GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AS-7608 DIY instructions

Shadow_Golf

Since some people requested for it, I decided to post a DIY to install the Audiosources AS-7608 head unit in our cars.

First of all, you need to remove the plastic trim around the current head unit. I suggest to use a tool to start lifting one corner and afterward, take the same tool to pull the trim where the metal clips are located surrounding the unit itself. You need to be careful not to pull too hard on the plastic since the clips are difficult to take out. Otherwise, it may be possible to break them.

You can see in the next picture, I identified the points from the plastic trim for you.

Once this part is removed, the screws maintaining the head unit are exposed and you can now remove them.

After you have removed the 4 screws, you can gently pull out the head unit to remove it from it's compartment.

Once you have removed the head unit from its place, you can take out the OEM connector buy pushing the plastic lever and it will unclip from the current head unit. As for the radio antenna, you may push on the little plastic pin to uninstall it.

Afterwards,the next step is to install the GPS receiver for the new head unit. I didn't want to install the antenna somewhere obvious so that, as a result, I could get the original look that I was looking for. I decided to intall it under the dash just over the vents assembly. To remove the vents assembly you need to remove two screws ( as shown in the picture) and then pull on the assembly to remove it from its place. Keep in mind that there are more clips holding everything.

Once you removed it, you can install the receiver between the plastic of the air duct and the dash. The receiver's cable needs to be entered from the right hand side to the head unit compartment.

When the receiver's cable is in place, you can reinstall the vents assembly by pushing it in place along with the two screws.

Now you can plug the antenna to the connector supplied for the new head unit.

Then you can plug the OEM connector to the adapter who will then be plugged on the head unit.

The last step, you have to plug the GPS receiver by screwing it to the unit. Now all the wiring is done, therefore, push the new head unit in place and then put the screws where they belong. The only thing left is to replace the plastic trim around the head unit by pushing it back in place.

The installation is done and you can now do the setup of the new head unit by going through many settings.

There is also other connectors supplied by the manufacturer that can be used to connect other devices such as a reversing camera and Ipod. I didn't include the instructions for the installation of those components since I did not plug them yet.

Shadow_Golf

I have done some tests with the GPS and for now it work well. I decided do install Igo 8.3 and it run fast and smoothly. There is info available online and it is a powerful tool when it come to navigation. You can also easily find updates for the POI and maps.

So far so good.

Shadow_Golf

I've just been told by Audiosources that they will give for free the navigation software and maps to anyone who would be interested to buy a head unit from them. All you have to say is you got the information from www.golfmk6.com.

They are now selling it for 335+shipping.

robinb

A great guide thanks. I have just received a 7608 (to replace an RCD300 in a Mk5). Ordered on Friday from China and in Melbourne on Monday!
It is disappointing that there is zero technical detail on the unit (other that the users manual ie which knobs to press).
Can anyone help please with:
* Pinouts for the rear connections (some I can fathom as there is a VW-7608 connector provided for one segment).
* The camera lead has a 4-pin connector at each end. That's fine but then at each end there is also a flying red-black pair. Any ideas on the use of these?
* I asked for a 2-to-1 antenna connector but this was not provided. BUT I did get a 1-to-1 that also has a flying blue lead. Any ideas for the blue lead? And a source for a 2-to-1 connector?
Or better still, has anyone heard of a technical manual?!
Thanks

KJW-TSI

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey ShadowGolf! Thanx for the diy. Im having a problem removeing the vent assembly. How many clips are holding it in place??

Shadow_Golf

The head unit can be ordered directly from Audiosources on there website, just contact them and ask for an invoice.

The vent assembly can be hard to remove since there is some clips retaining it in place at the top of the assembly. Twisting it from side to side could help to remove it.