GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Base Golf speaker replacement suggestions

jontalk

Ready to race!
After lots of research around ways to improve the sound quality coming from my Premium 7 HU, I've decided to start with the speakers since they're obviously garbage. I'm looking for recommendations to replace the front component set (coax and tweeters), though for it would be nice to find an entire set that includes the rear speakers as well. So far I've come across the JBL Stage 600C and Alpine SPS610c for the fronts. I just want nice clear mids and highs using the stock door panel speaker grills.

Thanks

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
components: midbass woofer + tweeters

coax: coaxial speakers

And yes, they make convertible components that you can mount the tweeters onto the mid section of the midbass.

jontalk

Ready to race!
components: midbass woofer + tweeters

coax: coaxial speakers

And yes, they make convertible components that you can mount the tweeters onto the mid section of the midbass.

Ummm..thanks but what I was looking for was actual brand/model recommendations.. I know the door speakers are midrange/woofers and the ones in the window corner are tweeters...so are you saying the rear speakers are coax then? I've been looking into the JBL Stage 600C and Alpine SPS610c component set for the fronts

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Front and rear speakers in my 4dr GTI are the same: 6.5" components. You can fit up to 2.5" deep speakers in the front doors by using a 3/4" spacer. Rear speakers have plenty of mounting depth.

I don't have any recommendations for specific speakers but remember you will need speaker ring adapters and some kind of wiring adapters (depending on how you wire the speakers). If you are looking for a significant upgrade in sound quality I don't think you will get it by swapping speakers only. It adds a bit of complexity but you may want to consider adding a mini 2ch amp with speaker level inputs (such as this one) to power the front speakers. You can stash it under a front seat or somewhere behind/under the dash. If you can do the install yourself this is an economical solution that will yield decent results.

I just went through my first big audio install and it was a learning process. If you have any questions let me know.

jontalk

Ready to race!
Tony...thanks..I'm not into the whole subwoofer, high powered amp thing. As I might have mentioned I was going to upgrade the Premium 7 to an RCD 510 but after learning the sound quality won't change much, it's obvious the problem lies with the equipment DELIVERING the sound, i.e. speakers. I listen to FM and some CD's and don't drive a whole lot. But when I do the muddy midrange from the crap VW installs in a base Golf drives me nuts. I had heard the Alpine KTP 445U is a good amp, though right now, I just want to go with speakers to see how it sounds. Crutchfield chat guy recommended Polk Audio DiX6501C for front and DiX651 for rears