GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat16:Race For 10K Posts - Will Achieve Oct 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
Welcome back ^

Actually a pretty nice little Saturday, going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time...

https://i.imgur.com/DsjTXJR.jpg[/IMmG][/QUOTE]

Nice, looks like you have some nice stuff there.
I just made taco's and watched the new episode of Blue Planet 2 .

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Nice, looks like you have some nice stuff there.
I just made taco's and watched the new episode of Blue Planet 2 .

Tyrolsport collar kit most ill probably ever spend on a few bolts :lol:

First time ripping off bumper was interesting :eek:

flying_solo

Go Kart Champion
I finally finished my RO system with two weeks to spare before kid #2. It’s a commercial grade 200 GPD system I added an eleven gallon expansion tank to and got it plumber upstairs. I also setup a proper drain system for the RO and Water softener to my sump. Maybe someday I’ll actually wrench on a car again.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
I finally finished my RO system with two weeks to spare before kid #2. It’s a commercial grade 200 GPD system I added an eleven gallon expansion tank to and got it plumber upstairs. I also setup a proper drain system for the RO and Water softener to my sump. Maybe someday I’ll actually wrench on a car again.
RO =reverse osmosis? You setting up a reef tank or discus tank?

flying_solo

Go Kart Champion
Yes Reverse Osmosis, I have well water and it’s primarily for drinking. But, I also do have a fresh water tank I am using it for as well.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
So my 4Runner is a Limited model (basically a normal 4Runner with a center diff inside the lockable 2 speed transfer case for full time 4 wheel drive , extra creature comforts, smart key, nav, auto dimming mirrors, 20” wheels, etc, and XREAS suspension. XREAS is pretty impressive, the dampeners are hydraulically linked corner to corner - right front to left rear and left front to right rear. The purpose of the system is the truck stays sports car flat around corners, like for real, it’s insane, it doesn’t seem like it should be possible. On road the system phenomenal. Off road it’s to firm and stiff of a ride, it takes a lot more force to get articulation out of it, with valving being on the slow side.

I do spend a lot of time off-road, not nessesarily rock crawling but lots of unpaved rugged rocky trails and mountain passes as well as washboard gravel and fire roads. In the fall I was driving down a trail to get to a trailhead to hike a 14er, rutted washboard gravel at 30 mph for about 20 minutes each way. The shocks got HOT, started to smell a bit and faded bad. After that they started slowly leaking. The problem with XREAS is that it’s a sealed non serviceable system, so it’s hugely expensive to replace it all.

Here’s my predicament. I am going to rip it all out and upgrade, I’m going to lift the rear 2 inches and the front 2.5 inches. I have the rear springs and extended travel front control arms (caster corrected for stability when lifted, beefy as fuck, and extended motion ball joints) sitting in the garage already, but I flip flop more than Hillary when it comes to choosing the rest of the suspension.

Option 1, Bilstein 6112/5160 combo. The combo is 60mm front pistons (although cutaways show that to be false, they are closer to 2” pistons), 46mm rear pistons, digressive valving, rears are remote reservoirs front are 2.5” bodied mono tube coil overs. A tried and true setup, the TRD Pro models basically come with this setup with a fixed 1.5” front lift and no rear lift. Total addition cost after the control arms and rear springs is roughly another $1,000

Option 2, King OEM kit. The go big or go home do it right once. Top of the line 2.5” remote reservoir dampers, fronts are coil overs. Extended travel front and rear, high end best of the best, fully serviceable and rebuildable. They come custom valved to my specific setup, accounting for added weight to the vehicle, how heavy the wheel and tire combo is, actual front and rear weight of the vehicle, type of ride I want, and the terrain I plan on using them in. Total addition cost after the control arms and rear springs is roughly another $2500 without compression adjusters or $3100 with compression adjusters.

I want to order soon, I plan to install in the spring after winter/ski season.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Yes sir, look at my buildthread for more details.

Koni coilovers adjustable dampening. 034 strut mounts. Tyrolsport subframe collar kit etc. Also neuspeed fmic and s3 top not pictured

I hope you bought new bearings to go with them too, but if you have noises/squeaking in the front (they're hit or miss)....those will be your culprit.

I usually just run the (Audi) TT mounts or the OEM ones, personally

RoyB1

Go Kart Champion
So my 4Runner is a Limited model (basically a normal 4Runner with a center diff inside the lockable 2 speed transfer case for full time 4 wheel drive , extra creature comforts, smart key, nav, auto dimming mirrors, 20” wheels, etc, and XREAS suspension. XREAS is pretty impressive, the dampeners are hydraulically linked corner to corner - right front to left rear and left front to right rear. The purpose of the system is the truck stays sports car flat around corners, like for real, it’s insane, it doesn’t seem like it should be possible. On road the system phenomenal. Off road it’s to firm and stiff of a ride, it takes a lot more force to get articulation out of it, with valving being on the slow side.

