GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

**BEWARE** ECU Failure - GMP Performance (Charlotte) & APR

McFuzz

Go Kart Champion
I'm not divulging any info, but I will say the info I based my opinion on is what I personally know, not what I was told by one side or the other. And I'm not speaking anymore on it as it's not my business.

What is there not to know?

DM founded by ex APR employee who, while probably did not 'steal' any APR IP, has enough knowledge to make himself very dangerous to the APR tuning niche but without APR having any recourse.

How far am I from the truth?

It's nothing unusual really; this is how the business world works. You should see the semi-conductor world; every few years there's a huge migration of brilliant minds from one big name to another big name...

speedster

Go Kart Champion
There is a lot of misinformation and misguided hatred. Just to give some background we are an independent shop that is an APR master distributor that has easily done hundreds of MK6 ecus, of which I would conservatively say I have personally performed about 75% of those.

On to this thread. Playing "devils advocate" my only only gripe is that the time frame was very abrupt for diagnostics, unto having someone to be responsible for a 3rd parties repair. What I find odd was the statement of "June 26, 2014 – I had not heard a word from APR or GMP so I call GMP." The first part being about APR, there was no mention of APR, or anyone contacting them previously so why expect word from them?!? I dont mean this as a negative in saying the OP to be upset, just doesnt make sense.

Secondly, GMP only had a 1 day notice from the time they were told till the repair was done. This makes me think the ecu was already ordered, and set for repair before GMP even knew what was going on. Again there is nothing wrong with this but also not reasonable for GMP then to immediately turn around and issue a refund. From a business perspective they have to cover their bases as well. For example years back I had a customer want us to pay for his ecu a couple weeks after we flashed it on a mk5 gli(keep in mind its a port flash), here it turned out his fuel pump went, kept cranking the car till it died, then tried jumping it with reverse cables and fried the ecu and airbag module. Not saying this happened with the OP but they should have the right to assess the situation as well before forking out a bunch of money.

GMP has been an APR dealer for years and can vouch for the multitude of upgrades they have done. I highly doubt someone did something malicious or negligent on this particular ecu to have everyone saying that they dont know what they are doing or botched the install. I have stated this in other posts and some will argue forever(even though they have never opened an ecu) but the simple fact of opening the ecu can sometimes cause issue. Think about it, even with the roughly 15 failures reported on here, I think they have all been generally 6 months to a year later. If someone "destroyed" these delicate ecu's it would not have taken so long for issues to present, let alone a common length of time later.

To beat a dead horse blaming APR holds no water(no pun intended) as they have nothing really to do with it. That would be like installing windows on a dell computer, something electrical inside the computer craps out, then blaming windows? The same goes for any tuner whos software is installed in a mk6 ecu.

Out of all the mk6 ecus we have done, there are only 3 failures I know of, again 6+ months later. Shit happens and highly doubt GMP did anything negligent/wrong from an install end. Im sure it will get worked out in the end but everyone freaking out because it wasn't resolved in a the first couple days is crazy.

-Tom
So pay to play basically?

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6

twodotfive

Ready to race!
If someone "destroyed" these delicate ecu's it would not have taken so long for issues to present, let alone a common length of time later.

..Unless they didn't seal it properly when closing it up and moisture eventually made it's way in there a good ways down the road.

tom@aptuning

VW Service & Performance
So pay to play basically?

Not saying that at all, just could have been handled a bit differently then the way it was.

We were actually working on the idea of an "insurance" policy so to say like mentioned previous for our in house installs, nominal fee at time of tune purchase covers for X amount of time. The delay is to do it right its gotta have proper legal backing which isn't quick or easy. The other downfall(although a benefit as a whole) is for the unforeseen future cars will be port flash again, so it would be a lot of money to start something that will now be outdated and cover a limited platform.

tom@aptuning

VW Service & Performance
..Unless they didn't seal it properly when closing it up and moisture eventually made it's way in there a good ways down the road.

Anythings possible. My point was saying they destroyed it sounds negligent which I think would be far from reality. Im sure then do a lot of them so would be a fluke if one had a problem, not the norm.

drewmtb1

Ready to race!
Green snot of some sort. It almost looks like that green slime stuff they use on tires but a little more dried out.

WhanAB

Passed Driver's Ed
APR ECU

always believe to start out just getting things fixed and then go back and examine how things were handled....... then with facts either go for the juggler or sing praises .........

My experience with GMP was ... APR said to go to them to update/download a stage higher free maybe a small fee for labor.......

I called to personally ask if they could do it (as it is a 2 hour drive one way) No problem made an appointment........

showed up no one knew anything .. they ask who I talked to I told them they said he was sick and had not written my appointment down.......

He came in for me (nice) and then said they could not do it.. He tried a couple things and said sorry... then he asked for money $75 What would you have done??????????????????????

I will never go there again unless I am getting something worth my wild and no installations of anything.......

I do not down to many if any as it is hard enough to run a business and stay in business as long as GMP has but I live in the area and it use to be if you had a Exotic you could go to GMP not anymore I send them somewhere else along with Audi VW BMW