GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tail Light Issues

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
Ive got the same lights out and it's not the bulbs. Its in the wiring harness in the hatch. I've not had time to pull apart but I think the rear washer line is leaking causing a corrosion issue .

itssunnyb

Ive got the same lights out and it's not the bulbs. Its in the wiring harness in the hatch. I've not had time to pull apart but I think the rear washer line is leaking causing a corrosion issue .
Does yours come on for a bit then turn off after a few seconds then give your the bulb errors on your dash.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion

I was gonna say this next but hoping it wasn't the case. I tried looking at wiring on my system but for whatever reason it didn't have the hatch lights. :cry:

itssunnyb

I was gonna say this next but hoping it wasn't the case. I tried looking at wiring on my system but for whatever reason it didn't have the hatch lights. :cry:
Yeah, gonna check that out this weekend. Is there some device i can use to detect a splice in the wire or would a multimeter work.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Without knowing exactly where the connectors are or pin locations at the cecm your easiest route is gonna be just pulling the hatch trim and taking a look. Check connectors, and for evidence of chafing or broken wires anywhere or near the boot into the body.

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
Does yours come on for a bit then turn off after a few seconds then give your the bulb errors on your dash.
Yep. And sometimes one will work and then next time it won't. Which makes me suspect a harness issue. The computer will turn off the light if it detects high resistance to protect the circuit.

Damn rolling computer we call a car yet love it!

itssunnyb

Yep. And sometimes one will work and then next time it won't. Which makes me suspect a harness issue. The computer will turn off the light if it detects high resistance to protect the circuit.

Damn rolling computer we call a car yet love it!
Yup same exact issue, gonna take a look at this weekend and hopefully nothing crazy.

itssunnyb

So I was able to go through the whole car today. Took the back trim out and all plugs and connectors look fine check all connectors with a multimeter and noting is grounding. I also purchased obd eleven and scan for codes so I get a fault code for Left and right tail light lamp and both code ( Short circuit to ground) and i ve tested every connector for continuity. I think imma have to let the dealer deal with it.

Sunny_gti

hello, did you ever manage to resolve this problem?

I have the same exact issue on my 2013 gti

chee
I have had the same problem and fix it today as all bulbs and wiring were fine so tool the bulbs out of the boot and replaced them with t10 5w and it has fixed all the problems and its bright enough

NZ__GTi

I have had the same problem and fix it today as all bulbs and wiring were fine so tool the bulbs out of the boot and replaced them with t10 5w and it has fixed all the problems and its bright enough
Thanks for the info mate - I tried this today and the error is gone!

It’s been annoying me for over 6 months now so it’s really nice to get it “sorted”

haven’t seen them in the dark yet - hope they are bright enough!