GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any Track Rats Still Active?

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie

clownish

just clowning around
I spent maybe $300 on a Bell closeout I use at track days and also at drag strips. I feel like it was worth it either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveInLA

Ready to race!
I contacted SpeedSF and they said that they have rental helmets available.

I'd buy one but I'm not sure how often I'll be able to get to the track. I don't want to buy one if it's just going to sit in my closet.

+1 on the Conquer helmet from Amazon though I splurged and bought this one for $190: http://a.co/d/7w1x35k.

I rented a helmet for my first two track days from the track. They gave me a cotton head sock thing to wear and keep so my sweat wouldn't soak their helmet. Get one of your own if the rental doesn't include one. I do 3-4 track days a year and thought my own helmet was a good investment.

Here is a good article that helped me know what to do and bring: https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...eviews/a23933/boot-gear-track-day-essentials/

You may not need all the tools for your first foray, but once you get bitten by the bug, you'll find yourself with a set of wheels and tires and a toolkit like me. At the very least, flush your brakes and bring some oil and have fun! Be okay with knowing that in a GTI, you won't be the fastest one there but odds are you won't be the slowest either.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
The Fall HPDE event at VIR is in the books, and it was a blast. We ran the Full Course on Thursday and the Grand Course on Friday. To my knowledge, its the only HPDE event of the year that they run the Grand Course.

Slowly reeling in an E46 M3 on the Full Course, very fun session:
https://youtu.be/0WOWP5ZLObQ

Set a new personal best lap time on the Grand Course with a 3:22
https://youtu.be/w8a9LEAIFUQ

On a side note, the new G-Loc R8 brake pads were great. Very little wear after two pretty grueling days.

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
What do you guys run your tire pressures at? I left mine at the recommended stock 38 psi. Of course, the tire pressure increases during a session. But I got no roll to the edges of the Hankook Ventus EVO V12 tires. I ran into someone with a Mk7 that had a CRAZY amount of roll into his Michelin Supersports. I saw tire wear on the Michelin lettering of his tires. He said he was running 29 to 31 psi... I'm like *really*?

That's where you guys come in... Am I the crazy one or the supposed "lots of experience" Mk7 driver?

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
I run mine at 31 psi cold, which is about 37-38 psi hot. One note on the Michelin PSS, they have extremely soft sidewalls and roll over pretty easily on track. I used to run PSS, and no matter how much pressure I ran, it didn't seem to help them destroying themselves on track. Our cars are very front heavy with not much camber, and will wipe out a set in a single track weekend.

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
I run mine at 31 psi cold, which is about 37-38 psi hot. One note on the Michelin PSS, they have extremely soft sidewalls and roll over pretty easily on track. I used to run PSS, and no matter how much pressure I ran, it didn't seem to help them destroying themselves on track. Our cars are very front heavy with not much camber, and will wipe out a set in a single track weekend.

Thanks for the info. With the rear camber I know we can adjust it. But how much camber can we get from the rears? On the front, what can we do to adjust them so that we can get just a tiny bit more camber? I believe stock is around -1 degree. What can we fiddle with to get a little bit more than that?

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks for the info. With the rear camber I know we can adjust it. But how much camber can we get from the rears? On the front, what can we do to adjust them so that we can get just a tiny bit more camber? I believe stock is around -1 degree. What can we fiddle with to get a little bit more than that?

Yes, rear camber is adjustable and my estimate is from -1 to -2 degrees. Unfortunately, the rear can become out of adjustment as well so you have to keep on eye on it. I had my rear set to -1.5 and after a couple of months of driving on one track day the drivers side changed to just over -2 degrees. (I used a level, camber measuring tool, and level ground comparing both sides but you could also tell by eye.)

Front is not adjustable. Assuming your subframe is perfectly centered with stock suspension, you should be around -1 degree on both sides and that's it. If you want more camber you'll have to buy camber plates or adjustable lower ball joints by SuperPro. I have the Ground Control front camber plates and run -2 degree up front. If you're sensitive to NVH then you may not want camber plates as there is no rubber between the plates, strut, or chassis.
:23:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Yes, rear camber is adjustable and my estimate is from -1 to -2 degrees. Unfortunately, the rear can become out of adjustment as well so you have to keep on eye on it. I had my rear set to -1.5 and after a couple of months of driving on one track day the drivers side changed to just over -2 degrees. (I used a level, camber measuring tool, and level ground comparing both sides but you could also tell by eye.)

Front is not adjustable. Assuming your subframe is perfectly centered with stock suspension, you should be around -1 degree on both sides and that's it. If you want more camber you'll have to buy camber plates or adjustable lower ball joints by SuperPro. I have the Ground Control front camber plates and run -2 degree up front. If you're sensitive to NVH then you may not want camber plates as there is no rubber between the plates, strut, or chassis.
:23:

One other option would be tubular front control arms. I have them on my build but the car isn't quite finished yet, but they can provide up to 3 degrees of camber and are lighter than stock. I believe they also provide a degree of caster as well. Haven't driven the car yet but just thought I would post another possible choice.

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
One other option would be tubular front control arms. I have them on my build but the car isn't quite finished yet, but they can provide up to 3 degrees of camber and are lighter than stock. I believe they also provide a degree of caster as well. Haven't driven the car yet but just thought I would post another possible choice.

:eek: Those suspension arms look awesome but just a bit too much "racecar" for me :eek: Great to know there are other options, thanks!

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Looking to get back onto the track. Just need to find an event that gives me an excuse to buy a new set of wheels and tires. Otherwise the car is ready to go.