GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burning oil, what now?

Savagecbmk6

Yea my 12 gti wit 133k miles on it is losing oil I don't think it's leaking pretty sure burning somehow . I changed the pcv valve a cple months back what else could be there problem thanks

Timothy Bryce

Ready to race!
Yea my 12 gti wit 133k miles on it is losing oil I don't think it's leaking pretty sure burning somehow . I changed the pcv valve a cple months back what else could be there problem thanks
How much is it losing? Is it definitely not leaking? Does the car have the original engine in it?
If it's not leaking and you've done the PCV it has to be burning which points to pistons and rings and/or valve seals. I've just had a new engine for this very reason. Although, as a 2012 yours should already have the revised pistons and rings which should be fine unless the car's been repeatedly ragged, abused or not maintained.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
These cars burn oil on a normal day so you should see some loss between oil changes. Personally my GTI needs about a half quart to a quart between changes and I always change it at 3-5k intervals. It's just the nature of the engine. My 2017 also needs a little oil between changes.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
At 140k mine uses a bit of oil as well. Still not as much as my Subarus with under 50k miles, so I'm not really concerned.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Mine is low miles, just a tick under 50,000 K. Truth be told I've never been bothered by a bit of burning oil. A quart in 5,000 K wouldn't worry me. The Forester was burning a quart plus in 3,000 K, but it was at about 110,000 K when it started that.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Something must be wrong with my GTI. No oil use between 5,000 mile changes. My Forester XT used oil like a 2 stroke.
Nothing is wrong with your car but like I said it is normal for them to consume oil. The VW dealer considers up to a quart every 1500 miles as acceptable.

Turbos consume oil, along with the PCV system.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
A dealer will say that. VW does not want to warranty a car for burning oil or anything really. A quart every 1,500 K is just fine. ;)