GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mechanical issue, car makes slight squeaking when going over ANY type of bumps, need help diagnosing (video in description)

havethenets

https://streamable.com/3qxfr?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf the car makes the small squeaking noise you can hear in the last two seconds, it doesn’t matter if the bump is small or not. the noise happens regardless. i’m really not sure what it could be and was wondering if anyone has had this issue... if it helps my car also makes thump noises whenever it’s stationary and i move the wheel both ways. however, if that’s a separate issue what could that be? all noises are coming from the front it seems. thank you guys!

torga

Autocross Champion
Your thump noises could be bad front endlinks, balljoints, tie rods, or any combination of those things. Your squeaks could very well be related to one of those worn components.

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
What Torga states above ^^ is a likely culprit, @150km’ish...yes Canadian rulers are weird...I did suspension and my car was sounding like that. The suspension mounts were noisy, the shocks were pogoing, and my mechanic was showing me how bad my end links were we noticed the axle was shot too. These are all interconnected, but, this is a Volkswagen....until I found the striker plate 3M tape mod my car squeaked like banshee..making the same noise(in motion).

Last edited:

JW with a VW

Go Kart Champion
https://streamable.com/3qxfr?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf the car makes the small squeaking noise you can hear in the last two seconds, it doesn’t matter if the bump is small or not. the noise happens regardless. i’m really not sure what it could be and was wondering if anyone has had this issue... if it helps my car also makes thump noises whenever it’s stationary and i move the wheel both ways. however, if that’s a separate issue what could that be? all noises are coming from the front it seems. thank you guys!

JW with a VW

Go Kart Champion
Mine creaks like an old man's legs...think it is the strut hats. I'm bagged, so it's hard to nail it down.

havethenets

Your thump noises could be bad front endlinks, balljoints, tie rods, or any combination of those things. Your squeaks could very well be related to one of those worn components.
could it be a cv axle? how can i tell? my cars at 63k miles btw

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
If you you have someone you trust and it’s duplicating the issue it’s time to get it looked at. Process of elimination. If you’re uncertain about a hefty$$$ dealership experience, perhaps you live in an area where there’s some Indy euro shops.

tzd

Ready to race!
Before spending any money on suspension, please check your rear seat backs.

You know how the rear seat backs can be folded down? When you release the latch on each side to fold the rear seat back down, a red tab will pop up next to the latch. Check if the red tab is showing. If it is, fold the seat down, and then slam it back upright harder, so that the red tab fully disappears. Then check if you still get squeaks when driving over bumps.

torga

Autocross Champion
Good tip for squeaking in general! Worth a check, OP.

But OP also cited clunking when turning the wheel, and that's 100% gonna be a suspension issue.

Gr8N0rthW0lf

Go Kart Champion
What Torga states above ^^ is a likely culprit, @150km’ish...yes Canadian rulers are weird...I did suspension and my car was sounding like that. The suspension mounts were noisy, the shocks were pogoing, and my mechanic was showing me how bad my end links were we noticed the axle was shot too. These are all interconnected, but, this is a Volkswagen....until I found the striker plate 3M tape mod my car squeaked like banshee..making the same noise(in motion).

Would you mind sending me a pic of this on your car? I just bought a 2010 GTI a couple months ago and the squeaking from my driver door has been driving me nuts! Most of the pics in the old threads on the topic don't exist anymore/don't show up. Just trying to get a good idea of where to apply the tape so I can get it right the first time

torga

Autocross Champion
Here's a quick diagram I drew up, looking top-down on the striker.
IMG_20200212_131141.jpg

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
exactly as above ^^Torga is on it as usual:geek:

Before spending any money on suspension, please check your rear seat backs.

You know how the rear seat backs can be folded down? When you release the latch on each side to fold the rear seat back down, a red tab will pop up next to the latch. Check if the red tab is showing. If it is, fold the seat down, and then slam it back upright harder, so that the red tab fully disappears. Then check if you still get squeaks when driving over bumps.

*use this same taping method as illustrated above on the back seat strikers...there's some higher grade 3M product if I can find the SKU...electrical tape definitely works, just replace it periodically

**I also find using a good rubber/vinyl conditioner on all of the rubber seals around the door and hatch makes a difference for me. Only problem now is the cabin is so quiet you hear the other stuff......lol

***almost forgot...use a graphite lubricant or something into the locking mechanisms that are in the door itself(locks around the striker plate)....the small squeaks and rattles travel up the B-piller and mess with your mind......

**** 4 asterix's....I know aggressive....also as Torga posted recently in his build thread and I've done the same is check that your door is aligned properly...you can easily align it by adjusting the striker plate. My drivers side was way off and my passenger side was like the Sistine Chapel?‍♂️. Technically a fifth asterix, but, hatch too...mine wasn't aligned too well and the rubber adjustable bump stop thingy's were all backed off and not providing any support.

Last edited: