GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BMW 535i

kern417

Go Kart Champion
You are right that it is your opinion. But if you think most GTI owners mod their engines than you need to look outside this forum. Not all GTI owners are as enthusiastic as those here and it's a pretty good guess that a large majority leave their cars stock. By the way I said nothing about autocross.

Look dude, just as you come from your point of view, I come from mine. Mine is that you buy a car like a GTI party because of the speed but more because it's fun to drive on twisty roads. It's not a Vette or a Porsche but VW has made a sporty family sedan that is a lot of fun to drive at a good price.

well most people don't buy a gti for any twisties either. it's just a daily driver to get to work in. my buddy just got a new 2 door dsg and i asked him how he liked the dual clutch and he had no idea what i was talking about :laugh:

if you're talking about twisties and taking turns that would be the same as autocross, no? i mean that's where the convo was going before you commented. soooo if you ask someone whether they'd rather be fast in the quarter or around an autocross course, most people would enjoy straight line speed more. it doesn't matter what the vehicle is. now being fwd our car isn't the best for it anyway, but most folks that do mod go tune before suspension for the same reason. they want to up the power to feel more acceleration first, not improve handling.

so yeah. i'm not sure how my opinion puts me in the minority.

6MT_GTI

Ready to race!
well most people don't buy a gti for any twisties either. it's just a daily driver to get to work in. my buddy just got a new 2 door dsg and i asked him how he liked the dual clutch and he had no idea what i was talking about :laugh:

Dual Clutch is the same junk as Automatic for the DD through the city. Therefore, your buddy bought an Automatic, not even knowing DSG is the only (non-MT) option for the GTI.
The reason I got rid of my 335is DCT was that it was boring for the sity drive and annoying for the city "spiited" runs if you're not used to the pedal shifters.
A few times I stepped on it on the open road showed that it is made for the track or really non-DD

reillyse

Go Kart Champion
Dual Clutch is the same junk as Automatic for the DD through the city. Therefore, your buddy bought an Automatic, not even knowing DSG is the only (non-MT) option for the GTI.
The reason I got rid of my 335is DCT was that it was boring for the sity drive and annoying for the city "spiited" runs if you're not used to the pedal shifters.
A few times I stepped on it on the open road showed that it is made for the track or really non-DD

DSG is excellent for city driving if u just use manual mode.

6MT_GTI

Ready to race!
DSG is excellent for city driving if u just use manual mode.

Obviously personal opinion.
IMO: Manual mode is definitely not for City driving, but for spirited driving. Auto mode is to deal with traffic.
Also, if you don't drive with your hands at 10 and 2, it is hard to get used to the shifters...

I prefer the 6MT much more over the DCT/DSG/AT in Dallas...and the 335 was the first and last non MT for me

kern417

Go Kart Champion
Obviously personal opinion.
IMO: Manual mode is definitely not for City driving, but for spirited driving. Auto mode is to deal with traffic.
Also, if you don't drive with your hands at 10 and 2, it is hard to get used to the shifters...

I prefer the 6MT much more over the DCT/DSG/AT in Dallas...and the 335 was the first and last non MT for me

see now it's obvious you're in a league of your own. i know me myself would never want an automatic but that's just personal preference. i've never heard of anyone saying an auto is more difficult to drive in traffic than a manual. different strokes for different folks is definitely valid.

rquinn19

Ready to race!
see now it's obvious you're in a league of your own. i know me myself would never want an automatic but that's just personal preference. i've never heard of anyone saying an auto is more difficult to drive in traffic than a manual. different strokes for different folks is definitely valid.

Not sure on the MKVI but my MKIV 1.8T I could just put it in second and drive in traffic all day. No jerkiness, no problems at all. My WRX I'm constantly shifting back and forth and let of the gas in 1st or 2nd and the car jerks. With all the issues I had with my VW I miss it so much and shouldve looked into it more when picking my most recent car. Especially now that they have 4 door GTIs. Didn't have that back then.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie

if you're talking about twisties and taking turns that would be the same as autocross, no? i mean that's where the convo was going before you commented. soooo if you ask someone whether they'd rather be fast in the quarter or around an autocross course, most people would enjoy straight line speed more. it doesn't matter what the vehicle is. now being fwd our car isn't the best for it anyway, but most folks that do mod go tune before suspension for the same reason. they want to up the power to feel more acceleration first, not improve handling.

so yeah. i'm not sure how my opinion puts me in the minority.

Wouldn't someone who wants a daily driver get a regular Golf instead of a GTI? The only reason a non-enthusiast would get a GTI is for the GTI trim. As far as autocross vs twisties, in my mind they are totally different types of driving. One is a course set up in a large parking lot, the other, exactly what it says, curving roads. Autocross setups do not duplicate twisty road conditions.

rquinn19

Ready to race!
I guess I interpreted kern417's post as "daily driver" meaning a more mundane car for people who see a car as an appliance. I doubt you are in that category.

Daily driver = driven daily, to and from work, to the store, etc.

Not a car that stays in the garage and only comes out for track days, car shows and sunday drives

kern417

Go Kart Champion
yeah. again, autocross=twisties because that's exactly what it is. a bunch of turns back and forth testing your cars acceleration as much as it's handling. back roads have their share of straights but if your talking about actual twisties i'm thinking hair pin turns going from 90-180*. so it's basically the same idea.

and people will buy the gti because it is more fuel efficient, has better interior, and is faster. same reason plenty of people bump up to s4 or m3. they want something that's quicker than the standard out of the box without having to mess with it. idk, maybe your definition of "enthusiast" is different too.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
yeah. again, autocross=twisties because that's exactly what it is. a bunch of turns back and forth testing your cars acceleration as much as it's handling. back roads have their share of straights but if your talking about actual twisties i'm thinking hair pin turns going from 90-180*. so it's basically the same idea.

and people will buy the gti because it is more fuel efficient, has better interior, and is faster. same reason plenty of people bump up to s4 or m3. they want something that's quicker than the standard out of the box without having to mess with it. idk, maybe your definition of "enthusiast" is different too.

Driving an autocross course is not the same as driving twisties. I see what you are saying but in the real world, a series of cambered turns of varying lengths with different straightaway sections between are quite different. More like the Nurburgring vs a go cart track.

I'm sure you are right that people buy a GTI for various reasons. It just seems to me that if they don't value the qualities it embodies like improved dynamics and more straight line speed, they would look at a 5 cylinder Golf.

As an enthusiast I drive a 3 series BMW with a std transmission because I like the way it feels and love to take it through corners. It has great driving dynamics. An Accord would give me more interior and trunk space and be more luxurious for less money but that's not what I'm interested in driving. Same reason I'm interested in the GTI.