GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

To Hi-HP MPI CARS! ~ PSA

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Not misfortune, poor decisions. Don't tell me you've never watched "Cops"... I like Twist- I support anyone out there spankin v8s with a 4 banger!
classic case of racecar doing racecar stuff. Nothing wrong with DBV2 or turing up the PSI. As I said before, turning it up to 500hp yata yata is always risky no matter the turbo, fuel choices ect. but you do come off like a donkey, his turbo took a dump and engine could be shot and your out here accusing people of making bad decisions... smh

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
classic case of racecar doing racecar stuff. Nothing wrong with DBV2 or turing up the PSI. As I said before, turning it up to 500hp yata yata is always risky no matter the turbo, fuel choices ect. but you do come off like a donkey, his turbo took a dump and engine could be shot and your out here accusing people of making bad decisions... smh

I agree. Ad exactly how was Twist1 being sent the wrong injectors a bad decision?

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I agree. Ad exactly how was Twist1 being sent the wrong injectors a bad decision?
DBV2 was the bad decision, not injectors, as that was clearly not a decision on his part. Not directed to OP specifically, just in general about DBV. Hope his engine is good. I remember a time not long ago when people were touting DBV2s are having "0" turbo failures when I personally knew of 5, coming from just 2 people! Baffled me. Small sample size, sure. Have had multiple people with DBV2 failures say they wish they had went with EQT. I stand by my statement that DBV2s seems to fail a rate far greater than other turbos, stock or aftermarket, on this platform.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
DBV2 was the bad decision, not injectors, as that was clearly not a decision on his part. Not directed to OP specifically, just in general about DBV. Hope his engine is good. I remember a time not long ago when people were touting DBV2s are having "0" turbo failures when I personally knew of 5, coming from just 2 people! Baffled me. Small sample size, sure. Have had multiple people with DBV2 failures say they wish they had went with EQT. I stand by my statement that DBV2s seems to fail a rate far greater than other turbos, stock or aftermarket, on this platform.

The problem is that it's just speculation as to whose turbos break the most. I would need to see official info and I don't think that it exists.

vegatune

Passed Driver's Ed
I would stay away from hybrid turbos. They just have a tendency to take a crap. Force performance the xona turbo builders had a lot of issues with fp hybrids in the Evo community. To the point they would void your warranty on the turbo if you didn’t run there recommended oil lines and oil. The hybrid journal turbos tend to last longer because they are less sensitive to oil pressure changes. BB turbos are just a pain with modified cartridges just because of the oil restrictor you have to run on them. If it’s not built in. I would rebuild the turbo and sell it. Get yourself a Garrett or an efr. More money but worth it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I would stay away from hybrid turbos. They just have a tendency to take a crap. Force performance the xona turbo builders had a lot of issues with fp hybrids in the Evo community. To the point they would void your warranty on the turbo if you didn’t run there recommended oil lines and oil. The hybrid journal turbos tend to last longer because they are less sensitive to oil pressure changes. BB turbos are just a pain with modified cartridges just because of the oil restrictor you have to run on them. If it’s not built in. I would rebuild the turbo and sell it. Get yourself a Garrett or an efr. More money but worth it.

If you stay away from hybrid turbos then you're stuck with OEM which are worse. My OEM IS38 is getting replaced next week because of leaking bearing seals which is common on the OEM IS38. A TPC20 hybrid is taking it's place.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
If you stay away from hybrid turbos then you're stuck with OEM which are worse. My OEM IS38 is getting replaced next week because of leaking bearing seals which is common on the OEM IS38. A TPC20 hybrid is taking it's place.
he is saying to go with an actual aftermarket 3rd party turbo that’s retrofitted to mount to the factory head, Like the apr efr kit or an iroz xona kit... on that subject, iroz just posted this with thier ims780 kit, haha.

3988D2FE-9D30-42C7-9D52-9DFAD92ED10D.jpeg

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
You're the only one that seems to think this. Turbos fail like anything else. Xona is the turbo god butnhave they seen failures? Yes but no one here will see them cause not many here are spending 6k on a turbo setup. Having an eqt and a dbv2 I can rest assure you the dbv is better quality at very similar spool. My eqt lasted 3 weeks if that says anything and theres been tons of others as well. If 2 people went through 5 turbos then theres gotta be some installation error on their part or something.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
People typically dont make posts when everything is working fine, typically you are asking questions to resolve an issue or bragging about an upgrade you made :p. The people with issues are typically the vocal minority. And with some of these users I see on here getting shops to do crazy builds with no knowledge of how and what they did im surprised it actually works.

I have a simple setup for a reason as im not a mechanic. I do my research but when MPI starts getting mixed in, needing torqbyte controllers and modifying the fuel pump basket its all a bit much for me.