GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2011 GTI Can Gateway questions

clgodwin79

Go Kart Champion
Hello! So I put an aftermarket Chinese Android head unit in my car several months ago and it worked great. A few days ago, however, my son and I had it pulled out trying to add connections for a subwoofer and amp. So I had a few power wires stripped and I’m pretty sure that a couple of them touched each other and shorted out my Can Gateway.

Basically, the way that most stereos work is there is of course a ground, and then a 12v constant wire, for memory of your stereo, and then a key on 12v wire that is what makes the power turn the stereo on and off with your key.

Well on these cars that key on power comes from the Canbus Gateway and that’s also what ties in things like steering wheel control buttons. I’ve already checked and I do not have a blown fuse on the car for the stereo or on the head unit and I’ve already tried another head unit that also does not get power either with the key.

So I know that it’s not the stereo or the the fuse for the car. That pretty much means that it HAS to be the can gateway.

I have VCDS, but haven’t plugged it in yet to read codes. Maybe I can get lucky and clear codes and fix my issue, but if not, I’ll be looking at getting a replacement can gateway.

I’ve found a few used on eBay for a decent enough price, but I still need to pull mine out and see the model numbers and all of that to make sure that hopefully I can find an exact replacement. Anyway, the ones I’ve found are for a DSG and I have a manual. Does anyone know if that matters or if I can easily fix or recode that in VCDS and or a how to for that? Thanks!

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
What is the exact problem you're trying to fix? I highly doubt you did any damage to anything by shorting network lines. They're usually low voltage(<3v), it should rectify itself immediately or may just need fault cleared.

clgodwin79

Go Kart Champion
What is the exact problem you're trying to fix? I highly doubt you did any damage to anything by shorting network lines. They're usually low voltage(<3v), it should rectify itself immediately or may just need fault cleared.
Well, I know that most are low voltage and amperage. But not all. At the time I had a few wires stripped to try and wire up my remote turn on for the amp I installed. So those are anywhere between 12-13.7 ish volts. Basically whatever the battery voltage is at the time. My son was helping me and of course I didn’t follow the golden rule to disconnect the car battery because I was using my multimeter at that point in time to see what was constant power, ground, and key on power. And since I didn’t blow the stereo fuse on the radio or on the car itself, the can gateway is basically the only thing in the middle of that circuit except for the actual wires themselves.

So I’m just assuming that I shorted the can gateway itself. I connected VCDS and have faults for it that it lets me go through the motions of clearing but they are instantly back.

So I’m going to record with my phone what’s turned on and off on my gateway and then when I get this used one, plug it in and configure it the same way and clear faults again and cross my fingers that that’s the whole problem and the correct way that recode and make it work again.

According to the shipping it should be here Thursday so I’ll keep you guys posted. Programming these canbus gateways seems to be a bit of a mystery without much info out there on the internet or YouTube. But I have faith that I can figure it out. Especially since my replacement unit seems to be from the exact same car and settings that mine has.