GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Australian mk6 dealer negotiations

Blaze182

Ready to race!
Yeah, its allwasy fun dealer hoping to talk prices.

The inner city and syndicate dealers are tight. Allways go for the stand alone ones if you can. They'll give you good prices cause they know its their business on the line, syndicates are a lot less pressured, and inner city are.. inner city, if they dont sell to you, they'll sell to someone else, they're not as pushed.

After you get the deal from the stand alone ones, you can usually use that as a point and start slashing from there.

I.e. If your car costs 40k, and a standalone dealer offers you 36,500, go to a syndicate dealer and cask for 35K drive away.

They'll allways go 'no no' lol, but you allready know if they go higher than 36,500 they're taking you for a ride, tell them straight up you can get it at another dealership (dont tell them which one!!!) for this price, and you wanted to know if they can do better =]

My cousin USED to work at VW about 4 years ago, and he told me back then you could and should be able to get $5k off a moderate car at least, he said so long as you go in there prepared to buy, you can get a lot lower than when your 'looking'. But that comes down to the moment your actually buying... Good luck =]

As glennbot said, at least the onroads off =]

Teresi

Hi All,
cheers for the really helpful info in this thread! I'm testdriving a TDI manual on Friday at the Essendon VW dealership. If anyone's dealt with them before, I'd love a headsup on what it was like to deal with them. After my last experience buying a new car I'm expecting the worst, and am dreading having to deal with more car salespeople... My question is though, prices aside, I'm wondering how long most of you are having to wait for your little babies to arrive having decided when and where to buy them? Am hoping it's not too long! And also, are any of you buying with trade-ins? never done it before and am expecting the full bamboozle treatment!

Tensixty6

Old & Senile
Hi All,
cheers for the really helpful info in this thread! I'm testdriving a TDI manual on Friday at the Essendon VW dealership. If anyone's dealt with them before, I'd love a headsup on what it was like to deal with them. After my last experience buying a new car I'm expecting the worst, and am dreading having to deal with more car salespeople... My question is though, prices aside, I'm wondering how long most of you are having to wait for your little babies to arrive having decided when and where to buy them? Am hoping it's not too long! And also, are any of you buying with trade-ins? never done it before and am expecting the full bamboozle treatment!

I haven't dealt with the Essendon dealership, so l can't help you there. The only advice l can give is.....don't allow yourself to be conned into making a decision. You're entitled to shop around. If they want the business badly enough, they'll chase you. Never shop on impulse, no matter what you're buying.

Good luck. Be firm. It's a buyers market.

Blaze182

Ready to race!
If they want the business badly enough, they'll chase you. Never shop on impulse, no matter what you're buying.

Good luck. Be firm. It's a buyers market.

Dead right, stand your ground ;) You can allways go back, they're not gonna turn you around because you were stubbourn last time you were in there =]

Teresi

cheers for the advice ppl, went in yesterday. Ended up at barlow world, they wouldn't give me a price unless I was prepared to sign... i wasn't prepared to sign 'til i had an idea what the market was like. Strange conundrum that dealers wont actually tell you a price, and it's made three times worse i think by having a trade-in! Sheesh - shouldn't be this tricky!

Tensixty6

Old & Senile
cheers for the advice ppl, went in yesterday. Ended up at barlow world, they wouldn't give me a price unless I was prepared to sign... i wasn't prepared to sign 'til i had an idea what the market was like. Strange conundrum that dealers wont actually tell you a price, and it's made three times worse i think by having a trade-in! Sheesh - shouldn't be this tricky!

Typical of Barloworld. Which one....Glen Waverley? How idiotic. "We want you to sign up for the second highest purchase you're ever likely to make. House is no. 1. But we won't tell you what you're going to pay"

Tell em they're dreaming.

Blaze182

Ready to race!

YEP, thats what a Peugeot dealer told me.

Its so stupid ><

Try calling them up and doing business over the phone... could work better =]

Teresi

yup did that. Went to essendon this morning... picking up a tdi manual in mid-may... got sports package with leather for what i wanted to pay ($35k) without the slime factor!:happyanim::happyanim: pays to walk away!!

Tensixty6

Old & Senile
yup did that. Went to essendon this morning... picking up a tdi manual in mid-may... got sports package with leather for what i wanted to pay ($35k) without the slime factor!:happyanim::happyanim: pays to walk away!!

All that's left to say is, CONGRATULATIONS. :happyanim:

glennbot

Passed Driver's Ed

Can you break this down for us?

Golf 103TDI Manual $33,190
Leather + Sports pack $5,000
Onroad and delivery ~$4,541 (in QLD)
Total = $42,731 and you got it for $35K?

twotribez

That's a brilliant price, I just purchased a 118tsi with sport pack, tints Bluetooth, media in, boot net, boot rubber tray and mats for 35735 driveaway. That is on corporate too. Feel like I should have haggled more. Damn hate buying new cars haha more fun just shopping for them.

Teresi

Sure. I got a $5000 trade in on an 02 Astra, 3 door that was pretty hacked up. I'm sure I could've gotten more for the Astra if I'd sold privately, but a trade-in's hassle free, so worth something for me. So it broke down to RRP $44,100 (inc. dealer delivery, stamp duty, sports leather, metallic, 2.0 TDI manual, after sales bonuses and savings on servicing etc.). So I think in the end I saved about $4000, about 10%.

After I signed the contract Barlow world (Glen Waverly) called me back and told me they could've given it to me for the low 30s. So, i guess the moral of the story is, for those of you more resilient and able to drive a harder bargain than me, there's some big savings to be had out there if you stand your ground as everyone keeps saying, and be prepared to walk out the door if you don't get the price you want. If I'd been more focussed on savings, and less focussed on just not being shafted, I probably could have saved another couple of grand.

All that said, I'm over the moon with what I got ... assuming the car actually makes it to me by May! (after reading a couple of other threads about dealers double booking cars 'on the water' I'm not so sure - will keep posted on this!). The mk 6 diesel is such a beautiful car to drive, with such a silky smooth gear box, and gutsy little engine, that I can't imagine I'll be sweating the money I could have saved while I'm driving around in bliss!

Good luck those everyone with finding that perfect deal, and make a decision early about what you want and whether it's just money you're wanting to save, or your sanity as well!

Sydpreme

Hi all,

I'm currently looking to grab a 118TSI Golf VI:
- manual
- metallic paint
- Sports pack
- Dynaudio 300W Sound package

All in all adds up to $34, 990 w/o on roads.

Does anyone think I could get a car like this for $35K or less? Does anyone have any experience with good Sydney dealers? I was offered $37,400 from Volswagen at Penrith (I live in the Blue Mountains) but I think I will check out dealers like Chatswood and Bill Buckle soon.

Blaze182

Ready to race!
Just ask them straight up, I would like to purchase this car for this price with these specs. Can you do it?

You'll definitely get the deal, just a bit of work negotiating =]