GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Presents the MK6 Oil Catch Can System

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
While this is true I still see a potential issue with running a catch can with the front and rear lines configured this way while still utilizing the OEM PCV setup. In a completely stock car at idle, the vacuum in the intake manifold pulls in fresh air via the front (manifold) line through the PCV from the rear line connected to the intake pipe just before the turbo. When a completely stock engine produces boost it closes the check valve connected to the front (manifold) line of the OEM PCV and the engine then draws the crankcase vapors through the rear hose connected to the intake pipe, effectively reversing the direction of flow between idle and boost conditions. With the modified routing of the APR CC setup (and other CC manufacturers), there is no fresh air being drawn into the crankcase at idle. Would this not cause a slight pull or vacuum in the crankcase at idle thus stressing the seals over time? Perhaps this pressure is negligible or I'm just flat out wrong? I've always been paranoid about the all-too common RMS failure and I really don't want to pull the trans to replace it. If that happened I would have no excuse not to do an LSD, clutch packs, flywheel and TCU tune at that point right?

I hope you follow me on this..... I'm hoping I'm missing something somewhere with how this works but I've played around with several new and used PCV units to figure out how it works. I really want to find the best fix to prevent oil build up in the intake track. I've pulled the boost tubes several times for random maintenance and oil has always been present. When I did a carbon clean I ended up replacing the factory intake manifold with the latest revision because so much oil was caked on the inside I didn't want to waste a bunch of time attempting to clean it all out.

You're 100% correct, blocking off the front of the PCV elevates crankcase pressure. I now run the ECS CC which has the best configuration, the only change is I had a 100psi check valve added into the connection between the PCV and intake manifold so the PCV gets it's vacuum but will not see boost (or boost levels on a big turbo that will break the PCV over time.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
You're 100% correct, blocking off the front of the PCV elevates crankcase pressure. I now run the ECS CC which has the best configuration, the only change is I had a 100psi check valve added into the connection between the PCV and intake manifold so the PCV gets it's vacuum but will not see boost (or boost levels on a big turbo that will break the PCV over time.

Doesn’t the ECS CC design normally block off the front port as well? You ended up leaving the front port of the PCV connected to the manifold correct? Also does blocking the rear port like in other designs have any long term effects to the engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Doesn’t the ECS CC design normally block off the front port as well? You ended up leaving the front port of the PCV connected to the manifold correct? Also does blocking the rear port like in other designs have any long term effects to the engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct I reconnected it to the intake manifold. No, the rear is not blocked, it is connected to to the turbo inlet.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Correct I reconnected it to the intake manifold. No, the rear is not blocked, it is connected to to the turbo inlet.

I was wondering the reasoning behind why you ended up connecting it the way you did since normally it’s only routes from the rear port. My Forge like APR’s blocks the rear port and functions through the front port.

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
We're not seeing pressure issues. Mind you, we've tested this setup path, and others, for nearly a decade in various forms, including during our racing years.

Thanks Arin. I guess my concern wasn't necessarily with positive/boost pressure but rather a vaccum condition within the crank case at idle. My interpretation of your statement makes the assumption that the lack of fresh air circulation at idle when blocking the rear port is negligible. Would that be fair to say?