GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Must do OBD11 Modifications?

Maybematt

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE (auto)
In preparation to my OBD11 coming, what are your must do mods? From what I've read, the changes I want to do are below. I'll figure out how to when i get the dongle. I'll prob spend like an hour sitting in my car looking through every section.

Traction Control:
Button press = ESC/ASR fully off. or do you have to hold it off as a function. Can you also have it off upon start up? I believe you also need to change starting vibrations reduction to off

Revs at idle
Up it around 200, I read somewhere in the past you can only raise it 150. This is to reduce idle vibrations and take-off & slowing down to a stop (I hope).

I don't know how many credits (believe credits can also be earned logging in everyday, and watching videos) are needed for what, and what exactly the difference is between regular vs Pro, but I got the pro. People state that it lets you manually change things, but without the app and dongle to play with, I'm not sure what that means. I presume there are only a few preset things you can choose from if you get the regular version. Does anyone know if you get the pro version, make the specific changes, and don't renew the Pro subscription, the changes you made stay active? I presume and hope it's a yes. But high likelihood I'll just renew as it's inexpensive. Some of the stuff I've read are quite old, so things may have been updated.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
You didn’t mention iPhone or Android. I’m not 100% but I believe Android has a full feature set from purchase but iPhone doesn’t. Long coding will get it done but you have to do the work. It’s the better bet since I have read various problems from the apps. The apps do all the work for you, but they cost credits. I’m not familiar with how the subscription system works since I bought mine before it was implemented.

As for the changes staying, yes. Those settings are changed in the car, so nothing will change those unless you go back into to change them back.

As I mentioned above, I am pretty sure the pro gives you long coding access. Long coding is done on a module level by change bytes on or off to enable features, basically.

You can reset your oil life interval. I like the all windows down/up with the fob buttons. Useful on hot days by rolling them down 20 minutes before you leave. If you change your rear tail lights to dynamics, you can adapt the necessary coding to make that work. There are tons of options and pages of things to change. All the apps listed in OBD11 don’t necessarily apply to your specific vehicle.

Maybematt

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE (auto)
You didn’t mention iPhone or Android. I’m not 100% but I believe Android has a full feature set from purchase but iPhone doesn’t. Long coding will get it done but you have to do the work. It’s the better bet since I have read various problems from the apps. The apps do all the work for you, but they cost credits. I’m not familiar with how the subscription system works since I bought mine before it was implemented.

As for the changes staying, yes. Those settings are changed in the car, so nothing will change those unless you go back into to change them back.

As I mentioned above, I am pretty sure the pro gives you long coding access. Long coding is done on a module level by change bytes on or off to enable features, basically.

You can reset your oil life interval. I like the all windows down/up with the fob buttons. Useful on hot days by rolling them down 20 minutes before you leave. If you change your rear tail lights to dynamics, you can adapt the necessary coding to make that work. There are tons of options and pages of things to change. All the apps listed in OBD11 don’t necessarily apply to your specific vehicle.
Ah forgot that was a thing. Unfortunately I have an iPhone (gift, I prefer android). I feel like coding will make me brick the computer so I'll probably stay away from that. But if there's safe copy and paste codes, I may use that.

I see I see. Thanks for all the info! Excited to see what it has to offer. If anything, I can probably borrow an android phone to set some stuff up initially.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Ah forgot that was a thing. Unfortunately I have an iPhone (gift, I prefer android). I feel like coding will make me brick the computer so I'll probably stay away from that. But if there's safe copy and paste codes, I may use that.

I see I see. Thanks for all the info! Excited to see what it has to offer. If anything, I can probably borrow an android phone to set some stuff up initially.
Some people use Cheap android tablets for this alone. Coding wont brick the computer per se, it will make some wonky stuff happen. Any of the long coding instructions you would need would be available step by step. There are some good videos out there as well.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
I've done the traction control mod (I think). Basically a long hold will turn it off completely (I think, lol). It definitely feels a lot different with it completely off. I think after enough using it, I prefer to leave it on and when I decide to turn it off, I rather have that option. I think having it on in the event of crappy weather is better than having it off. Having it always on by default will be better in the event I get so used to it being off that I forget to turn it back during crappy weather. I don't know, just my 2cents on that.

I also used the app to disable Soundaktor. Pretty sure that is all I've done so far.

There are a ton of things you can do and as others mentioned, not all of it applies to your vehicle and it will indicate that if you go to the option. I think most of it though is preference based. Some people might like all windows down with the touch of a button, some might not. There really are a lot of preference ideas with it that I think VW could of done but elected not to in that the majority would prefer the car the way they programmed it. These little side extras are really for some people and not all that would prefer them.

Maybematt

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE (auto)
Some people use Cheap android tablets for this alone. Coding wont brick the computer per se, it will make some wonky stuff happen. Any of the long coding instructions you would need would be available step by step. There are some good videos out there as well.
Hm I wonder if my Chromebook will do the job. I have an old Moto g first gen in my closet that probably won't work lol.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Soundactor off, windows up with remote, fog's as DRL's if you've got em.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Soundactor off, windows up with remote, fog's as DRL's if you've got em.

Not sure about fogs as DRLs. Unless you don't have the "U" shaped headlights. They look way nicer on during the day than fogs.

Maybematt

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE (auto)
I've done the traction control mod (I think). Basically a long hold will turn it off completely (I think, lol). It definitely feels a lot different with it completely off. I think after enough using it, I prefer to leave it on and when I decide to turn it off, I rather have that option. I think having it on in the event of crappy weather is better than having it off. Having it always on by default will be better in the event I get so used to it being off that I forget to turn it back during crappy weather. I don't know, just my 2cents on that.

I also used the app to disable Soundaktor. Pretty sure that is all I've done so far.

There are a ton of things you can do and as others mentioned, not all of it applies to your vehicle and it will indicate that if you go to the option. I think most of it though is preference based. Some people might like all windows down with the touch of a button, some might not. There really are a lot of preference ideas with it that I think VW could of done but elected not to in that the majority would prefer the car the way they programmed it. These little side extras are really for some people and not all that would prefer them.
True. Just seeing what options I have. I'll have esc off most of the time since the roads here are almost always dry and not too banged up. When it's raining, I'll probably keep it on. I'm also having issues with this site on the PC. Is that a common issue or potentially my work firewall lol.
And yes soundaktor off!

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Hm I wonder if my Chromebook will do the job. I have an old Moto g first gen in my closet that probably won't work lol.
You may be able to check on their site. They use an app. Not familiar with a chromebooks availability app wise.

One thing I cannot stand about OBD11 is the internet requirement. It has to be connected to work. Ridiculous.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Not sure about fogs as DRLs. Unless you don't have the "U" shaped headlights. They look way nicer on during the day than fogs.
Should have been more clear. Fogs as DRL in addition to the LP DRL’s.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Windows from the remote should have been a factory setting. Definitely do that one.

I like the way urban joke V2 behaves on the 7.5 so I've got that set on mine.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I can’t remember all the things I did.

Window down with remote, DRL dims with turn signal, removed NAR restriction on headlight, turned down Soundaktor, changes the background of the middle display…

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Can you program it to ignore if you put leds where any of the bulbs go, like the license plate lights?