GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

carPC steering wheel controls

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
How much do you think you'll be charging for this?

wireb

Just a noob with a welder
How much do you think you'll be charging for this?

Let me get one put together and verify it works first :)

If we have enough folks interested in pcb (either as a kit or assembled) I am willing to order them and ship them out (pcb costs + shipping + ?? for shipping supplies / handling) Will not know the cost till I get the final design done and quoted by the card vendor. Hoping to keep it under $20 for the raw card alone (more we buy the cheaper they get)

Parts you can either order direct from digikey (based in MN) or I would be willing to kit them up. (cheaper to order direct don't have to pay shipping twice. Again unless we have quite a few done at once and get volume discounts)

Programed micros (cost + S/H)

Assembled / tested ??? most expensive option since it takes the most time.

Once I get the final design done and the basic snoop working poke me again and I will get a price sheet up.

slanky

Ready to race!
I love you! can you re-write the cluster to run a tach and speedo self check upon power up - effectivly giving us needle sweeep!?

wireb

Well made some more progress today. Here are the photos of the prototype.

Since the DIP package was out of stock I had to make a dip to soic adapter

Here are the prototype minus the connections to the car (going to pick up a connector this week for it).

And for anyone who needs some light reading:
MCP2551 http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/21667E.pdf
MCP2515 http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/21801e.pdf
AN228 http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/00228a.pdf
AN713 http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/00713a.pdf

Side note what will most folks be running for a OS? Initial program will be written for linux since that is what is on my netbook. Does anyone want a windows app?

slanky

Ready to race!
please, people in here barely know what linux is, much less know how to use it. Play it safe and make an XP/Vista compatible program.

wireb

Unfortunately this weekend is booked and don't have much time to work on this. But I did make some progress.

Pulled the sat tuner and got all the taps put in. (You could cut and splice the harness but I wanted the option to make everything look factory if I had to take it in for service someday.)

Wires you need to tap
+12V middle connector T8b pin 2 red with yellow stripe
GND middle connector T8b pin 1 brown
CanL left connector T8a pin 1 orange with brown stripe
CanH left connector T8a pin 2 orange with lilac (purple) stripe

T8a pin one is on the left looking into the connector on the radio.

For those who care they use a TDA8579 op amp driver on the audio and a TJA1054 on the CAN bus.

Ok to get the bugger out slide the seat all the way back and pull out your floor mat.
Next lift up on the two tabs on the back edge of the plastic cover then slide it towards the front of the car.

Now there are 3 or 4 nuts AND BOLTS holding the radio to the silver plate. you can easily remove them with out removing the plate. The trick is getting them back in. I was able to get 2 out of the 3 on mine in without removing the plate. (the carpet holds the nuts in position and you can get them tight that way.) I knocked one of the rear ones out of alignment so had to pull the silver plate in the end.

Next take out all the screws you see. Case just comes apart without cutting any warranty stickers (none on it that I could find)

Backside view. The black wire on left is CANL the red is CANH. The black on right is gnd the red is +12V

All buttoned back up. Had to trim the edge of the box with a dremel to make space for the wires to come out.

Radio and adapter all wired up.

And everything back in the car.

Next weekend I hope to get some basic code running and snoop a few packets.

Last edited:

wireb

Update of the night. Got the base code loaded in the pic and got PC <-> PIC communications up and running. (after fighting for a few hours with a bad MAX232. Not fully bad just was not registering a valid high (output was pulled down to 3.5v).

Should have the PC and PIC code to do in system firmware updates done tomorrow. Once that is working I will start poking at the SPI interface.

wireb

Well just finished upgrading my main build pc to windows 7 x64. Good news is mplab installed fine and the code compiles still. Bad news I cannot finds Win32::API for perl 5.10.1 x64 so I cannot access the serial port anymore. :(

I just popped a note on the developer forum so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction as to where to get that module again.

Once I get that back up and running I should have the SPI code done in a few days and can try and go snoop my car.