GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Break in period

BMWguyw/GTI1

Ready to race!
Hi all I just got a 2011 carbon steel grey metallic GTI manual and I was reading my owners manual and saw a 1000 mile breakin peroid. It says no full throttle no more then 2/3 of the engines top speed and no towing. I have given it full throttle to redline a few times allready before reading that. Seeing how some people put stage x tunes on there car when almost new futrell for example. I was wondering if anyone follows this. I have been a bmw tech for a long time now and only remember any break in stuff on M models.

plat

Ready to race!
There's a very important reason for breaking-in an engine. My recommendation is to stick with the manufacturer's recommendations and keep your lead foot off the pedal until after 1000 miles. Don't you care about the long-term longevity of the engine?

TREGinginCO

Ready to race!
Follow the owner's manual ---- and because you've already done the full-throttle deal a couple of time --- I wouldn't sweat it.

Mr.Alex

I Got That 6.
I accidently touched redline once during the break in period, then on the way to waterfest16 I hit 97 but didnt cross 100 so thats that. But during the rest of the period I drove normaly, would throw it in tip and shift around 4k.

BMWguyw/GTI1

Ready to race!
Yea I care about the how long the engine will last. I have been taking it easy on it since i read the manual. I wasn't intentionally beating on the car saying screw VW I just didn't know there was a break in peroid on these cars.600 miles is not that long i am up too 400 allready so the time will go quickly.

I got my vagcom today and a diesel geek shifter is otw just waiting for apr now for the software ordering the turbo back exhaust and carbono intake while it is on sale. The dam second piece is out of stock too :(. I want to order some golf R taillights I just have to call been busy this week at work no time. I allready got another tow hook from vw and am making a nice no hole front plate mount with that and a BMW E34 plate bracket. Will post pics when the bracket comes in.

chapusin1

Go Kart Champion
On my first mk6 engine I didn't care too much about break in. I flashed it at 1k miles. I started having some stuttering issues at around 5k miles (at stop lights I could feel the car shaking a lot like misfiring). I also saw oil in my driveway 2 times.

Engine was replaced for another reason.

On this new engine, I was a little bit more careful for the break in but I still flashed it at 600 miles I think. Engine is now 3800 miles and working perfectly.

BMWguyw/GTI1

Ready to race!
Well I just ordered the APR turbo back exhaust and both intake parts. Just have to wait for the software now don't want to install with out software and get constant check engine lights.