GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2012 GTI Squeal on Acceleration

Jsed

Hi all,

My 2012 GTI with about 115k miles started making a pretty bad squeal on light acceleration a few weeks ago. I have scoured the forums and have come up short of finding a solution to this particular noise and am hoping that someone here may be able to help! Here’s a video that shows the squeal I’m talking about.

In order for the car to make the noise, the AC has to be on and I have to be accelerating from a stop. It happens in forward, reverse, and when turning as well. The only thing that makes it not happen is turning off the AC and sometimes accelerating a bit harder. Even when the AC is off and it doesn’t actually squeal, I still hear a low gurgling noise, which you may be able to make out in the video.

I removed the serpentine belt the other day to see if any of the pulleys or the belt was bad. The alternator pulley spins just fine. The AC compressor pulley didn’t feel “chunky” or rough like a failed bearing, but it didn’t rotate as smooth as the alternator pulley and felt more like it was spinning on a plastic bushing rather than a bearing. Also, when I released the tensioner pulley, it didn’t release smoothly but felt like the spring was a bit stuck maybe. It still puts tension on the belt, but when I went to release it, it jerked instead of smoothly rotating out of the way. The belt looked fine to me.

If anyone has any thoughts as to what the source of the squeal may be or some other troubleshooting steps I can do to investigate, I would greatly appreciate the help! Thanks!

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
I'd change the belt and see if that helps. Video isn't that clear to decipher.

Astonedewok

Hi all,

My 2012 GTI with about 115k miles started making a pretty bad squeal on light acceleration a few weeks ago. I have scoured the forums and have come up short of finding a solution to this particular noise and am hoping that someone here may be able to help! Here’s a video that shows the squeal I’m talking about.

In order for the car to make the noise, the AC has to be on and I have to be accelerating from a stop. It happens in forward, reverse, and when turning as well. The only thing that makes it not happen is turning off the AC and sometimes accelerating a bit harder. Even when the AC is off and it doesn’t actually squeal, I still hear a low gurgling noise, which you may be able to make out in the video.

I removed the serpentine belt the other day to see if any of the pulleys or the belt was bad. The alternator pulley spins just fine. The AC compressor pulley didn’t feel “chunky” or rough like a failed bearing, but it didn’t rotate as smooth as the alternator pulley and felt more like it was spinning on a plastic bushing rather than a bearing. Also, when I released the tensioner pulley, it didn’t release smoothly but felt like the spring was a bit stuck maybe. It still puts tension on the belt, but when I went to release it, it jerked instead of smoothly rotating out of the way. The belt looked fine to me.

If anyone has any thoughts as to what the source of the squeal may be or some other troubleshooting steps I can do to investigate, I would greatly appreciate the help! Thanks!
I am having the exact issue as you. It started back in May and was getting worse. I changed the belt on Monday...the old belt didn’t look to bad it was put in at 114k and I’m at 158k now so it was due. Anyway i checked the pulleys and they all seemed to spin freely. I can’t figure this out for the life of me. People on Facebook seem to think it’s either a idle pulley or ac compressor clutch issue if that helps.

Jsed

I am having the exact issue as you. It started back in May and was getting worse. I changed the belt on Monday...the old belt didn’t look to bad it was put in at 114k and I’m at 158k now so it was due. Anyway i checked the pulleys and they all seemed to spin freely. I can’t figure this out for the life of me. People on Facebook seem to think it’s either a idle pulley or ac compressor clutch issue if that helps.
I’m working the AC compressor clutch side of things. I’ll let you know if it helps.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I was thinking ac compressor clutch as well as you said it only happens with AC on.

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
Ive had this exact issue and had to take a few steps to resolve
See post here for my sound clip: https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/index.php?threads/engine-noise-squeaking-and-rough-start.310972/

It was not the DMF like people had suggested on my post, in my case it was three contributors that are easy to test.
The serpentine belt
The belt tensioner
and the alternator pulley.

The belt is the easiest to test by just replacing it with a new one.

The alternator pulley if locked up can cause noise, see this video to replace/diagnose:

And if you take a video looking at the belt tensioner when the car is running i can tell you if that is failing.
There should be very little movement. And unfortunately if you need to replace this it is a pita.
You have to drop the engine partially to get it out and replace.
I can guide you through if it comes to that.

Also for me it did seem like having the AC on increased frequency of squeal but it was not a cause.

Last edited:

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
You sure it's not a TOB squeal?

sauceman101

Ready to race!
Can't hear anything from your video. A squeal noise I encountered years ago on acceleration and couldn't track down for the life of me for some time, was a broken exhaust manifold stud, the one all the way to the driver side of the 5 that hold exhaust to back of head. The stud was broken off in the head, something others have encountered as well. Exhaust gases squeezing out during acceleration was the noise. Hope that isn't your issue as I had to pull the motor to tap out the broken stud due to the lack of space on back of motor and the funny angle it's at.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
^^Ahh the good ole mk6 "death stud"