GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car won't align after spring/shock install?

shadowblue2013

Passed Driver's Ed
So about a week ago I had my car lowered moderately with HR super sports and koni oranges. (as well as bearing strut mount and strut bolts). I started a thread as well about it, and the issues that I have faced.

So long story short, install was mechanically sound, but for some reason I would heard a knocking noise over speed bumps and driveway ramps and things of that nature.

I had the guy check everything over after he installed it all to tighten bolts and he did, but the sound persisted.

So now I have been to two alignment shops, both of which were a nightmare to get onto and off of. :mad0259:

The first shop said to have aligned the car yet forgot to give me a printout.. :paddle:

That alignment was no good and luckily he refunded me.

Second place I went to said my car was low and that it would be tough to get on and off but he would try, so I took his word since he drove a red mk6 gli and really liked my car, figured he would be a standup guy. Car gets on fine, but getting it off took almost 40 minutes, and the plastic under my car was all jacked up and ripped off.. I ended up giving him 60$ because at this point I just wanted the car aligned and wheel straight. He showed me on the computer and it looked fine and aligned, but he was "out of ink" on his printer...

A few miles later I notice the wheel is much straighter yet the car still pulls slightly right. So my wheel must be turned slightly left for it to go straight..

I bring it back and he offers to check it again, which I refused to do as I didnt want anymore damage done. All he could really tell me was i tried to align it and kind of shrugged. He then proceeded to tell me my rear was so low that I have some camber and that may be a reason im pulling right.. and that its normal since his car does it too..

Bottom line I've dealt with two clowns who attemped to align my car but for some reason it just isnt. Im going to check the dealer and see how much they would charge.. and if they would since im lowered a bit.

On a side note. when I looked under the car I noticed that the plastic under the passenger side of the car was kind of broken or cracked, and wasnt staying in place securely. I am wondering if that noise my suspension is having is from the plastic knocking around??

Anyone have any advice or would like to chime in???
I am in NYC area for the record..

at this point I feel like going back to stock :thumbdown:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Your thread title says "won't align"?
I don't get it though...what's the issue?

Because the steering wheel is off center a little? Mine is like that too after just having it aligned...especially on these bad/crowned roads, it never appears straight.

But if it's truly "pulling slightly right"...then it's not aligned.
But if it's slightly DRIFTING right....that can be okay as long as everything is aligned & in spec. Again, could be the roads as well playing a factor.

Why was the first alignment "no good" either, btw? (explain)

As for being lowered....the H&R Super Sports do drop it quite a bit (for springs), but you shouldn't have any problems with a shop aligning it. I don't get that part either
I've had the dealer (and Firestone) align my cars on springs & coilovers and never had an issue

Welcome to the low life

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
If that shop don't have the knowledge or capability to align your car, go elsewhere. It took the mechanic at Firestone less than 45 minutes to align my car. Everything was spot on.

Jaber

Modero
Sounds like you need to find a reputable shop. Ask local members where they go.

Around here, there's a shop where you don't have to fear of being "too low". Machine is inground and lifts the car up :) Maybe a shop near you has one similar or deals with lowered cars frequently. Heck... I've seen Firestone, Just tires, etc. get a lowered car on their system. Slow, but no damage.

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
Anyone have any advice or would like to chime in???
I am in NYC area for the record..

at this point I feel like going back to stock :thumbdown:

Go to Tyrolsport...They are located in Ridgewood, Queens. I highly recommend them

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
My thoughts on alignment are to stay away from places like Firestone. Yes it does work for some people, but you really want someone to align your car that knows what he is doing & is used to working with modified cars. Check with the local auto x crowd to see who they recommend for a quality alignment. Be prepared to pay more than $60. A good alignment is worth the cost. The place I use charges $150 for a custom alignment & I'm glad to pay it.

Lowering your car certainly effects your alignment. It adds negative camber that I believe cannot be adjusted out on our GTI's. While toe & caster can be adjusted. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong GTI's are new to me.

Make sure your tire pressures are even side to side, that can cause pulling.

Yes for sure broken or loose pieces of plastic sure could be the source of your popping noises.

shadowblue2013

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you all for your responses, a lot of great information.

As for the car drifting or pulling.. It is for sure pulling right and not slightly either. Although the first shop said they couldn't align it because it was "too low", the second shop aligned the car to spec for the two front tires.. The rear showed red, but he said that there was negative camber now and that the only thing he could really adjust was the toe, so pretty much that was it. The first shop said they aligned it the "most it could be aligned" since it was too low.

I know it should be possible to get an alignment while slightly lowered, just didn't know it was this difficult.

I will check tyrolsport in Queens once I hear back from the dealer, to see if they will offer an alignment to me and for how much.

As for the plastic making noise, seems as though there's now a good amount of plastic underneath that has been ripped or torn. I've heard one of the panels on the underbody can cost up to 120$??? That's insane..

At this point would you guys recommend spending the extra 80-120$ for a skid plate? I know I need new plastic for the front passenger side lower wheel well area, as that seems to be "knocking". But as for the other plastic, worth it to just get it replaced OEM or putting a skid plate?

I have hesitated from Firestone because I have heard some negative things about them, such as not knowing how to align a car properly haha.

I wish there was a shop in NYC such a jaber showed.. That looks really cool

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
My thoughts on alignment are to stay away from places like Firestone. Yes it does work for some people, but you really want someone to align your car that knows what he is doing & is used to working with modified cars. Check with the local auto x crowd to see who they recommend for a quality alignment. Be prepared to pay more than $60. A good alignment is worth the cost. The place I use charges $150 for a custom alignment & I'm glad to pay it.

Lowering your car certainly effects your alignment. It adds negative camber that I believe cannot be adjusted out on our GTI's. While toe & caster can be adjusted. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong GTI's are new to me.

Make sure your tire pressures are even side to side, that can cause pulling.

Yes for sure broken or loose pieces of plastic sure could be the source of your popping noises.

While I sort of agree, there really isn't much to do on these cars though.

Caster is not adjustable, btw.

You set the toe front & rear, adjust the camber in the rear, and center the steering wheel....it's pretty basic on this car and any shop "should" be able to do it.
If the shop is really good, they might shift the front subframe (IF needed) to equal out the camber in front....but not always the case.

Just finding one you trust is the only issue usually

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
The rear showed red, but he said that there was negative camber now and that the only thing he could really adjust was the toe, so pretty much that was it.

Yeah that's a problem, since the camber IS adjustable in the rear (and he could've gotten it into spec most likely).

And the weird part is that pretty much any shop will have the alignment specs for each/every car (on the computer) and it'll tell them what is adjustable and how to do it.
So yeah...I wouldn't go back there if they can't even read/follow directions