GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR vs COBB

havocsrt

Ready to race!
Ummm... what's the catch? I.e. - what are the appreciable differences between SPM, APR (seems crazy expensive at $750) and other downpipes?
I think SPM is on its way out and ECS is just getting rid of their stock...just a guess

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
I think SPM is on its way out and ECS is just getting rid of their stock...just a guess

Pretty much this. There has been some problems with spm and customer service and stuff. They are basically out of business and if you have any issues your totally on your own.

rawag77

Ready to race!
If anyone wants to go COBB stage 2, ECS has SPM downpipes really cheap right now.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Exhaust/Steve_Petty_Motorsports/ES2855996/

This looks like it's only the section immediately after the turbo but before the cat-back. One of the cool things about SPM's exhaust was that it was modular and you could mix and match sections for a "custom" sound. You would still need the cat section with or without the cat...hence the super low price.

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
This looks like it's only the section immediately after the turbo but before the cat-back. One of the cool things about SPM's exhaust was that it was modular and you could mix and match sections for a "custom" sound. You would still need the cat section with or without the cat...hence the super low price.

The problem is, it's a super low price but UNUSABLE. I looked into it and the CAT or no CAT section that comes after it is not available. So you would effectively have a large paperweight. OR you could purchase this and then try to see if the corresponding COBB, APR or similar CAT section would fit (assuming you want a CAT which I do). I would guess not.

Also, a question for the experts... Since these "downpipe sections" are 3 inch in diameters, I still see them adding a "reducer" that takes the diameter down to 2 inches to mate up with the stock exhaust...

SO, wouldn't it be useless to simply do a 3" downpipe system since it still has the restriction to 2 inches as it mates to the stock exhaust? i.e. - to eliminate the restriction, one has to do a complete 3" system from turbo to exhaust tips?

OR is most of the real restriction in the stock CAT which is why it's replaced and that the stock exhaust is "free flowing" enough and that you get a new exhaust mostly for sound at this point?

Last edited:

rawag77

Ready to race!
You could have your own cat section made by a local shop.

Second scenario. Downpipe is very restrictive. I think there were tests done early on between a 2.5" and 3" cat back. The difference was negligible. Main thing you get with an aftermarket catback is the weight savings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rawag77

Ready to race!
You could have your own cat section made by a local shop.

Second scenario. Downpipe is very restrictive. I think there were tests done early on between a 2.5" and 3" cat back. The difference was negligible. Main thing you get with an aftermarket catback is the weight savings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jettaglx91

Go Kart Champion
The problem is, it's a super low price but UNUSABLE. I looked into it and the CAT or no CAT section that comes after it is not available. So you would effectively have a large paperweight. OR you could purchase this and then try to see if the corresponding COBB, APR or similar CAT section would fit (assuming you want a CAT which I do). I would guess not.

Also, a question for the experts... Since these "downpipe sections" are 3 inch in diameters, I still see them adding a "reducer" that takes the diameter down to 2 inches to mate up with the stock exhaust...

SO, wouldn't it be useless to simply do a 3" downpipe system since it still has the restriction to 2 inches as it mates to the stock exhaust? i.e. - to eliminate the restriction, one has to do a complete 3" system from turbo to exhaust tips?

OR is most of the real restriction in the stock CAT which is why it's replaced and that the stock exhaust is "free flowing" enough and that you get a new exhaust mostly for sound at this point?

FYI they are also selling the adapter pipe for $21. It's cat less but perfect for most ppl to just fab the last fraught piece. I picked one up for the daily, $116 shipped for most of a cbfa down pipe is a steal. Only took like 30 seconds to find that.

The center section is straight, so if you really wanted a cat it wouldn't be to difficult to add.

Stock piping is bigger then 2", it's like 2&3/8"(technically metric) if I remember correctly. And yes the stock downpipe is the huge restriction, cat back is just sound. I did a bunch of testing years ago and there was not a quantifiable or consistent enough gain to say it added any specific amount.

Lastly why all the randomly capitalized words?

Last edited:

jettaglx91

Go Kart Champion
Im sure your pro-tuner can limit boost/torque to your needs... or are you not familiar with how tuning works?

According to Alex there currently is no way to offer boost or torque by gear via Cobb.

This. They can absolutely do that. More so than APR can since APR has no idea what your specific mods are.

Well when you spread misinformation because you are uninformed you are the problem. If you dont know ask.

Might want to heed your own advice next time.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
According to Alex there currently is no way to offer boost or torque by gear via Cobb,

Might want to heed your own advice next time.

My mistake. However i did say that they could limit your torque and boost to your needs, which they can,.. i never specifically said by gear :thumbsup::p:D

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Interesting. I was almost 100% confident that it was do-able on previous FoST's/FiST's and Subie's. My bad, and thanks for the clarification. Learn something new everyday

jettaglx91

Go Kart Champion
My mistake. However i did say that they could limit your torque and boost to your needs, which they can,.. i never specifically said by gear :thumbsup::p:D

I mean, you were replying to a post specifically about that, which you then sarcastically bashed the person. But yes to be technical you didn't put that in your response, so kudos to you :thumbsup::clap:

Last edited: