GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat19: 10k Posts Achieved In Revived Dead Thread

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
20ish lbs if the internet is correct. defintiely double digits.

might go with hood pins, seems safer and more consistent than the OEM latch setup.
Is that the Dutch Parts splitter? If so, how do you like it? Are you lowered?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Sno, remember when you got that note from one of your crazy neighbors back in 2014 or so about not buying American cars.

do you still live in that hood or did you move? did you ever find out who it was?
:ROFLMAO:

Yup...still living in the same house. They wanted American cars, so they've had 2+ years of loud V8's instead now. Gotta love a nice loud cold start for them at 11:30pm when I'm leaving for work.
It still didn't make sense though, as the Passats we had actually were American built cars. Oh well.
Never found out who it was, but I'm assuming some cranky old man a couple houses down & across the street that drives a Ford Escape. Rumor is that he was one of "those guys" sending in his views or complaints to the newspaper or city all the time.

Ironically....I just showed that letter to the sales guy at the VW dealer, where I might be getting the Arteon from, the other day.
I'll go back to kindly pissing them off again, NFG

And just in case anyone is new here, or missed it, here's that post/thread:
https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/index.php?threads/apparently-my-neighbors-dont-like-vws.290190/

Last edited:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
did you look at the crosssport though?
It looks nice/sharp, don't get me wrong, but has the same (lame) engine options as the Atlas. I don't see the point of having two crossovers, unless it was some hopped up model like a Jeep Trackhawk or Durango Hellcat (but that ain't happening).

Not a fan of the Arteon styling?
(Granted I liked the CC and had a couple of those before, and I like the fact that the Arteon isn't a car you see everyday -- in 2+ years of being out, I just saw my first one ever on the road the other day)

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Is that the Dutch Parts splitter? If so, how do you like it? Are you lowered?
Yessir. I like it, it's a solid piece and well mounted. I am lowered a bit but not slammed.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
It looks nice/sharp, don't get me wrong, but has the same (lame) engine options as the Atlas. I don't see the point of having two crossovers, unless it was some hopped up model like a Jeep Trackhawk or Durango Hellcat (but that ain't happening).

Not a fan of the Arteon styling?
(Granted I liked the CC and had a couple of those before, and I like the fact that the Arteon isn't a car you see everyday -- in 2+ years of being out, I just saw my first one ever on the road the other day)
Just to clarify. You think that VR6 is lame?

Arteon is nice, just confused about the dislike of VR6 on the atlas

Phur

Autocross Champion
Not that I would ever get one. I’m just not into bigger cars. I just feel like the Arteon should have had the option of the VR6.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Just to clarify. You think that VR6 is lame?

Arteon is nice, just confused about the dislike of VR6 on the atlas
Let me clarify, I've had 3 NMS Passats with that same 3.6 VR6 BUT it was paired with a DSG and that pairing was fantastic! It made awesome VR6 noises, quick shifts, and was decently quick for what it was.
0-60 in 5.7 seconds or something.

Now enter the (800-1,000 lbs heavier) Atlas with that same engine and a slush box = no fun. It's pathetically slow in comparison with lazy shifts. Per MotorTrend: "that yields a class-trailing acceleration of 7.9 seconds to 60 mph."
The engine is back from 2005 or 2006, btw.

Great engine, but in that huge SUV it doesn't shine.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Let me clarify, I've had 3 NMS Passats with that same 3.6 VR6 BUT it was paired with a DSG and that pairing was fantastic! It made awesome VR6 noises, quick shifts, and was decently quick for what it was.
0-60 in 5.7 seconds or something.

Now enter the (800-1,000 lbs heavier) Atlas with that same engine and a slush box = no fun. It's pathetically slow in comparison with lazy shifts. Per MotorTrend: "that yields a class-trailing acceleration of 7.9 seconds to 60 mph."
The engine is back from 2005 or 2006, btw.

Great engine, but in that huge SUV it doesn't shine.
i thought i read that the atlas had a DSG offering.

GolNat

Autocross Champion

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
i thought i read that the atlas had a DSG offering.

It has a tiptronic with a torque converter
Same with the Tiguan and/or pretty much any other VW currently....no DSG either, because people couldn't get use to the quirks of it.
Only the GLI, Golf R or GTI get the DSG at the moment.

Their products would shine a lot better with a DSG though as most people complain about the automatics....go figure.

BUT the 2022 Taos will be offered in automatic for FWD, and then DSG with the 4motion:
https://di-uploads-pod16.dealerinsp...-Price-and-Order-Guide-for-CW16-2021-Taos.pdf