GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A/C Delay on Startup Question

serpico

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 2013 VW GTI with 10k miles. When I start up, I notice that my A/C does not kick in anywhere from 3-5 sec until after the car has started.

Is this normal?

The only reason I ask, is that I took it in for the 10k service over the weekend and it started right as I turned on the ignition. That happened one time, and it has since reverted to the 3-5 sec delay after the car has been turned on to kick in.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't worry about it. Haven't noticed it and wouldn't notice a 3-5 second delay

You should be turning off your a/c a 3-5 minutes before you turn off the car anyway.
So it shouldn't really be on when you start the car

6MT_GTI

Ready to race!
I wouldn't worry about it. Haven't noticed it and wouldn't notice a 3-5 second delay

You should be turning off your a/c a 3-5 minutes before you turn off the car anyway.
So it shouldn't really be on when you start the car

What??
Why would you turn off the AC 5 min before your car?
At 110F in Texas (close to 100 in the garage) that would be absurd.
I assume that is another myth about "drying it off" for the bad smell??

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
[...]it has since reverted to the 3-5 sec delay after the car has been turned on to kick in.
What do you expect the A/C to do for the first few seconds? All it could do is blow hot air in your face, the system needs a few seconds before it can produce cold air.

nuggstein

Go Kart Champion
When I turn on the air conditioner in my bedroom, why is it still 90 degrees when it's been on for one minute?

never heard of all that "turn the a/c off 5 minutes before turning the car off." That does not fly in Houston, it's a 100 degrees outside and 95% humidity... and we shouldn't have to do that anywhere... in any car just to stave off any rotten feet smell.

lon888

Ready to race!
Its no myth. I have been driving for 37 years and this is the ONLY car I ever owned that does it. I know what you mean about Houston heat and humidity, I was in and out there monthly for about 13 years. Also leaving your A/C on shutdown is harmful to the compressor clutch. My wife had a nasty habit of doing until she had to pay for a new compressor for old Accord.

Its no myth. I have been driving for 37 years and this is the ONLY car I ever owned that does it. I know what you mean about Houston heat and humidity, I was in and out there monthly for about 13 years. Also leaving your A/C on shutdown is harmful to the compressor clutch. My wife had a nasty habit of doing until she had to pay for a new compressor for old Accord.

I agree, turn the a/c off before you turn off the ignition.

But 5 minutes before??? /That's drastic.

serpico

Passed Driver's Ed
What do you expect the A/C to do for the first few seconds? All it could do is blow hot air in your face, the system needs a few seconds before it can produce cold air.

I don't expect the A/C to do anything in the first few seconds.....

Perhaps it's from driving my Tundra and the wifes FJ Cruiser, but the A/C kicks on as soon as the engine starts.

When I hop back into the GTI, I get that small delay.

Not a big deal, but it's a small annoyance in 100+ degree weather when your brain wants the air on immediately, even if immediately doesn't equate to cold air, at least in the GTI's case.

My Tundra and the FJ blow cold air almost immediately.

That said, I knew the GTI had an inadequate A/C since I had a MKV. Still, I don't remember A/C lag on that model. :iono:

serpico

Passed Driver's Ed
It's not absurd and its not a myth. You obviously know the reason. Do what you want.

It must be a Volkswagen thing. I had the bad smell in my MKV as well.

I have the same driving habits in two Toyotas, almost 100k miles on both, no smell.

idriveastick

Ready to race!
even if immediately doesn't equate to cold air, at least in the GTI's case.

That said, I knew the GTI had an inadequate A/C since I had a MKV. Still, I don't remember A/C lag on that model. :iono:

IDK. My '13 blows cold within only a few seconds. Obviously RPM affects the temperature, but as long as I'm not idling there after first start up, I get cold air quick.

6MT_GTI

Ready to race!
It's not absurd and its not a myth. You obviously know the reason. Do what you want.

If correct, there would be a guidance to do that.
Also, having had about 15 cars so far, never had any issues with the AC smell except, ironically, with my MK4 Golf.
Always had the climate control on and never touched it from day 1 till I sold the car...