GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

To Hi-HP MPI CARS! ~ PSA

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
DBV2 turbos seem to fail at a far greater rate than any stock turbo, yet no one talks about it. I know two different people who have each blown at least 2 DBV2s each. BS anecdotal evidence, I get it. TBB, journal- doesn’t seem to matter. People need to stop buying them.
How many have you seen fail? Coming from an eqt and now a dbv2 I'd say it's a good turbo so far. Lol my eqt couldn't handle it so it decided to blow but not many talk about how many of those blew up either

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
DBV2 turbos seem to fail at a far greater rate than any stock turbo, yet no one talks about it. I know two different people who have each blown at least 2 DBV2s each. BS anecdotal evidence, I get it. TBB, journal- doesn’t seem to matter. People need to stop buying them.

People don't need to stop buying them. They are put together better than a lot of these hybrids out there. So 2 members had their TBB popped, so what. That's 2 out of a shit ton of turbos that he has sold. So far my journal bearing has been kicking ass and it's been on my car for about a year now. I popped 3 turbos from a different vendor so I'd say the DBV2 is a solid choice.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
How many have you seen fail? Coming from an eqt and now a dbv2 I'd say it's a good turbo so far. Lol my eqt couldn't handle it so it decided to blow but not many talk about how many of those blew up either
Ya, that’s very interesting. No one seems to talk about their blown turbos unless it’s a stock IHI(buyer’s remorse)? A friend of mine blew 2 dbv2s, which two diff tuners, and is still having problems with this third. And another friend’s friend has a similar story. Turbos blow, maybe I just hear more about dbv2s than others. I still would not buy one

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
People don't need to stop buying them. They are put together better than a lot of these hybrids out there. So 2 members had their TBB popped, so what. That's 2 out of a shit ton of turbos that he has sold. So far my journal bearing has been kicking ass and it's been on my car for about a year now. I popped 3 turbos from a different vendor so I'd say the DBV2 is a solid choice.
How many dbv2s would you say are on mk7s? 100? I know of at least 7, including this OP. So let’s take and guess and say there’s a 5-7% failure rate? You think 5-7% of IHI turbos on the hundreds of thousands of mk7s around the world fail? I doubt that.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
How many dbv2s would you say are on mk7s? 100? I know of at least 7, including this OP. So let’s take and guess and say there’s a 5-7% failure rate? You think 5-7% of IHI turbos on the hundreds of thousands of mk7s around the world fail? I doubt that.
I wouldn't say the failure rate is that high but I've always been very unlucky (crank walk, now this, etc.) Dbv2 is sending us brand new core with brass cages and we're gonna swap over the internals and clock it/seal it ourselves. But I'm not so sure the turbo failed FIRST. I think it's VERY possible a piece of piston detonated and went out the valves lol.

I'll know for sure in a few hours I guess. Need a boroscope to really see, but to be honest I'm almost positive what happened is what happened to Hoon a while back from the track. His basket cavitated sending air into the lines and chipping apart the top of multiple pistons. After a few hundred miles his engine developed a knock sound and everyone assumed it was done. Then he just kept driving it and it just randomly went away. Drove and beat that car for another 20k miles before blowby finally killed it.

The point is... should I wait (probably 18days) for a replacement core or put the is20 on it for now to make sure the motor is ok?

lol @ a MOOSE tuned 525/mpi is20. Most built is20 on the street :ROFLMAO:

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I bet they would if people tried pushing them to 32psi at 7k..... BT modders are hard on turbos. No one buys a DBV2 to cap it at 25psi.
They’re supposed to be made for that. Journal bearing seems to be a little more stout than the tbb- those are hot garbage. People can buy dbv2s if they’d like, it’s their money. I’ll just keep sitting here smugly laughing to myself every time I read or hear about someone on their 3rd and 4th ones. Personally, I would not put one on my car- not only due to them blowing, but they’re laggy as shit. You can get similar numbers from an EQT with. 500-1000rpm faster spool

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
They’re supposed to be made for that. Journal bearing seems to be a little more stout than the tbb- those are hot garbage. People can buy dbv2s if they’d like, it’s their money. I’ll just keep sitting here smugly laughing to myself every time I read or hear about someone on their 3rd and 4th ones. Personally, I would not put one on my car- not only due to them blowing, but they’re laggy as shit. You can get similar numbers from an EQT with. 500-1000rpm faster spool
And you could be one of the far too many blown EQT turbo group as well. Failure rate of those isn't low either.

Laughing at people's misfortune isn't cool BTW.

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
There are lessons to be learnt from this thread. Like most things in life it’s best to take a deep breath before you open your mouth or start typing.
This is yet another example of someone venting w/o doing their due diligence first. I get it, lots of people hate CTS, but holy fuck has this thread flip flopped all over the place.
There are definitely better ways to go about things than starting a rant.
I have had many problems with my mk7s , some serious, some extremely stressful yet i leanrt my lessons a long time ago. Never type when you are emotional.
To the OP, i really do hope you figure this out and start a new thread based on fact.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT

Not with the regular Vortex, you can't get similar numbers. With the XL, sure, but you have to be on MPI running full E85 and that turbo is a little laggy.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Not with the regular Vortex, you can't get similar numbers. With the XL, sure, but you have to be on MPI running full E85 and that turbo is a little laggy.
The XL isn't doing what a TBB v2 is doing at 6800 on 33 psi. It just isn't. But is it smart to rev a GTI head to 7000rpm where this turbo is making ALL the beans? Probably not.

The TBB has great spool it's just most tuners delay boost on purpose so a rod doesn't do what mine almost did.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
There are lessons to be learnt from this thread. Like most things in life it’s best to take a deep breath before you open your mouth or start typing.
This is yet another example of someone venting w/o doing their due diligence first. I get it, lots of people hate CTS, but holy fuck has this thread flip flopped all over the place.
There are definitely better ways to go about things than starting a rant.
I have had many problems with my mk7s , some serious, some extremely stressful yet i leanrt my lessons a long time ago. Never type when you are emotional.
To the OP, i really do hope you figure this out and start a new thread based on fact.
It's been quite a roller coaster you have to admit. I can't make this shit up. All of this posted HAS happened. Unless the words I THINK came before it, I do my "due diligence" was it?
CTS guy came in here to discredit and distract from the fact they sent wrong injectors to me and then didn't provide any information when asked. Also to post someones social account without permission I believe is a violation of the rules here.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
The XL isn't doing what a TBB v2 is doing at 6800 on 33 psi. It just isn't. But is it smart to rev a GTI head to 7000rpm where this turbo is making ALL the beans? Probably not.

The TBB has great spool it's just most tuners delay boost on purpose so a rod doesn't do what mine almost did.

You're right but I was referring to my journal bearing in that post. Guess I should have clarified that.