTI.