GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'10 GTI vs '09 Camry

MK05-HJ09

Ready to race!
I could have bought any number of cars that are equally terrible and boring and made of balsa wood/styrofoam blocks like a Camry, for instance, that posted a better 0-60 or 1/4mi. time than my GTI. I'll argue that there are very few cars that look as good inside and out that have as much equipment and perform as well as they do right out of the box as my GTI. It's the complete package with top-notch materials and build quality everywhere you look, and it's truly a world-class car. The reviews and accolades speak for themselves. /rant.

Bruno2000

Ready to race!
Chevy does make "crap cars."

But the two examples I posted are MUCH faster than a '10 GTI and my Z28 (1LE, which included factory Koni Yellow shocks, special bushings, upgraded springs, etc.) was one VERY serious car for the money ($21,600 out the door). The car's handling at the limit was spectacular and the way it felt at real speeds was extremely reassuring. 92 MPH was even 2,000 RPM in 6th and the car would pull that same gear cleanly from 500 RPM (30 MPH).

The Corvette was so poorly built that I sold it after just as few months as I posted elsewhere on here.

I LIKE My GTI! It's a very nicely integrated package, the driving position/ergonomic are very nice, it has lots of usable features, nice brakes, reasonably well tuned suspension, is sharp looking, goes in the snow, gets decent fuel economy and offers good cargo capacity. I also think the stereo (I got the optional Dynaudio) is pretty decent and I like the way the moonroof was designed and how it operates.

It suits my current needs very well.

BUT - no matter how I slice it, it runs 0 - 100 MPH in roughly 16 seconds and traps @ 96 MPH.

That's quick enough to be fun (despite what I've owned in the past), but it is NOT in the same league as 350Zs, 370Zs, 2010 Mustang GTs, BMW 335is or many of the other faster cars that people claim to have beaten with their GTIs.

That's all.

My main trouble here is what we really try to compare to,

A stock Gti is fast enough for a daily car and of course its not in the same league as 350z, 2010 mustang etc, OF COURSE !!

But for the price, if u willing to add some mods, u could easily catch this league! For a lot less money. Its the main point. Some here arguing but u guys customized your Gti, a fast upgrade as APR stage1 change anything as we talk about numbers!! Someone wrote, the GTI isnt fast for 2010 competition etc etc, come on! We all know that the GTI is a perfect daily car but also offer good performance in general too, I would say better for tracks that drags too! AND we all know the GTI is easily upgradable ! And we just cant denied it !

So, I dont know about YOUR GTI but mine, with just a stage1 + carbonio intake and insert torque is more that enough for my taste ! without the need to show numbers as 0-60 etc etc. The most important performance aspect for me would be the cabin ergonomy and the car's general feedback of the road and in this department, the GTI is a king. Some other upgrade to stage3 etc etc. This VS section is bias for me since some considerin mods, some would say others cars can be mods too, its true, and some just comparing stocks versions.... SO, no one really comparing the same things here.

short story, I raced a 2006 STI probably stock, between 120 to 200km/h, we was very close, would say equal in speed. Between 200 to 220 km/h, I killed the STI 3-4 car over, the 2010 GTI is surprising FAST between 200 to 220 km/h with a stage1!! BUT maybe the STI driver didnt had the guts to go over 200 km/h OR the sti stock gouvernor is limited to 200, dont know. Whatever it was a kill or not, I will never know. (was on empty highway 2 months ago after midnight) Something sure, the GTI didnt feeled slow. GTI faster that a STI ? hell NO :p GTI modded that 'could' be equal or faster ? SURE, it depend of the mods!! AND MONEY spead for it.

GTI's driver that had more guts that a STI's driver !? probably :) Some could say gti driver more nuts to risk your life etc etc that sti driver too uh, I wouldnt argue but its not the point :D

msm00b

Ready to race!
A stock Gti is fast enough for a daily car and of course its not in the same league as .... 2010 mustang etc, OF COURSE !!

A stock GTI on the road will outperform a plain jane 2010 mustang/camaro on both the curved and (in my personal experience) on the straightaway. To cleanly beat a stock GTI you're going to need a GT+ mustang or SS camaro, but driver skill will play a big factor in those races. Stage 1 + intake will honestly put you in the same ballpark as a GT mustang ... and it makes you torquey as sh*t (torque = fun).

Toss something like a Shelby into the mix, however, and there isn't really a comparison. But yeah, the GTI serves a completely different purpose than mustangs/camaros, and while you can certainly modify it to beat even a "stock" Shelby mustang (Stage III/IV) in a straightaway ... that's not the primary purpose. Having said all that, the GTI will perform better relative to pwr/weight ratio around a curved track compared a typical american muscle "sports" car. You can tip the scales in favor of the clumsy muscle cars by piling on more power, but you can also pretty cheaply do that with the smaller and nimbler GTI via mods.

The GTI is a "grin deliverer" that functions as a nice, classy, and comfortable daily driver. It holds it's own competitively, but unlike even some of it's other direct competitors (hi there MazdaSpeed3), raw power and numbers were never the goal. To use the MS3 as an example, you know exactly where your 24 thousand dollars went: engine with little class or comfort. With the GTI it did an excellent job balancing performance with ride quality and style/comfort.

short story, I raced a 2006 STI probably stock, between 120 to 200km/h, we was very close, would say equal in speed. Between 200 to 220 km/h, I killed the STI 3-4 car over, the 2010 GTI is surprising FAST between 200 to 220 km/h with a stage1!! BUT maybe the STI driver didnt had the guts to go over 200 km/h OR the sti stock gouvernor is limited to 200, dont know.

I don't know where the STI is governed, but assuming he was entirely stock I'd assert that the onboard computer limitations probbly ended up being his bottleneck more than anything. A stg1 GTI + intake has roughly the same hp as an unmodded base WRX impreza ...but with more torque. The STI and WRX will have a greater advantage in street races, 0-60s, and quarter miles where AWDs shine with improved launch capability. The stg1 GTI compared to stock WRX will have a palpable advantage in races like the 20mph rolling race where launching from 0 isn't in the equation. If i'm not mistaken, it's thanks to a lighter FWD setup as opposed to the increased weight from an AWD system.

Having said that, the STI *should* have beaten you even it were stock. The GTI is quick, but the STI when driven well is quite fast. I'd wager it would take Stage2+ to hit stock STI numbers.

Stage3 is a completely different matter. It effectively transforms this car into something it wasn't really designed for. I'd love to upgrade mine in that direction someday ... or at least get to play around with one for an afternoon.

Last edited:

Bruno2000

Ready to race!
ya, im agreeing with all your saying friend.

Im kinda sure the 2005-2006 top speed of the STI is over 200km/h, im confident that the guy just was affraid to go over 200km/h since at this speed, here at Québec, we risk our driver liscence and even the car for a long time. So, yes I passed the guy between 200-220km/h, but it only means I have more guts or stupidness or ego, call it whatever u want here, that the sti guy.

The point is, whatever if the car should had got mine or not, the driver inside will make the difference more often that u guys could guess. My best kills was with my 2000 TDI with only 90hps but damn that I beated this car hard ! :D

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
A stock GTI on the road will outperform a plain jane 2010 mustang/camaro on both the curved and (in my personal experience) on the straightaway. To cleanly beat a stock GTI you're going to need a GT+ mustang or SS camaro, but driver skill will play a big factor in those races.

:lol:

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezf...lication/b9bae4325b6d27dbfefe2c07775a541f.pdf

2010 V6 Camaro: 0 - 100 MPH in 14.8 seconds; 1/4 mile trap speed: 99 MPH

2011 V6 Mustang: 0 - 100 MPH in 13. 0 seconds; 1/4 mile trap speed: 104 MPH

And by the way, that Mustang is EPA rated at 31 MPG on regular gas:
http://jalopnik.com/5485162/2011-ford-mustang-v6-first-300-hp%2B-car-to-achieve-31-mpg

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/10q1/2010_volkswagen_gti_3-door_dsg-short_take_road_test

2010 GTI: 0 - 100 in 16.1 seconds; 1/4 mile trap speed: 96 MPH

Both the V6 Camaro and the V6 Mustang out-brake the GTI by substantial margins.

The V6 Camaro's skid-pad figure essentially matches the GTI's, while the V6 Mustang blows away both with an eye-popping .95 Gs.

The V8 versions are in a whole different league. The SS pulled out 10 seconds PER LAP over the GTI in Car and Driver's Lightning Lap feature, which on a race track is an eternity.:

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezf...lication/4eabe67c387c65e2160681d89b0eeff1.pdf

Last edited:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer

Theres a difference between 2010 and 2011.

A stock GTI on the road will outperform a plain jane 2010 mustang/camaro on both the curved and (in my personal experience) on the straightaway. To cleanly beat a stock GTI you're going to need a GT+ mustang or SS camaro, but driver skill will play a big factor in those races.

A stock GTI can not beat a 2010 GT mustang or a SS Camaro. Its like apples to hand grenades.

A 2010 V6 mustang, yes. A 2010 V6 Camaro, maybe.

On a side note, there is no way a GTI will beat 2011 Mustangs. Ford stepped up their game for the V6 and the 5.0L is just plain ridiculous. Lets not get started on the GT500 that just oozes muscle.

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
Theres a difference between 2010 and 2011.

A stock GTI can not beat a 2010 GT mustang or a SS Camaro. Its like apples to hand grenades.

A 2010 V6 mustang, yes. A 2010 V6 Camaro, maybe.

On a side note, there is no way a GTI will beat 2011 Mustangs. Ford stepped up their game for the V6 and the 5.0L is just plain ridiculous. Lets not get started on the GT500 that just oozes muscle.

The new GTI is no match for the new V6 Camaro...The GTI would have to be modded in order to run with a bone stock V6 Camaro.

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezf...lication/b9bae4325b6d27dbfefe2c07775a541f.pdf

And the new V6 Mustang will blow both of them into the weeds.

Last edited:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
The new GTI is no match for the new V6 Camaro...The GTI would have to be modded in order to run with a bone stock V6 Camaro.

And the new V6 Mustang will blow both of them into the weeds.

I figured as much. I know nothing about it. I see them all the time but just never have bothered to look. Mostly because its just a bunch of white trash idiots driving them (I live in Alabama, you can understand)

In all honestly, I almost held off for a new V6 mustang. But couldn't get over the "feel" of the car when I test drove the 2010. I'm sure some interior stuff has changed but, I'm sure nothing as serious to compete with the GTI

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
I figured as much. I know nothing about it. I see them all the time but just never have bothered to look. Mostly because its just a bunch of white trash idiots driving them (I live in Alabama, you can understand)

In all honestly, I almost held off for a new V6 mustang. But couldn't get over the "feel" of the car when I test drove the 2010. I'm sure some interior stuff has changed but, I'm sure nothing as serious to compete with the GTI

In my view the GTI is the nicer car overall.

I really like my GTI. It's a great little package and it suits my present needs very well.

I've owned several cars that were faster (two of which were MUCH faster), but those had compromises, too - just different compromises (e.g. poor seating, shoddy paint, crappy interiors and lousy sound systems).

I just like to be realistic about the GTI's limits.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I just like to be realistic about the GTI's limits.

Thats where most boy racers lose it and come onto this forum and harp about 0-60 times, horse power differences, weight, blah blah blah They'll race on the streets thinking they beat an awesome car when the guy who is driving doesnt even car and doesnt push it hard. ZOMG I BEAT A (insert car here) I"M TEH COOL!!!!1111

Drives me nuts.

2010GolfGTIMK6

AutoTuning
Don't worry, it's bound for a recall for brakes or accelerator issues and the way Toyota is going with their shitty build quality and safety issues, it will have a lower the resale value then the VW. Secondly, who the hell would want to drive a grand-dad car anyway...I rest my case.

munkey

Ready to race!
the new 2011 mustang is just crazy. ford is finally doing something really right.

I drove a 2000 v6 mustang for 10 years until it died on me. If it lasted a month or two longer, I probably would have seriously considered the new mustang. However, I was pretty set on buying a four door car. Otherwise, I most likely would have gotten a much faster car.

In terms of grin factor, though, the GTI really can't be beat. Its just so much fun to drive around, with all the torque and being so nimble. If only it was RWD :)

Bender1

Banned
Thats where most boy racers lose it and come onto this forum and harp about 0-60 times, horse power differences, weight, blah blah blah They'll race on the streets thinking they beat an awesome car when the guy who is driving doesnt even car and doesnt push it hard. ZOMG I BEAT A (insert car here) I"M TEH COOL!!!!1111

Drives me nuts.

Grambles - I almost feel like i don't have to even post as you say exactly what I am thinking for me. I can tell by reading these almost no one on here has ever been on a track.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Grambles - I almost feel like i don't have to even post as you say exactly what I am thinking for me. I can tell by reading these almost no one on here has ever been on a track.

I'm very glad I can do such a thing! You should see the golfmkv board. Its just as bad. Now that their becoming cheap and easy to buy these teeners are buying them up and getting hard ons because they go faster than the civics they used to own. Its that whole fast and the furious mentality.

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
One thing to add--if you're talking sh*t about your GTi, I really don't think you deserve to be driving one at all, or even be on this forum. :)