GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Motorsports - Water / Meth Install

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Hello all,

My BMS water meth kit will be at the house today, the CTS pipe has already been installed on my car so I'll be tackling the water / meth install this week.

I'm going to try and document the install process here as I go, once installed I will start posting settings used.

Before I start:

I understand a few people here already have water meth kits installed, I'm looking for ideas on how to run the water lines and power to the trunk. I'm going to start looking when I get home but I remember not seeing any obvious grommets on the right side of the engine bay.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Very cool and I'm in for the results!

Is this a reversible process, or perm infant modification?

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Very cool and I'm in for the results!

Is this a reversible process, or perm infant modification?

This is reversible, and honestly should not be that bad of an install once I get the routing figured out.

cuper steve

Ready to race!
subscribed!

Not considering converting the windshield washer reservoir? I wanted to simplify my install and make sure that the removable floor panel can still swing up and down.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
subscribed!

Not considering converting the windshield washer reservoir? I wanted to simplify my install and make sure that the removable floor panel can still swing up and down.

I could covert the bottle, if running everything to the trunk becomes a headache then I might go that route.

Tonight's project is going to be finding the grommets behind the battery box (if there are any on the US spec GTI).

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
This is reversible, and honestly should not be that bad of an install once I get the routing figured out.

Thanks! LOL, I just read my post in your quote and noticed autocorrect butchering my misspelling!

*For the record, no I don't think modifying a car with infants is a good idea! Also take note that mod isn't in my sig!* :p

witsbusa

Ready to race!
I could covert the bottle, if running everything to the trunk becomes a headache then I might go that route.

Tonight's project is going to be finding the grommets behind the battery box (if there are any on the US spec GTI).

There is one behind the battery tray that I used to run my boost line for my P3 install.. from there, I don't know where you might go. Do you have info or link on the kit you got? I am thinking about getting a water / meth setup for the fun of it.

Look forward to seeing your progress and good luck.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
There is one behind the battery tray that I used to run my boost line for my P3 install.. from there, I don't know where you might go. Do you have info or link on the kit you got? I am thinking about getting a water / meth setup for the fun of it.

Look forward to seeing your progress and good luck.

Its a variant of this kit, single nozzle setup: http://www.burgertuning.com/meth.html

The grommet behind the battery you used for the P3 is what I'm looking at doing, then possibly running the power and lines through the side like a subwoofer install. Alternatively I could go down the center of the car but that might be more complicated.

Last edited:

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Awesome, thanks. Looking forward to this thread and your progress!

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Day 1 Progress

Since USPS never ceases to let me down, they did not delivery the kit today, it is literally ~5 miles from my house at a sorting facility.

So I got to work pulling the battery / battery tray / intake, to punch a hole in the firewall.

After I had the battery assembly out I went to find the rubber grommet inside the car, I found it exactly where the Deutsche Auto Parts video said it was.

Then I took a screwdriver and punched through SLOWLY to make sure I didn't hit anything on the other side. Once through I taped extra vacuum line I had around and pulled it through just to have it as a "fishing line" at a later date.

During all this excitement I realized with the battery out I could not pop the hatch, rookie mistake. Then via the power of the internet I found this video which explains the emergency hatch pop, which is literally impossible to do in an emergency.

https://youtu.be/pcoQxXIanfM

Pretty uneventful but I got a good start, the real challenge is going to be running the lines cleanly. The side plastics in the interior seem to be clipped in, however they are clipped in very well and I do not want to damage the LED strip in the fronts. I assume car audio guys have got around this already so I'm going to see what they might have done.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Second Day 1 Update

After talking with George I had to come up with a plan to run the meth line outside of the cabin. Combustible liquid plus cabin could potentially be a bad time, so I started pulling the trunk apart.

George sent me some pictures on how he ran the lines on the R, there is a grommet in the trunk that is near the exhaust hangars on both sides that goes straight to the trunk.

Here is where it leads to in the trunk:

Now my dilemma is, since that gives me direct access to run everything under the car, do I do both the meth line and power that way? If I did do that I could wrap the power wires in some sort of shielding before running them.

The car is not a daily driver and will be garaged this winter so the risk of wires going bad via weather or bad road conditions would be lessened. However we do get small floods where I live so maybe the cabin is the best place for power.

CharlieG

Passed Driver's Ed
Second Day 1 Update
Here is where it leads to in the trunk:

Now my dilemma is, since that gives me direct access to run everything under the car, do I do both the meth line and power that way? If I did do that I could wrap the power wires in some sort of shielding before running them.

The car is not a daily driver and will be garaged this winter so the risk of wires going bad via weather or bad road conditions would be lessened. However we do get small floods where I live so maybe the cabin is the best place for power.

There is a 12V power outlet in the trunk (boot).