GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Building Otto

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
I'm running Jakes FMIC. It's a Vibrant 12810 core (I think?) and his piping.
Ok it usually has great IATs at some backpressure cost so honestly looks like you are running that small housing turbo out of its efficiency zone for your mods with how fast IATs are rising.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
There are plenty more Vortex's out there running more boost than I am. Although I do recall my tuner saying he could only add very little timing due to the heat. Maybe that's the difference? Admittedly I know jack all about tuning an engine.

EDIT: I reviewed my logs from the day I was being tuned, ambient was 94-95 and IATs were starting around 120-130 and getting down to 10-15 above ambient but in 4th gear pulls they were rising at the end of the pull like they are in the log I took yesterday.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
@Ezekiel81923 so what happened with the waste gate?

About to go down this rabbit hole/journey with my cousin's car with the same turbo.

The issue was the wastegate EQT provided was bad. I was able to get the EPC light to go away long enough each time to get a pull in to datalog and I got mostly tuned before I couldn't make any boost at all due to a perma-EPC light.

Secondary issue was the incompetence of the shop I was using to diagnose and fix everything.

If I were to do it all over...the stock turbo has a working wastegate. Use it. No sense in paying extra for another one and then spending out the ass just to find out it's bad and either a) installing the stock wg actuator anyway or b) buying a third one. It really is much easier than I made it.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Bonus injectors have arrived.

Ethanol sensor and manifold should be here Saturday. Dongle for tuning with SimosTools should be here Wednesday. Trying to get the MPI taken care of on Thursday and then hopefully tuning can commence shortly thereafter.

Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 1.09.30 PM.png

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
It'll be a flex fuel tune so not really targeting a specific blend. Anywhere between 93 and full E85 will work with the primary tune that I plan to run. Upper 400's is the goal. I'm not sure if the standard Vortex goes over 500, I haven't seen dynos that high but we don't need the motor to pop either so we're not going to push it for the sake of pushing it.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
It'll be a flex fuel tune so not really targeting a specific blend. Anywhere between 93 and full E85 will work with the primary tune that I plan to run. Upper 400's is the goal. I'm not sure if the standard Vortex goes over 500, I haven't seen dynos that high but we don't need the motor to pop either so we're not going to push it for the sake of pushing it.
Man one of these days we gotta hit Conshy Seafood Co for some lobster rolls, I want a ride lol my goal was MPI and conservative 93 tune to put me right around 400 with a Vortex, and a flex tune for E85 for when I'm feeling real spicy but this sounds like you're gonna be on some habanero shit

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Man one of these days we gotta hit Conshy Seafood Co for some lobster rolls, I want a ride lol my goal was MPI and conservative 93 tune to put me right around 400 with a Vortex, and a flex tune for E85 for when I'm feeling real spicy but this sounds like you're gonna be on some habanero shit

We'll see. I don't have a ton of access to E so how often I'm actually running it will depend on a lot of factors. But the option will be nice! Always down for lobster rolls, hopefully everything is sorted before you're next trip down!

Awesome. Who is going to tune it?

Kalam at Russell Road and Racing.

I'm happy to pay for a tune from a pro to get me up and running and enjoying the car. And to bank as a safety net. Moving forward I'll learn as much about the car and SimosTools as I can and eventually start playing around with my own tunes.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
We'll see. I don't have a ton of access to E so how often I'm actually running it will depend on a lot of factors. But the option will be nice! Always down for lobster rolls, hopefully everything is sorted before you're next trip down!
Looking very good for heading to Steel Stacks 4/21, it's also possible that I might get tires by then as well. But yeah, trips out to the KoP area are pretty regular, I'll drop you a DM next time we're going and maybe we can get food.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Looking very good for heading to Steel Stacks 4/21, it's also possible that I might get tires by then as well. But yeah, trips out to the KoP area are pretty regular, I'll drop you a DM next time we're going and maybe we can get food.

I'll be at Mainline on 4/14. I wasn't sure of the schedule for Steel Stacks yet but could possibly make it 4/21. Car may or may not be mid-tune and relatively unexciting those dates but nonetheless it's always good to get out. But yea definitely, let me know!

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
More fun news...

If you'll recall I bent another rim pretty good last fall before swapping the winters on. Rode on it for another month anyway before finally switching them out for the season. Bought a new wheel, finally had the tire swapped over today. Now that the tire is off the damage looks much worse. Glad driving on it didn't end poorly for me.

That's a crack on the lip that I could see. Also a crack behind the lip that I could not see.

20240328_145550.jpg 20240328_145608.jpg

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Rest of the goodies arrived over the weekend.

This manifold from StorableComa / SC Skunkwerks looks really nice. Not only did I not have to drill into my stock manifold (keep as a spare?) but the threaded inserts and holes for the extra injectors are really clean and it comes with new sensors / vac lines / gaskets pre-installed. Hard to beat at his price.

Also noticed my SimosTools dongle doesn't have a USB port or anywhere else obvious that I'd use to update the firmware so I guess that's done already. Will confirm with my tuner before getting carried away. Still need to get everything installed and naturally my clutch has started slipping like a MF so we need to decide to either deal with that now or yolo.

20240402_061438.jpg 20240402_061459.jpg 20240402_061454.jpg Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 6.23.01 AM.png 20240402_061611.jpg