GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

B pillar rattle and wind noise fixed!

toady

Passed Driver's Ed
Took the car in on Friday to McDonald VW for it's 3 month, 6,000 mile courtesy service. Told them about driver's side wind noise above 35 mph and that creaking floor b-pillar rattle.

They took very good care of me, but this fix took a while and invovled calling the regional rep for a solution. I got the car back last night (Monday) and all is well. I read the tech's notes and they tried all methods of fixing this after removing all the material around the b pillar. They finally called the regional who suggested a striker plate adjustment. That did the trick. The wind noise was caused from loose molding. Drove it hard last night and everything is perfect now.

I got a 2.5 Jetta as a rental (they paid for it). Handles well for a base car but that engine simply doesn't deliver the juice the way my turbo does. Great to have the GTI back.

For all of you that have mentioned this issue -- don't get frustrated, there is a fix!

I want to put in a good work for McDonald VW as well. I’ve read about some poor experiences with them but mine was great.

Antero128

Ready to race!
It's always nice to hear about dealerships that actually take care of its customers. Glad that everything worked out for you!

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
Good to hear this striker plate fix I've read about worked for you - positive re-enforcement.

I had my GTI in for the same 90 day inspection at the local dealership, last Friday, to get this same fix done.

To my surprise, I had quite the opposite experience. Let's just say the service advisor was not customer-oriented. I have a call in to the General Manager of Service to discuss the matter further. I've been a customer at this dealership for 5 years and purchased 3 new cars from them, including this one, and never had any experience even close to this one. I will chalk it up to an anomoly for now.

Will update once this situation is rectified.

FN in MT

Ready to race!
I ran into a new GTI owner in Utah two weeks back..... at Arches NP. She was having the noise issue as well as some LEAKS in the rain! Her's was a 4 door. At least there seems to be a FIX.

FN in MT

toady

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry about the bad dealership experience

Good to hear this striker plate fix I've read about worked for you - positive re-enforcement.

I had my GTI in for the same 90 day inspection at the local dealership, last Friday, to get this same fix done.

To my surprise, I had quite the opposite experience. Let's just say the service advisor was not customer-oriented. I have a call in to the General Manager of Service to discuss the matter further. I've been a customer at this dealership for 5 years and purchased 3 new cars from them, including this one, and never had any experience even close to this one. I will chalk it up to an anomoly for now.

Will update once this situation is rectified.

They are totally hit and miss, it seems. Hopefully you've got other choices? If I have options, I always walk after bad service and don't look back unless they have a change in management.

I was surprised at just how well they responded myself as I've gotten burnt at other dealers before. I actually wrote to the owner, Mr. McDonald, to tell him what a great job my service advisor did. He passed it along so hopefully I can keep the good energy moving as I continue to visit. When I visit again, I might bring donuts just to say thanks.

Last edited:

toady

Passed Driver's Ed
Loaner car

is the loaner car at their discretion?

You know, I didn't even give them the chance. When they told me they were going to have to keep it over the weekend, I just said, "Ok, I appreciate you getting this done right, I just need a car to drive." They set me up with a rental that they paid for (minus gas, of course) so I didn't need to go into negotiations. It just so happened that the rental car was a new Jetta 2.5 with only 2500 miles on the clock.

RatherBeInCabo

Ready to race!
They are totally hit and miss, it seems. Hopefully you've got other choices? If I have options, I always walk after bad service and don't look back unless they have a change in management.

I was surprised at just how well they responded myself as I've gotten burnt at other dealers before. I actually wrote to the owner, Mr. McDonald, to tell him what a great job my service advisor did. He passed it along so hopefully I can keep the good energy moving as I continue to visit. When I visit again, I might bring donuts just to say thanks.
I came from a BMW and while a lot of people will complain about service, I always had great service. Every other time or so I would get my SA a $25 Starbucks gift card. I got quite a few things fixed as warranty that should not have been so it can pay to treat your SA good.

Basil_Fawlty

Ready to race!
Took the car in on Friday to McDonald VW for it's 3 month, 6,000 mile courtesy service. Told them about driver's side wind noise above 35 mph and that creaking floor b-pillar rattle.

They took very good care of me, but this fix took a while and invovled calling the regional rep for a solution. I got the car back last night (Monday) and all is well. I read the tech's notes and they tried all methods of fixing this after removing all the material around the b pillar. They finally called the regional who suggested a striker plate adjustment. That did the trick. The wind noise was caused from loose molding. Drove it hard last night and everything is perfect now.

I got a 2.5 Jetta as a rental (they paid for it). Handles well for a base car but that engine simply doesn't deliver the juice the way my turbo does. Great to have the GTI back.

For all of you that have mentioned this issue -- don't get frustrated, there is a fix!

I want to put in a good work for McDonald VW as well. I’ve read about some poor experiences with them but mine was great.

