GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR TSI k04 Review

09mkvgti

Ready to race!
The day I had been waiting 6 weeks for finally cam yesterday. It was the day I could finally pick up my APR tuned TSI k04 GTI! I had dropped off the car 6 weeks before that to get the tsi k04 development started and the only reason I waited that long was to pick it up at the bbq as opposed to making two trips up. I can say that after getting the car back yesterday that it was definitely worth the wait

The car literally feels like it's finally awake. Stage 2 was great, but I don't regret a single penny I spent to get the k04 and to have it tuned by APR! I honestly cannot thank everyone at APR especially Arin and Keith enough for the opportunity. The car is amazing!

I took the car out when I first got there and the car has power in every gear no matter what speed you're at. I took out and did a 3rd gear pull and instead of dying off at the higher rpms like the k03 so frequently did the car did the complete opposite. It pulls hard the whole way through, but once it gets to 4000 rpms its almost like ricers say vtec kicked in. It's not my imagination either because a friend drove it and did the same thing and said the same thing I was saying. The boost stays at a consitent 19lbs before 4000 and then climbs to 23lbs after that. Everything about the way the car pulls is extremely smooth and if I had one word to describe how I feel about the tune with the k04 it would simply be perfection.

I would also like to add that APRs intercooler is something else. I did a handful of test pulls and it never once felt like the car was loosing its breath due to heat soak. The car pulled hard every singly time.

The whole package with the k04, the intercooler, and APRs tune is amazing! If you have a k04 or are thinking about getting one and trying out APRs tune all I can say is do it. You won't be disappointed!! :happyanim:

I will post videos of some pulls later on once I get them all ready to go, but for now all I can say is that I am completely impressed by what APR has done with my car and all I can say is GO APR!

09mkvgti

Ready to race!
Wow that tune sounds like A LOT OF FUN! ! ! !

I am jealous. . .

Could you post some speedo vids ?

Thanks!

For sure! It's definitely powerful. My friend and I did a pull and looked down and we were already at 120, but you really can't tell because it's incredibly smooth!

09mkvgti

Ready to race!
I'm assuming you have the AWE hardware?

Yep I got it used from tico(269horsesuv) on golfmkv. The tune and intercooler are all APR!

09mkvgti

Ready to race!
I'm assuming you have the AWE hardware?

I do know that APR is coming out with their kit soon though and it'll definitely be worth the wait for when it does. There's no way you can be disappointed with this kit and tune!

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
What car power-wise would you say its comparable to, I'm really interested in a K04 kit but am still wondering how the driving characteristics of the car are after the kit...also what would you say your 40-80 time would be now?

Stanielz

Ready to race!
What car power-wise would you say its comparable to, I'm really interested in a K04 kit but am still wondering how the driving characteristics of the car are after the kit...also what would you say your 40-80 time would be now?

the characteristics of the tune and kit are OEM like. you just a stock or stage 1 GTI behaves normal, gets decent gas mileage when ur not getting on it.

however once you start getting into it youll see that it pulls a ton more. mmm i beat a stage 3+ 1.8T on my way to the APR BBQ. by like 1/2 a car length. i dont know what else to compare it to really. and that same stage 3+ 1.8T spanked a nismo 370Z.

as far as direct comparison idk =/. its hard to compare because i cant think of any cars that come factory with 300WHP with similar weight to a GTI

turbor850

Ready to race!
the characteristics of the tune and kit are OEM like. you just a stock or stage 1 GTI behaves normal, gets decent gas mileage when ur not getting on it.

however once you start getting into it youll see that it pulls a ton more. mmm i beat a stage 3+ 1.8T on my way to the APR BBQ. by like 1/2 a car length. i dont know what else to compare it to really. and that same stage 3+ 1.8T spanked a nismo 370Z.

as far as direct comparison idk =/. its hard to compare because i cant think of any cars that come factory with 300WHP with similar weight to a GTI

If you can post a 50-100 or a 60-100 video I have a couple cars that I can compare it to that will give everyone a general idea of how fast it is :cool:

Stanielz

Ready to race!
If you can post a 50-100 or a 60-100 video I have a couple cars that I can compare it to that will give everyone a general idea of how fast it is :cool:

i'll try and post one tomorrow.

tippah1

Ready to race!
no there not.....apr stage 3 gti kit runs a garret 28/70 or close to those numbers not a k04. I know for a fact stage 3 isnt k04, I have been in the australian APR stage 3 cars when i was looking at going to stage 3 on my gti

09mkvgti

Ready to race!
no there not.....apr stage 3 gti kit runs a garret 28/70 or close to those numbers not a k04. I know for a fact stage 3 isnt k04, I have been in the australian APR stage 3 cars when i was looking at going to stage 3 on my gti

yea, he's right the k04 is only on what I have. The stage 3 which puts out 50 more whp than mine does is powered by a gt2871 turbo which is a completely different setup. The k04 is a borg warner turbo and the gt2871 turbo is a garret turbo charger. The k04 is used on the oem edition 30 gti and the audi tts.

Attachments

• stage3_20_tsi_trans_turbo_mid.jpg
    stage3_20_tsi_trans_turbo_mid.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 338
  • apr bound 133.jpg
    apr bound 133.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 336