GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Budget of ~$35,000 for a DD. What to buy?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
hope you got some extra cash for those porsche maintenance cost.

says a guy who owns a VW? :confused:

Pretty sure they have some decent realiabilty ratings. You definitely would want to have a porsche dealer or speciality shop inspect it prior to a purchase.

disclaf

Ready to race!
hope you got some extra cash for those porsche maintenance cost.

Thank you for providing the voice of reason! :D

I would look to get the extra 2 year warranty through the CPO and keep my fingers crossed...

The 2nd generation Cayman seems pretty reliable though...they doesn't seem to have as many issues as the first generation...

Isj

Go Kart Champion
says a guy who owns a VW? :confused:

Pretty sure they have some decent realiabilty ratings. You definitely would want to have a porsche dealer or speciality shop inspect it prior to a purchase.

Last I checked, a VW dealer wasn't charging more than $150 just for an oil change. Have you ever looked at the prices for maintenance on porsche vehicles? Comparing it to VW is just.....silly.

Thank you for providing the voice of reason! :D

I would look to get the extra 2 year warranty through the CPO and keep my fingers crossed...

The 2nd generation Cayman seems pretty reliable though...they doesn't seem to have as many issues as the first generation...

Porsche are generally reliable, my parents used to own an 01 boxster S for 6 years, only thing they paid was maintenance, 0 warranty work and repairs. Very expensive maintenance though, especially the brakes.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Last I checked, a VW dealer wasn't charging more than $150 just for an oil change. Have you ever looked at the prices for maintenance on porsche vehicles? Comparing it to VW is just.....silly.

good point - i was more thinking overall reliability. When I owned my pcars, I never took them to a dealer, thats just stupid. But you can find niche shops that wont kill you on charges, but yes - good point, esp if someone will only be going to the dealer.

yeah, doing any kind of brake work at a dealer is mad dollars, even on civics, etc.

smrtypants44

Go Kart Champion

Porsche are generally reliable, my parents used to own an 01 boxster S for 6 years, only thing they paid was maintenance, 0 warranty work and repairs. Very expensive maintenance though, especially the brakes.

Supposedly the first gen Porsche boxster is the most reliable car you can buy.

dinkdinker

Ready to race!
Here's the deal:
My wife currently drives a 2007 Honda Fit as her DD, and the GTI is my DD.

Lately she has been eyeballing my GTI hard, agreeing to all mods, and asking to drive it more often (yikes!). Needless to say, the Fit is finished...

What to do?

Of course, I proposition her - the GTI can be hers if I have a budget of around
$35K for my next car. She agreed! :thumbup:

So - advice is needed on the possibilities.

My first choices are:
2006-2008 Cayman S (chrono sport if possible)
2008-2009 S5

Second choices:
2008-2009 135i
2006-2009 S4

Other possibilities:
New Abarth 500 (mixed feelings, have not driven one yet)
Wait for Alfa Romeo to arrive in US (who knows when that will be, and which cars will be coming over?)
Wait for MkVII GTI (need more info on features and build quality)

This next car would be my DD, and it would also be used for weekend jaunts around LI and upstate NY. My commute to work is less than 5 miles/day. We live in an apartment building with secure parking, but not covered. Manual transmission only. I prefer a German marque. I would probably not mod this next car beyond stage 1.

Each car has its pros and cons, which I am currently exploring. Several members on this forum currently own or have owned some of these cars, and I would appreciate your opinions regarding reliability and costs. Feel free to include other candidates as well.

Thanks!

Tell her to trade in her Fit for a GTI. Wear the pants. Don't let your wife take your car.

Banshee1

Go Kart Champion
Tell her to trade in her Fit for a GTI. Wear the pants. Don't let your wife take your car.

As much as I want to be respectful, that was the worst advice yet.

Pretty sure if he's driving any of the cars we've discussed he will still be wearing the pants (don't know about the fiat or 1-series though :lol:) not to mention he would still get to drive his/her GTI.

C4L

Banned
dude, you just love to argue, don't you? did you submit the app for law school yet?

first, a 335i is faster than the B7 S4. The 5 second test has to be one of the fastest I've seen, as I recall seeing other mags getting anywere from 5.2-5.4, but regardless, I wouldn't ever consider buying one or recommending one to someone.

Agreed, it is a better DD than the JDM rice rockets, yes. But thats about it. It would suck on a track and doesn't handle or feel anything like much of a "play car" or "toy" at all, imho. Evo's seem to have more stock lag than a WRX or STI, from my experiences, and regardless, its not that bad at all considering the rush that comes after the ever so slight lag.

I've driven a B7 S4 - it feels slow and heavy and gets horrible gas mileage. If I would have bought one over a 335i/xi, I'd feel like a complete moron. You can buy them (B7 S4) for as low as $26K in my area, sometimes lower depending on the mileage.

I did not comment on the 335 for a reason. To say a B7 S4 SUCKS is a reach... Especially coming from any of us here with GTI's...

I previously said the S4 wouldn't be good on the track and wouldn't be a fun toy/play car. I agree with you. The OP said he was looking for a DD car. And you agreed that the S4 is a better DD car...:confused: Who likes to argue here??

I know I would still rather have a B7 S4 over a comparable 335i X-Drive. They have the same performance (S4 and 335i X-Drive Sedan) but the 3 has a worse interior, and Quattro > X-Drive.

And in terms of gas mileage;
B7 S4 - 15/23mpg
335i X-Drive Sedan - 16/25mpg

I will take that small hit for 40 more hp, 1.2L more displacement, and 2 more cylinders...

S4 > 335i X-Drive Sedan (B7 and EASILY B8)

And Audis CPO warranty is one of the best there is. Better than BMW's... VERY important when buying a used high-performance European car.

Last edited:

C4L

Banned
I think a CC R-Line would be a nice DD.. Then there is the R.. If it were me though, I'd buy a yr old A4, go Stage 1 on it and call it a day. A lot of anti-A4 guys on this board, but I love those cars.

A4's are great DD cars. They have their purpose and as a street car they are very nice.

Stage 1 on the 2.0T FSI in that car will get you well under 6 seconds to 60 and 30mpg with Quattro AWD. Find an Sport Pack or Titanium Pack to get the stiffer suspension, sport seats, and sport wheel, and it could be a great route for all-around daily use.

Last edited:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
dude, you just love to argue, don't you? did you submit the app for law school yet?

first, a 335i is faster than the B7 S4. The 5 second test has to be one of the fastest I've seen, as I recall seeing other mags getting anywere from 5.2-5.4, but regardless, I wouldn't ever consider buying one or recommending one to someone.

Agreed, it is a better DD than the JDM rice rockets, yes. But thats about it. It would suck on a track and doesn't handle or feel anything like much of a "play car" or "toy" at all, imho. Evo's seem to have more stock lag than a WRX or STI, from my experiences, and regardless, its not that bad at all considering the rush that comes after the ever so slight lag.

I've driven a B7 S4 - it feels slow and heavy and gets horrible gas mileage. If I would have bought one over a 335i/xi, I'd feel like a complete moron. You can buy them (B7 S4) for as low as $26K in my area, sometimes lower depending on the mileage.

Don't waste your breath on that guy... he will troll everything to death :laugh:

C4L

Banned
Don't waste your breath on that guy... he will troll everything to death :laugh:

To disagree does not make one a troll. If you have nothing to add to the discussion at hand, don't comment...

Which is worse, a discussion or even argument regarding two like but opposing ideas or personal attacks??

The latter. Though what do I know. I am not even smart enough to do simple math (or read a calculators output) or read a spec sheet provided by either BMW or Audi or a test by C&D...:D