GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best mods to add HP/TQ without much NVH?

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I 2nd the rear sway bar suggestion. Also an open air intake. It may add a couple HP but sounds great.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
I recently picked up a low mileage ‘15 GTI 6MT to use as a commuter car. This is my 4th car in my stable, and I’d like to make it fun, but not go too crazy with it and such. At 39 years old, I also do not want to make it loud, low, etc. I’d just like to add a bit to this stock car to help keep a smile on my face on my commute.

So, what would be the best mods to do prior to a tune on these cars with adding minimal NVH? I will be getting a tune on the car, but am wondering which parts/mods will compliment each other and the tune as best as possible. Coming from the LS/LT and Coyote world, I can’t say I know a ton about these cars.

After modding many cars in the past I’ve learned that there are worthwhile mods, fluff and marketing bs. I’ve also learned that you can very easily ‘ruin’ a car.

Is there a preferred shifter upgrade?

I can't imagine any other mod that will do this than a simple tune as everyone else suggested. Literally, zero hardware and you'll be upping your power more than half of what the car comes with.

As I creep up towards your age as well, I had that same mentality when I got this car coming from a much louder Mk6 GTI with everything touched. I will say, even for me, the stock GTI is waaaay too quiet and tame. I felt I needed just a LITTLE something that I could hear the car at least, but nothing that would annoy anyone else. I was looking for a tasteful sound increase. Thus far, I feel I've gotten that, with the key, just don't change the downpipe, lol. Keep OEM downpipe and mate that to an exhaust system. Personally, I went with AWE. You might initially be disappointed at how quiet it is after realizing you just installed an exhaust, but then realize, that is what you were looking for to begin with. The sound has aged better as I've put miles on it and it is very clean with the OEM downpipe.

With the tune, a companion mod would have to be intercooler as everyone else mentioned although I haven't done this yet. I plan to hopefully this year. You will also eventually need a clutch upgrade if manual. Tires... that's about it. Keeping it mostly subtle but putting a smile on your face.

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
This may or may not be a good suggestion depending BUT, you could get an alignment done and use the CS settings. It certainly isn't for everyone and really not sure how it would be on a stock GTI suspension but I recently did it on a fully revamped suspension and really like it. On-center freeway cruising is darty but man, the alignment has brought another level to the handling of the car.

vu.

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf GTI (Sold)
If you do tune your GTI with it being a manual transmission, you are going to have to upgrade the clutch because it will start to slip... You may or may not get away with having a Stage 1 tune on your stock clutch but it all depends on your driving habits. Personally, I would upgrade it anyway.

murph3699

Go Kart Newbie
I can't imagine any other mod that will do this than a simple tune as everyone else suggested. Literally, zero hardware and you'll be upping your power more than half of what the car comes with.

As I creep up towards your age as well, I had that same mentality when I got this car coming from a much louder Mk6 GTI with everything touched. I will say, even for me, the stock GTI is waaaay too quiet and tame. I felt I needed just a LITTLE something that I could hear the car at least, but nothing that would annoy anyone else. I was looking for a tasteful sound increase. Thus far, I feel I've gotten that, with the key, just don't change the downpipe, lol. Keep OEM downpipe and mate that to an exhaust system. Personally, I went with AWE. You might initially be disappointed at how quiet it is after realizing you just installed an exhaust, but then realize, that is what you were looking for to begin with. The sound has aged better as I've put miles on it and it is very clean with the OEM downpipe.

With the tune, a companion mod would have to be intercooler as everyone else mentioned although I haven't done this yet. I plan to hopefully this year. You will also eventually need a clutch upgrade if manual. Tires... that's about it. Keeping it mostly subtle but putting a smile on your face.

Same. I'm 47 and went with the AWE track catback. Its loud enough to know I have it but not obnoxious enough to aggravate my neighbors.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
This may or may not be a good suggestion depending BUT, you could get an alignment done and use the CS settings. It certainly isn't for everyone and really not sure how it would be on a stock GTI suspension but I recently did it on a fully revamped suspension and really like it. On-center freeway cruising is darty but man, the alignment has brought another level to the handling of the car.
What are CS settings

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
Umm, dunno. When I went to get the alignment the ClubSport option popped up on the screen so just did it. I have the print out at work so could post a pic of it on Monday if you're interested. Gonna assume it can be Googled too...