GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Apartment help

GTICrazy90

Ready to race!
Alright so I'm a college student and next year, my friends and I are planning on moving in an apartment. There are a couple of apartments that are right off campus that charge $700/room, and they are fully furnished and they come with some utilities like water and internet. Maybe cable also im not sure.

Or our other option is going like 3 miles away from campus and find ourselves regular apartments that are about $500/room. The apartment is not furnished, so we would need like beds, sofa, table, fridge and microwave. Also I think the only utilities offered in apartments are water, but im not sure. So we would have to pay for internet and cable tv.

So which one is the better choice, it would be a 10 month lease. How much do utilities cost because if we get the off campus apartment we would be splitting up the cost of utilities for 3 people.

Anyone think they can help?? Thanks in advance!

GyroJoe

Turbo is my middle name
Damn that's some cheap rent.

The internet you usually get in a place that supplies it for you is generally pretty shit. They'll have like a T1 for the whole place and bandwidth will suck. Take that into consideration.

Having to source a fridge will probably be the biggest headache. On the upside, you can turn it into a kegerator when you are done with it.

I dunno where you are going to school, but finding parking on campus was always a bitch where I went. If the price difference isn't too big it's probably worth it to have a furnished place closer to campus.

GTICrazy90

Ready to race!
That aint that cheap for me, haha. I go to UCR, i guess its not as expensive as many other places. It does not matter if i live closer to campus, cause i have car so livving about a half a mile away or two isnt a big deal. Yea the rooms come furnished but the rent is about an extra $2000. You can buy a lot with that and you get to keep everything too.

How much do you guys pay for utilities like electricity and gas and all that?? And state whether you live in a house, apartment, etc.
Thanks

fairladyz_gt-r

Go Kart Champion
Not sure if you need to heat the place or not...but my current apartment, 2 bed 2.5 bath, 2 floor townhouse cost about 120~150 in just electricity (heated with electricity). Water is about 30~50 (waste water included). another 40 for internet.

edit: btw i recommend you choose the 500USD one, not sure about ur college, but if you guys have public transport I highly recommend you live away from the college. The lower class men party can get really really annoying when you have report/exam.

Last edited:

GTICrazy90

Ready to race!
Ohh wow i thought electricity ran at like $50, haha but we would not be needing any heater seeing how right now it is 72 degrees, I know all you people up north are jealous. Anyway thanks for the input.

Remus6

ViVa La Fuga!WLF
Ohh wow i thought electricity ran at like $50, haha but we would not be needing any heater seeing how right now it is 72 degrees, I know all you people up north are jealous. Anyway thanks for the input.

You gotta figure he's from Indiana though, and their weather has greater variance than we have in SoCal. I don't know how the summers are in Riverside, but in San Diego, I just pretty much keep my windows open for breeze and I'm fine. Winters, I keep my windows closed, use socks and pjs with a thick blanket, no heat required. Most of my electricity goes to computer, t.v. and video games.

JDraft

architectural draftsman
I just pretty much keep my windows open for breeze and I'm fine. Winters, I keep my windows closed, use socks and pjs with a thick blanket, no heat required. Most of my electricity goes to computer, t.v. and video games.

If you can swing it, that's the way to do it if you're paying for electricity. In my opinion, a minor inconvenience is more favorable than paying a good bit extra.

GTICrazy90

Ready to race!
Yea thats true. Riverside gets pretty hot, although i havnet been here for summer yet. Started fall and it was like in the 90s, then got a ltl cold in the winter but not to cold for me.