GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3k RPM @ 70 MPH!!???

Noob_2.0T

Go Kart Champion
It doesn't bother me much, though I get jealous you guys talking about 70 mph, when the freeway limits here in AZ are often 75 and traffic is cruising at 80. Popping the cruise on at 84 means I never hit 30mpg's.

*Edit* Yes yes I know, poor me for just HAVING to do 80mph to keep up with traffic. Tough life.

Try driving on the autobahn, I get people behind me flashing there lights when I'm going 120 mph

SayaGTI

www.meatspin.com
LOLLL what a life. I'm so jelly of your autobahn. It'd be so much fun.

kaptaink

Ready to race!
Lol yeah I can't lie it is amazing. Good feeling flying past the polizei and knowing they won't pull you over

^^^^^this is awesome... I just drove from Bowling Green KY to Windsor Ontario, driving thru OHIO is such bullshit with 65 MPH speed limits and cops everywhere. I am extremely jealous

Fordson

Ready to race!
Um, after 3 pages of posts I'm gonna go on ahead there ("Office Space" reference...) and point out that at 3k rpm, the car is NOT going 70 mph - it's going 78 mph with the DSG, like the OP has. Manual is almost 79 mph. Big difference.

70 mph is 2709/DSG, 2695/6MT rpm, which is not bad at all. In fact, at 3k rpm, it will go 65 in FIFTH gear, so the OP's claim of how fast it will go at 3k rpm is closer to fifth than sixth.

You may now return to talking about how fast every other car on the planet revs at 70 mph...:laugh:

Jacris

Ready to race!
Try driving on the autobahn, I get people behind me flashing there lights when I'm going 120 mph

I have experienced this on the Berliner Ring. Although I was in a Seat rental which is almost the same and pushing it cus it wasn't my baby and still too slow for the mercs and beemers doing 120+

B3owner

Passed Driver's Ed
guys, be nice, I also feel that the RPM is way too high but that is the story with VW . I have a E90 and that only does 2500 RPM at 80mph but my B3 passat and Corrado both ran High RPM

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I actually enjoy the tight gearing and close ratios, it means I can actually use all of the gears on the track. A lot of the guys in V8 stuff only ever use 3rd and 4th whereas we can use 3-4-5-6 every lap which is much more fun!

Baldeagle

Ready to race!
Close gears definitely add to the spirit of a sports car. But only gears 1-4 need to be close. 5th and most certainly 6th should be long for highway use. VW could easily stretch the gap between 5th gear and 6th gear without changing the lower gears ratios. That would preserve the sport gearing for around town and also relax the engine on the highway which would also improve fuel mileage. It seems like a no brainer to me.

I know this has been stated before, but our engine is used in the Tiquan, which is about 500 pounds heavier and has more aerodynamic drag. Yet the Tigaun is geared to crank just 1,950 rpm at 60 mph or 2,440 rpm at 75 mph. Same engine, no problems.

For me there is one benefit of the short gearing. On the highway, I generally keep the rpm below 3,000 which acts as a speed limiter for me. Otherwise I’d drive way too fast in this car and risk getting a ticket.

B3owner

Passed Driver's Ed
Close gears definitely add to the spirit of a sports car. But only gears 1-4 need to be close. 5th and most certainly 6th should be long for highway use. VW could easily stretch the gap between 5th gear and 6th gear without changing the lower gears ratios. That would preserve the sport gearing for around town and also relax the engine on the highway which would also improve fuel mileage. It seems like a no brainer to me.

I know this has been stated before, but our engine is used in the Tiquan, which is about 500 pounds heavier and has more aerodynamic drag. Yet the Tigaun is geared to crank just 1,950 rpm at 60 mph or 2,440 rpm at 75 mph. Same engine, no problems.

For me there is one benefit of the short gearing. On the highway, I generally keep the rpm below 3,000 which acts as a speed limiter for me. Otherwise I’d drive way too fast in this car and risk getting a ticket.

That's what i'm saying. Maybe its just me but My BMW E90 gets better gas mileage then my GTI. Why can't VW tune it the same as the Tiguan. I'm thinking i could do that then add a bigger turbo to balance out the pickup

SayaGTI

www.meatspin.com
A bigger turbo would mean lag, right? And then dropping the final drive to lower your highway Rpms would also mean sluggish performance across the board because the only way to lengthen 5th and 6th would be to crack the tranny open and invest a shit ton of money - or swapping the tranny for one that's already been geared to your liking, which also costs money.

I say just let it be or get oversized tires and calculate the difference between your incorrect speedo (it'll read slower) and your actual speed. That'll drop your RPMs.

Sandwich_Dan

Ready to race!
Or buy a diesel. At 70mph I'm pulling about 2k rpm in 6th.

MMartel455

It may be the just fake engine noise that gets to you, suggest you unplug the soundaktor. I blast up and down the turnpike and only hear wind and tire noise. Seems smooth as silk to me at 3000rpm.