I do spend a lot of time off-road, not nessesarily rock crawling but lots of unpaved rugged rocky trails and mountain passes as well as washboard gravel and fire roads. In the fall I was driving down a trail to get to a trailhead to hike a 14er, rutted washboard gravel at 30 mph for about 20 minutes each way. The shocks got HOT, started to smell a bit and faded bad. After that they started slowly leaking. The problem with XREAS is that it’s a sealed non serviceable system, so it’s hugely expensive to replace it all.

Here’s my predicament. I am going to rip it all out and upgrade, I’m going to lift the rear 2 inches and the front 2.5 inches. I have the rear springs and extended travel front control arms (caster corrected for stability when lifted, beefy as fuck, and extended motion ball joints) sitting in the garage already, but I flip flop more than Hillary when it comes to choosing the rest of the suspension.

Option 1, Bilstein 6112/5160 combo. The combo is 60mm front pistons (although cutaways show that to be false, they are closer to 2” pistons), 46mm rear pistons, digressive valving, rears are remote reservoirs front are 2.5” bodied mono tube coil overs. A tried and true setup, the TRD Pro models basically come with this setup with a fixed 1.5” front lift and no rear lift. Total addition cost after the control arms and rear springs is roughly another $1,000

Option 2, King OEM kit. The go big or go home do it right once. Top of the line 2.5” remote reservoir dampers, fronts are coil overs. Extended travel front and rear, high end best of the best, fully serviceable and rebuildable. They come custom valved to my specific setup, accounting for added weight to the vehicle, how heavy the wheel and tire combo is, actual front and rear weight of the vehicle, type of ride I want, and the terrain I plan on using them in. Total addition cost after the control arms and rear springs is roughly another $2500 without compression adjusters or $3100 with compression adjusters.

I want to order soon, I plan to install in the spring after winter/ski season.

That XREAS. When I was on my hunt for a V8 4th gen I did much research and looked for models that did not have the XREAS for reasons you posted. They eventually fail and oem replacement is $$$$.

I can't comment on the suspension upgrades, but unless you are running 37s+ and doing rock crawling not sure you need all the fancy adjustable shocks? Maybe put some money saved into other mods?

RoyB1

Go Kart Champion
This weekend I moved my bar to the other side of the basement to appease the GF. I DO like it on the other side of the room, however, I had to cut my water/drain line to it as a result, which is why I had it there in the first place. firstworldproblems.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
That XREAS. When I was on my hunt for a V8 4th gen I did much research and looked for models that did not have the XREAS for reasons you posted. They eventually fail and oem replacement is $$$$.

I can't comment on the suspension upgrades, but unless you are running 37s+ and doing rock crawling not sure you need all the fancy adjustable shocks? Maybe put some money saved into other mods?

XREAS isn’t something to avoid, it’s a great system, when it does go out it’s all mechanical, nothing is monitored or computer controlled. You can replace it all with some entry level Bilsteins for a few hundred bucks.

37’s and rock crawling have nothing to do with shocks being adjustable. If I go with the Kings they will custom valve them to my vehicle for no extra cost. The larger shock bodies and remote reservoirs are what I really want for the higher fluid capacity and increased cooling. My problem is overheating dampeners with how I use the vehicle. Buy if I’m spending $2500 on the Kings what’s another $600 for compression adjusters to fine tune ride quality.

I’m not opossed to the higher end Bilstien stuff but they don’t offer much of a warranty and I haven’t been able to track down a single person who has heat in the ahocks as their main problem they tried Bilsteins to fix that. Most people do the suspension solely to have a 3” lift for looks.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
I hope you bought new bearings to go with them too, but if you have noises/squeaking in the front (they're hit or miss)....those will be your culprit.

I usually just run the (Audi) TT mounts or the OEM ones, personally

Yes picked up a set of 0EM vw bearings as well good call .

#jayadvice #hesrightyouknow #pepperoinijalapenopizzaftw

You're paying for the collars to be machined. Not the bolts :paddle:

iirc the price is in the ARP bolts? educate me

Now that my engine insulation is ripped out, more room for decals :D

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
Brah, do you even chi chat?

This.

Oh snap just scored a set of ramz for the Diesel....

Whatcha doing with the current OEM setup? ;)

Aaaaaand the ramz fell through. Guy sold them out from under me. "Another guy called me after I talked to you and offered more money so I sold them to him." I was giving him his asking price so.....

At any rate - I'll keep the factory 18s for winters. New 20s would be for summer pimping only.

Not in a rush, I'll keep cruising eBay, etc. I want OE's and can't stomach the dealer price. All of the aftermarket ones out there just leave me feeling "meh".

Status
Not open for further replies.