This explains thigns for me. When I run my car through the laser no touch car wash, I get a tiny bit of water in on the drivers side. If sitting in the drivers seat head turned left, it comes in at the upper left cornor. No bad wind noise. But at other times, when I get out and shut the door, it doesn't sound right. So I reshut several times trying to recreate. So a striker plate adjustment sound like that would be a good fix. Thanks for sharing this, I'll make a list of minor items for the dealer to look at when I take it in for its complimentary check up.

toady

Passed Driver's Ed
Glad to help

This explains thigns for me. When I run my car through the laser no touch car wash, I get a tiny bit of water in on the drivers side. If sitting in the drivers seat head turned left, it comes in at the upper left cornor. No bad wind noise. But at other times, when I get out and shut the door, it doesn't sound right. So I reshut several times trying to recreate. So a striker plate adjustment sound like that would be a good fix. Thanks for sharing this, I'll make a list of minor items for the dealer to look at when I take it in for its complimentary check up.

Because the VW rep was so quick with the solution, it's safe to assume this is widespread. Don't know why the rep isn't communicating these things directly to the dealership proactively, however? I don't know what it takes to turn something into a TSB, do you?

Basil_Fawlty

Ready to race!
Because the VW rep was so quick with the solution, it's safe to assume this is widespread. Don't know why the rep isn't communicating these things directly to the dealership proactively, however? I don't know what it takes to turn something into a TSB, do you?

Dont know about the TSB.

I think a lot can depend on the dealership and how proactive the service center really is in my opinion.

I hope the dribble on the rear squiter is known.

NoCaution

SofaKingEuro.com
Well - I too have a horrendous wind noise, but no rattle that I can tell... yet. I took my car to Lithia VW up in Thornton yesterday (where I bought it on Monday) and tried to get this fixed. After 2 hours they said that it is a known issue, but there is no fix for it. They claim that the striker plate cannot be adjusted and that when there is an official fix they'll let me know. They also said they took 2 other cars from the lot out and it was on both of them too.

I would assume that they either just didn't want to fix it, or they are under the instruction to put me off until there is a recall of some sort.

So the question is this: Do I even bother to try my luck with another dealership? I got in a screaming match with the sales manager over at McDonald, so I won't go there no matter what. That place has SERIOUS issues IMHO, including the fact that they fill all of their cars at this run down, cheap-ass, generic gas station and only use 85 octane, which they swear is "just fine" in the GTI, even going so far as to call me foolish for using 91. Maybe my experience is unique, but I will NEVER let them get their hands on my car. So maybe Tynans, or Emich???

I have even considered getting some foam tape or weather striping and doing temp fix till I can get it sorted, but I don't feel like dealing with the hassle of scraping that crap off.

toady

Passed Driver's Ed
Of course it's worth it!

You have a nice car that needs to be 100% correct, not 95%. It's covered by warranty and part of your purchase price reflects VW's requirement to make the car right. I felt rather slimey about sales at McDonald as well although in the end I ended up paying only $500 over invoice without a shouting match.

My personal experience with dealers for both this and other brands of cars is that there is often no correlation between the sales side and the service side. Also, any victory you believe you have achieved by getting back at a salesjerk but not letting the dealership do the service only hurts you in the long run. Now you have your pride and a windy car and what good is that?

Why not call them and tell them you recently read a positive customer review on the forum that said they were able to fix this problem and ask if they can't help? What do you have to lose?

Well - I too have a horrendous wind noise, but no rattle that I can tell... yet. I took my car to Lithia VW up in Thornton yesterday (where I bought it on Monday) and tried to get this fixed. After 2 hours they said that it is a known issue, but there is no fix for it. They claim that the striker plate cannot be adjusted and that when there is an official fix they'll let me know. They also said they took 2 other cars from the lot out and it was on both of them too.

I would assume that they either just didn't want to fix it, or they are under the instruction to put me off until there is a recall of some sort.

So the question is this: Do I even bother to try my luck with another dealership? I got in a screaming match with the sales manager over at McDonald, so I won't go there no matter what. That place has SERIOUS issues IMHO, including the fact that they fill all of their cars at this run down, cheap-ass, generic gas station and only use 85 octane, which they swear is "just fine" in the GTI, even going so far as to call me foolish for using 91. Maybe my experience is unique, but I will NEVER let them get their hands on my car. So maybe Tynans, or Emich???

I have even considered getting some foam tape or weather striping and doing temp fix till I can get it sorted, but I don't feel like dealing with the hassle of scraping that crap off.

Geofux

Ready to race!
From my understanding, if the dealership has its own loaners the dealership will cover that cost. Sometimes they do have a daily fee if you use one but in the case of warranty then it would be covered by VW, even if you get a rental from another company, VW will cover it. If your car needs a tow because of something faulty, VW will cover it.. that kind of deal. But if the dealer screws up, the dealer pays for it. You get the gist of what I mean.

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
I've been told that dealer loaners (at my dealership) are provided if the service is expected to take more than 4 hours.

As for my situation, I mentioned... I played phone tag for 4 days last week then sent an email on Friday and have yet to hear back. I copied a friend of mine that works for the Audi side (and sold me my car) so I expect to hear back soon.

Funny thing is, I have not heard the clicking noise the past few days.