GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
Now that the car is settled in, I took it for diag drive to try to determine the slight creak/pop at very low speeds. Will put it back in the air to check/retorque all suspension and subframe components. Had to stop and grab a pic with the weather today.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Boring day, closing out 4th week of being unemployed, one more to go till new job starts. So, time to do maintenance items with parts already purchased and laying about because no time before.

New cabin air filter and cleaned my push-to-start button which had become a push and make a wish button. lol

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I’ll start it up when it’s stone cold and listen for piston slap and look for smoke, but if that’s fine and there’s no metal shavings anywhere I’ll just chalk it up as a near miss. I guess being on guard and knowing this could happen with the valve saved the engine.
Buy an oil extractor for next next oil change

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
Got my upper oil pan on last night along with the oil pump. Does anyone here have the iAbed baffled oil pan? I'm assuming I don't need the OEM baffle when using that, but even with it off I wasn't able to get the holes to line up, but with the pan on I can't really see what it's hitting on
I have the iAbed oil pan and had to trim a piece off the new shield in order to clear the oil pump housing. (Shown below.)
CB17356B-C4DB-4853-99DC-B139B211E372.jpeg

And yes, you do not reuse the plastic OEM baffle, however, you still need to reuse all but one screw that was holding the baffle as I believe it secures the oil pickup line.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Placebo or not it feels tighter in the rear...😂🤣
View attachment 250640
That wood paneling is 🔥

Also I only have the cross bar and there's definitely a positive difference. After installing it I realized that some of what I had been feeling through the seat was chassis flex, because that feeling was no longer there. My car feels real nice when it's pushed over the limit and into a slide, predictable and smooth.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I have the iAbed oil pan and had to trim a piece off the new shield in order to clear the oil pump housing. (Shown below.)
View attachment 250620
And yes, you do not reuse the plastic OEM baffle, however, you still need to reuse all but one screw that was holding the baffle as I believe it secures the oil pickup line.
I took one of the smaller screws from the oil baffle and put it in to secure the pickup so it didn't stick too far down. I'm going out now to try and get it in. Someone said they were able to get it in just by bending that part up a bit so i'll try that first, if it doesnt work i'll chop it like you did
That wood paneling is 🔥

Also I only have the cross bar and there's definitely a positive difference. After installing it I realized that some of what I had been feeling through the seat was chassis flex, because that feeling was no longer there. My car feels real nice when it's pushed over the limit and into a slide, predictable and smooth.
I cant wait to feel my car again. Haven't driven anything modified in over a year now so it's gonna be like driving it again for the first time, except hopefully way faster

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Buy an oil extractor for next next oil change
I got an oil extractor finally since i've heard such good things about them. Went to use it on my fiance's X3 and low and behold the geniuses at BMW made it sense the oil electronically, so there's no dipstick... Also you have to turn on the engine and let it get up to temp to check the oil level, they should be executed for that one

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I'm under the car... The valve barely has a scratch on it. The dead armadillo just managed to push the lever around the locking indent to open it. I'm guessing it was only slightly open as there's a line of oil along the bottom of the car and the rest just leaked out when I was in the store.
The fumoto I had on my jeep wj mever gave me issues but it was always a concern. I have one for the mk6 but not sure I'll do it.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Got my oil pan on so the bottom part of the motor is mostly sealed now except for the timing. Just had to bend up the piece slightly with a pair of pliers, nice and easy.

Got the intake side balance shaft in as well. The seal on the water pump side was a bit dirty but still seemed to be ok, I oiled the little nub that sticks out and it came out pretty clean which I think is a good sign. Luckily didn't have to mess around with putting it in the freezer either, just slid right in.

The exhaust side shaft has a plastic sleeve that goes over it and once you put it into the block you need to compress it a bit to fit in a groove on the other end. Messed with it for like 15 minutes but no luck. Posted in the engine builders group so hopefully they have some tips when I go out next time to try it. Once that is in then i'll be getting all the chains on and getting it timed up.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
The problem with it on these cars, and why I should have ditched mine long ago, is that it becomes the actual lowest point on the entire car… a problem made worse if you’re lower than stock with a forward rake. On top of that how it’s oriented in the pan means you have to push the lever towards the rear of the car to drain. If you had to push towards the front of the car to open the valve this wouldn’t have happened.

In my case I only just barely touched the roadkill, there was zero evidence of contact with the oil pan or undertray.
I've got a skid plate that covers mine which is why I have not yet installed. Oil extracting is easier anyhow. Might put this on my daily but i also use the extractor on that.

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion
The problem with it on these cars, and why I should have ditched mine long ago, is that it becomes the actual lowest point on the entire car… a problem made worse if you’re lower than stock with a forward rake. On top of that how it’s oriented in the pan means you have to push the lever towards the rear of the car to drain. If you had to push towards the front of the car to open the valve this wouldn’t have happened.

In my case I only just barely touched the roadkill, there was zero evidence of contact with the oil pan or undertray.
You're making me really glad I decided to go with the Stahlbus... Nothing external to catch on the road, so the only way it's leaking is if something completely wrecks the oil pan. However, things may get interesting if I ever lose the adapter hose :/

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I think I fucked up, didnt put the oil pump chain on before putting on the lower oil pan so now I think I need to pull the pan off to put the chain in, then put the pan back on, gonna be fun cleaning all the sealant off again since i'll have to be careful to not get any into the internals of the block.