GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2012 Candy White 2dr Base Model GTI, or Abby as I call her

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Car looks good!

Thanks! I've put an absolute absurd amount of time & money into keeping the clear coat nice and glossy.

I love having a slick & shiny car. I'm that guy who washes a car after driving it twice over the course of 3 days.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Thanks! I've put an absolute absurd amount of time & money into keeping the clear coat nice and glossy.

I love having a slick & shiny car. I'm that guy who washes a car after driving it twice over the course of 3 days.

That one pic has me really wanting the paint matched lower. How much did that run? Did you pull the bumper apart yourself? I'm using a Kamikaze coating, been pretty good so far. I had a car with opti-coat before and it was awesome. I like them because its hard to get them really dirty looking.

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
That one pic has me really wanting the paint matched lower. How much did that run? Did you pull the bumper apart yourself? I'm using a Kamikaze coating, been pretty good so far. I had a car with opti-coat before and it was awesome. I like them because its hard to get them really dirty looking.

Unfortunately, just like every other person on the internet with this front end: I know a guy. I am close friends with a neighborhood body shop owner, so my price wont be a good ballpark for anyone else. I was basically only charged for supplies.
I've repainted my hood, rear bumper, and front bumper for under what some people pay to get a bit of body work done.

The bumper was totally pulled apart & all was re-sprayed to fix rock chips as well.
PaintBooth - Copy.PNG

I've been wanting to add a real ceramic coating to my car, but you can see I have no problem dropping the car off at a body shop for some quick work, so I don't want something quite so permanent.
I also don't like spending that long on the waxing process alone. I feel like I'd much rather apply a weaker ceramic spray every month after drying rather than spend a long time coating once and being good for a few years.

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Since the thread has been quite active lately, I figured I'd also post an exhaust clip I took recently. A few revs and I also hit launch control twice.
The second clip is just a short low speed pull I recorded a little while back.
Make sure to turn audio on in imgur.

I should probably re-take that video now that I have the Throttle Pipe and Turbo Muffler off - wonder if it will sound any better.

Just for anyone who didn't read the entire mod list: my car has a 3" ECS Tuning Catted downpipe & stock catback

Last edited:

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Probably one of the smaller updates thus far: my drivers side floor mat was wearing through and nearly had a hole in it. I hopped on Ebay and found an un-used set of all mats 4 out of a 4 door GTI for $34 shipped - fit like a charm. Very nice to have a brand new mat again.

I've put a few hundred miles on the car since the Turbo Muffler Delete & Throttle Pipe install so I've got a good feel for it now. Drove for about 5 hours on empty backroads getting a feel and I must say, there is a clear difference in the way the car pulls.

I feel like I've read in a few places these mods don't really add anything to the car and are unnecessary but I have noo idea where they are coming from with that. I will assume they are more "finishing touches" mods and without a good tune and the other parts to back it up you can't tell - but I can easily tell a difference. I would have no problem admitting if i didn't feel a difference, I have no one to impress and I fully admit the only reason I got them is because I felt like working on my car.

As it stands I believe I am pretty close to a full bolt on stage 2 build at this point. Probably just an intercooler away from having the power components. Catback has never been required for stage 2 on these cars and I really don't want to make any more noise than I already do so thats out of the question for me; everyone has their own opinion on exhaust-note.

Next would be lighter weight wheels & some summer tires if I wanted to get as much as I can out of my goals. I am also always keeping an eye on intakes that have a full heatshield and only pull in fresh air, once one goes on sale cheap enough to tempt me, i'll pull the trigger. Until then, my current intake is just fine.

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Small periodic update here - ordered and installed a 21lb battery.
I went with a Deka etx30l - it's been installed for a few weeks now and appears to be operating as expected so far.

I ordered some screw on terminals & J-Hooks for mounting from Amazon and made the connecting bar on my own. Its now also plasti-dipped black as it helps me feel like its not conductive now.
Also added some soft padding between the battery and its top bar to alleviate any stress points

Next step is trying to trim the J-Hooks a bit so the OEM battery tray lid fits back on top.
DekaBattery - Copy.PNG

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
And while I'm here, a pic from a local cars & coffee I stopped by at not long ago. Crazy shine down the passenger side of my car in this pic 😍
Also, pics like this make me appreciate the install of my dash cam and toll-pass.
I painted my toll-pass black and mounted it to the back of my rearview mirror with some dual-lock tape. I also mounted my dash cam very similarly (without the painting it black part), and so the end result is you do not see those things hanging off my windshield. While it kind of looks like you can see the dash cam in this pic, thats actually just glare or the view through the rear glass. You can kind of see the sun reflecting off my toll-pass on the right hand side of the rear-view mirror though.
Mounting those things like that also allows me to put up my sun-shade when parked to keep the sun off my interior.
CarShow1 - Copy.png

Drot

That Dash cam install is very clean! Do you have any interior shots of it? I have been thinking on getting a cam myself! Love the build thread too, you have done a fantastic job with the car!

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
That Dash cam install is very clean! Do you have any interior shots of it? I have been thinking on getting a cam myself! Love the build thread too, you have done a fantastic job with the car!

Yeah, sure thing!

Here is what it looks like from the outside
DashCam - Copy.PNG

Here is what it looks like from the inside
DashCamInterior - Copy.PNG

and here is the fusebox wiring
DashCamFuseBox - Copy.PNG

I'm not proud of how long the cable run is on this lol... The dash Cam used to be powered off the normal Cigarette lighter 12v outlet and so the cable ran under the trim next to the outlet, and then across the passenger foot-well, and up the door & A-pillar trim, along the headliner to the camera.
Once I switched to the circuit-powered solution, I figured it was easiest to simply run a USB extension cable from the fuse box to under my shift knob and I simply connected the two USB cables there - boom.

And while we are on the topic of the dash cam, here is an example of some video where I easily pass by 2 Hyundai's who thought they were "racing":

Imgur only killed the sharpness a bit - quality is mostly about the same, just the original file is a bunch sharper. Still can't make most plates though, for instance.

Last edited:

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Actually just received my oil sample analysis back from Blackstone after my last change. Now that I am well north of 100k I figured it was worth starting to get it tested here and there. I posted my first tests results after 100k earlier in the thread, but the numbers are also included in this report.

I love the peace of mind these offer me. Nice to know there is almost certainly no metal parts slowly wearing away inside my engine.
BlackstoneReport2.0.png

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Wanted to post some interior shots since I realize there are not as many pics online of Android Auto up and running inside the cars as I would have expected.
Overall certainly one of my favorite mods. Being able to see/interact with quality GPS right on the screen is huge. Part of the reason I have a base model was actually avoiding the touch screen that came with the other trim versions at the time. I was happy with buttons until Android Auto came along and it was worth the wait.

I also took a pic of my boost gauge for a closer look at it for anyone curious, as well as pretty much the drivers seat perspective also showing my shift knob & accessport.

AndroidAuto - Copy.png

InteriorBoostGauge - Copy.jpeg

InteriorShot - Copy.png

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
On a similar note to updates #26 & #24, I am super happy I finally pulled the trigger on the radar detector I've been eyeing for a while. Got my Uniden R3 installed with the hardwire kit including remote mute button installed; so its seamless and invisible to the cabin other than the detector itself directly next to/over the rear view mirror. Mute button is directly behind where my key goes into the ignition behind the wheel.

I got the detector in earlier last week and I knew I would hardwire it eventually, but only 1 drive around using the regular power cable from our standard cigarette 12v out was unbearable with that hideous cable in the middle of the car.

I tapped into the same add-a-circuit that is powering my dash-cam. I don't think its too many devices on one circuit; we shall see if it blows the 10a fuse after some use. No issues on startup though. I really wish VW provided fuse box diagrams so I knew what circuits are not always in use and I can use that for a separate tap. As it was I happened to have an empty switched 12v source in my fusebox so I'm using that one for now. This is pictured in post #24.

After seeing this video on instagram: http://instagr.am/p/CCrqEA9n3l_/ I am really wanting to get the fog lights: https://deautokey.com/product/dual-...n-a-clean-white-hyper-3000k-yellow-at-anytime
I've always loved yellow fogs and ran them for a long time but its not the look I want to run 100% of the time. Would be awesome to have the power to switch back & forth. I also love the idea of being able to flash it here and there for run with the alternating colors as you see towards the tail end of the insta clip. Not 100% sure i'll pull the trigger, but definitely something I find interesting.

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Wanted to take a moment today to write up about the inflated parts prices that are seen around the market.

Its amazing to me how much people will spend on things for brand name or because they don't spend a moment to consider alternatives.

For my front mount license plate, there are several options that cost around or even over $100 by the time taxes & shipping are paid. I went on amazon and found this $21 option with 21% 1 star reviews that make it look pretty bad.
Upon further review, half those people seem to be confused on how to work with their hands and I am not surprised half of the reviewers had issues.

I got a variety pack of some serrated washers for all hardware, used some loctite on all hardware, and anti-seize on the actual rod that screws into the cars tow hook holder. Its been holding up for about a year now just fine, works exactly as well as my close friends $160 option.

Holds fine at speed, holds fine if you accidentally bump into it a bit and it nudges some, does not interfere with the bumper in the event that it does rotate a bit; can't image wanting more. I was surprised at how many positions were applicable and how many choices can be made as to the exact positioning of the plate.

Overall, if you have an MK6 GTI and are looking for an affordable front plate tow-hook mounting solution, I would look no further.

Here are some pics showing the placement/fitment:
FrontPlate1 - Copy.jpg

FrontPlate3b - Copy.jpg

FrontPlate4 - Copy.jpg

FrontPlate2b - Copy.jpg

FastMPC

So this is random, but I wanted to share this drawing I did of your car! I used one of your pictures as a base for a personal project I did and while I was at it, I decided to do a separate finished version of the original image. Definitely not my best work but I hope you enjoy nonetheless!

Stock CW MK6.jpg

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
So this is random, but I wanted to share this drawing I did of your car! I used one of your pictures as a base for a personal project I did and while I was at it, I decided to do a separate finished version of the original image. Definitely not my best work but I hope you enjoy nonetheless!

View attachment 189976

Dude, this is awesome! I've had the same wallpaper on my computer for about 2 years now but this has gotta be my new wallpaper !

I really appreciate you posting this!