GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cant find the clunking noise!

fg93

Hey guys, first time posting, just got a 2013 GTI 2-door
There seems to be a clunk in the rear that I just cant find.
I've emptied out the entire hatch down to the bare metal, I've gone under the car and tried to replicate the noise by shaking the sway bar/shocks/exhaust hangers etc.
I've also tried adjusting the bump stops on the hatch.
I just cant seem to find the noise. It SOUNDS like its coming from the passenger side hatch area but I'm out of ideas on what else/how else I can diagnose the issue
It only happens at lower speeds on uneven/bumpy roads.

Any sort of direction would be appreciated. Thanks!

Video of the noise:

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I had an issue like this that drove me crazy for a winter. It ended up being the rear sway bar end links. The noise wasn't replicated by attempting to move the sway bar and end links by hand. I just couldn't figure out what else it could be so I replaced them for the hell of it and it fixed it. The were pretty loose once I got them off the car.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Did you check the shock mount?
Sounds like the shock is loose/rattling around to me, or maybe the mount is bad?

Check the end links too and sway bar mounts
(I'm not sure if your car is stock, been worked on recently or modified or what)

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
Disconnect one end link and drive around d to confirm whether it’s them. Drive slow with the hatch open to confirm it’s not the hatch rubbing anything.

SliMbo2.5

Ready to race!
Hey guys, first time posting, just got a 2013 GTI 2-door
There seems to be a clunk in the rear that I just cant find.
I've emptied out the entire hatch down to the bare metal, I've gone under the car and tried to replicate the noise by shaking the sway bar/shocks/exhaust hangers etc.
I've also tried adjusting the bump stops on the hatch.
I just cant seem to find the noise. It SOUNDS like its coming from the passenger side hatch area but I'm out of ideas on what else/how else I can diagnose the issue
It only happens at lower speeds on uneven/bumpy roads.

Any sort of direction would be appreciated. Thanks!

Video of the noise:

My first thought was the shock. What's the verdict man!

fg93

hey guys! I can confirm that it was the endlinks/swaybar bushings!

you definitely cannot recreate the noise by hand.

I'm just glad its not the shock mounts!

I ended up upgrading my sway bar and endlinks and the noise went away!