GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AWE Touring exhaust

VDUB2012Golf2.5

Hello I installed the AwE Touring exhaust.
It’s not quite raspy enough . Would deleting the resonator open it a little more and make it sound a little more raspy??
And what’s the difference between a test pipe and hi flow cat.?
Deleting the resonator and adding a “test pipe” should that be done at the same time?
I have a Ingen CAI , so should I install all that and then run the tune IE. ???

GolNat

Autocross Champion
test pipe replaces the cat. High flow cat is plenty for a daily, I’d only run test pipe on a race car. Try removing the resonator if you want more rasp.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Test pipe is just a straight piece of pipe that replaces the cat. Running without any cat is illegal in the U.S. and it stinks anyway. If you are running a stage one tune you can just leave stock downpipe ; cat in place if you are running a stage 2 tune then you normally run a 3in downpipe and I would and did run a high flow cat on mine to get the best high end performance and not stink up the place. And yes install the all of the mods, then the tune.

Also, you might try driving it for a few months or more before cutting off resonators to make it louder. I found that sometimes loud was fun in the short term but somewhat annoying over the long term.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Hello I installed the AwE Touring exhaust.
It’s not quite raspy enough . Would deleting the resonator open it a little more and make it sound a little more raspy??
And what’s the difference between a test pipe and hi flow cat.?
Deleting the resonator and adding a “test pipe” should that be done at the same time?
I have a Ingen CAI , so should I install all that and then run the tune IE. ??

IMO removing just the mid mounted resonator should do the trick; in these times that CAT is worth some $$ so don't just throw it in the garbage.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
IMO removing just the mid mounted resonator should do the trick; in these times that CAT is worth some $$ so don't just throw it in the garbage.
Very good point, keep your stock downpipe and cat. A new one is north of 1K dollars and you may need it to sell your car later.

VDUB2012Golf2.5

Test pipe is just a straight piece of pipe that replaces the cat. Running without any cat is illegal in the U.S. and it stinks anyway. If you are running a stage one tune you can just leave stock downpipe ; cat in place if you are running a stage 2 tune then you normally run a 3in downpipe and I would and did run a high flow cat on mine to get the best high end performance and not stink up the place. And yes install the all of the mods, then the tune.

Also, you might try driving it for a few months or more before cutting off resonators to make it louder. I found that sometimes loud was fun in the short term but somewhat annoying over the long term.
Thank you .

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Very good point, keep your stock downpipe and cat. A new one is north of 1K dollars and you may need it to sell your car later.
Turns out my stock cat just fell apart inside and I had to order a new OEM one. Almost 1300 dollars and there were only 2 in the United States, now just one.