GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

40k service

Fizz

Hi all-

I took my car in for what i thought was a standard oil / filter change. The dealer said i was due for my 40k service (i'm at 42.5k) and the full service cost about $800. I wasn't prepped for that kind of price, i so i stuck with a simple oil / filter change.

In particular, the guy mentioned the importance of changing the transmission fluid (i have the dsg), which accounts for half of that $800.

My gti is stock, and mostly been doing commute duty- i've not been racing it or tracking it. (Well, i do accelerate and corner... enthusiastically... heh.)

Any thoughts on how critical either the transmission fluid change, or any other aspects of this service, is? And if i should get the service, should i bite the bullet and pay the $800, or could it be done elsewhere at a better price?

Thanks for the input!

-Fizz

Trytun

Go Kart Champion
Wow . . . $800?

Run away from there asap.

Vroomer

Banned
DSG oil change is very important, especially on a 6 year old car, its very expensive too fix or replace so defenity not something you want to be cheap on. Go to an indy shop or do it your self to save money, but get it done.

Last edited:

corydd

Go Kart Champion
Definitely get the DSG service done. The other stuff (cabin filter, intake filter, spark plugs, coil packs, etc) is pretty easy to do even if you don't have much experience working on cars.

Trytun

Go Kart Champion

finklejag

Ready to race!
40K service is

Oil and filter change
DSG fluid change
Cabin filter change
Rotate tires

Air filter and spark plugs are at 60K per the manual.

$800 for those 4 items seem high.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I believe the typical dealer price for a 40k service is 500-900. Depends on location etc.

Muratti

Ready to race!
I have now about 41k miles. I just had the DSG service at a VW dealer in MA for about $340 with a $30 coupon.

Read somewhere in this forum that the 40k miles maintenance could cost about $800 so decided to do the rest myself:

Did the R8 coil pack (cost about $80), double laser platinum spark plugs (cost about $48), Mann cabin air filter (cost about $15) replacements myself. It does not take more than 1.5 half or so. Planning to do the fuel filter (cost about $40) change next weekend.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
I paid about $680ish for the full service.

$800 seems like they are trying to make money off of you. Can you request a qoute and post it on here so we can see where bulk of the cost is coming from?

robeeeerob

Go Kart Champion
If you lived in SoCal, I'd tell ya to come visit me.

I do DSG fluid changes (with OEM fluid and OEM parts) for $200 total.

Additional 40k service jobs for minimal added cost (e.g. air filters, plugs, etc.)

Muratti

Ready to race!
If you lived in SoCal, I'd tell ya to come visit me.

I do DSG fluid changes (with OEM fluid and OEM parts) for $200 total.

Additional 40k service jobs for minimal added cost (e.g. air filters, plugs, etc.)

That is an unbelievable offer dude!