GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bilstein suspension component questions

PaulyFe12

Ready to race!
Two questions here,

1: If anyone has the Bilstein B6/B8 shocks and struts with DG or VWR springs OR if anyone has the Bilstein B12 Pro or Sportline kits and has any pics of the ride heights that would be very helpful.

2: I have read something pretty annoying about Bilstein suspension parts. Apparently the B6/B8s valving is aggressive enough to lift the car slightly. For example if I were to use DG springs on a stock shock it would lower it slightly(.8-1.2 inches). But if I were to use the same DG springs with B6/B8s it would be barely lower than stock height. If anyone has any experience with these setups please let me know if I am wrong or correct. If I am correct then what springs would achieve a desired 1 inch drop? Thinking H&R sports with the B8s would get it if the B6/B8s do indeed lift a little.

Last edited:

estepnie

Ready to race!
I'm running the B8 shocks with VWR springs and the TT rear spring pad. After I did the install of the B8 shocks, iirc the car sat slightly lower in the front and rear about the same(bc of the spring pads).
I had the VWR springs with the OEM shocks first then installed the bilsteins and TT spring pads later.

If I remember I'll take a picture after work.
Front FTG: 25"
Rear FTG: 25 1/2"

Last edited:

PaulyFe12

Ready to race!
I think i remember hearing that the VWR springs do cause a bit of raking. You think that with the DG springs the rear would actually be raised instead of being the same?

estepnie

Ready to race!
I think i remember hearing that the VWR springs do cause a bit of raking. You think that with the DG springs the rear would actually be raised instead of being the same?
Yes bc DG springs tend to sit higher than the VWRs. The TT spring pads fix the reverse rake from the VWR springs.

PaulyFe12

Ready to race!
you think that if I went with the DG/B6 combo i should get new pads and strut mounts before installing if my car only has 20,000 miles?

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
you think that if I went with the DG/B6 combo i should get new pads and strut mounts before installing if my car only has 20,000 miles?

100% get the 034 motorsports strut mounts. I know people claim the TT ones are firmer than the gti mounts 034 posted a video (because of me) and the TT mounts durometer test showed softer rubber. As for the spring pad I would install without it drive it for a week or 2 and see how it sits. If you decide you want the ass end up a little then order it. The install is stupid easy for the isolator.

estepnie

Ready to race!
I only replaced the rear spring pads to fix the reverse rake, otherwise the stock can be reused.
I replaced the front strut mounts(upgraded to 034 motorsports) when I installed the bilsteins. At 20K I think you'd be ok reusing the strut mounts but definitely replace the strut bearings.

estepnie

Ready to race!
Posted pic in post above

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

ralphykid67

Ready to race!

Bilstein B8's with Eibach Pro-Kits. 25" up front and 25 1/8" in back approximate.

From all I've read, the "lift" caused by the valving in Bilsteins is negligible and not anything to get overly concerned with. They are arguably the best quality shocks for the money so don't let this "lift" deter you.

PaulyFe12

Ready to race!
So just to be safe, get 034 strut mounts and struts bearings when installing. and dude thats exactly what I want, are your wheels tucked at all? like even when under load? cause im pretty sure with my 10mm front and 12mm rear spacers the tires are lined up with the edge of the fender, so no tuck for me

Also where would you recommend I get the Strut bearings from?

I found 034 Strut mounts in a few places, but IDK about the bearings.
And if you have any recommendations where I should anything the springs, shocks and struts, bearings or mounts from, please lemmie know

Last edited:

PaulyFe12

Ready to race!
SKF or OEM gotcha.

and DG spring with B8= about 1 inch of drop

DG spring with B6= about .5 or less.

Sound about right? I hate to be annoying with this I just wanna make sure I have this right

Shore GTI

Ready to race!
Ride height should be the same when using
B6 & B8 shocks.
The difference between the two is shaft
Length, the valves are the same.
Unless the shorter shaft of the B8
units are actually pinning the suspension
down. We know that is not the case.

I really don't understand.

I'm 25" FTG front & 25.25" FTG Rear
with DG, & B6, SFK bearings, & TT Strut mount setup.

Last edited:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
These threads by PaulyFe12...