GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

City Dwellers

jnj2455

Ready to race!
So I'm in the apartment searching process (which is an absolutely pain) in a really urban area and because I need my car for work, I'm constantly running into the debate of garage parking vs. street parking.

The place I'm looking into has street parking around but I question how my car will fair in the long run. If I opt with street parking I will save a shit load of money vs. paying a high fee every month for the garage. There is a garage roughly a block away. On the other hand, I hate and don't trust a lot of valet people and I trust them even less handling a manual.

So question for the owners who live in metropolis regions and have to resort to street parking, how banged up have your cars been? I'm probably gonna get one of those cheesy rubber bumper shield things for the rear but there really isn't an option for the front bumper. Not that I've seen them anyways.

Anybody here use said bumper shields? Are they actually effective? I've already accepted that my car will see a fair amount of wear and tear but I am trying to do my best to keep the process slow.

Your 2¢ will be appreciated.

Austin_W

Go Kart Champion
You will curb your wheels eventually with all the parallel parking. I live in an apartment and I just pay the extra cost for a spot in the back. And you're right about the valet thing. I wouldn't trust them either.

intellistar

Ready to race!
I think it depends on how pristine you are trying to keep your car and the street you are going to be parking on. If it is a narrow street with barely enough room for two cars to go by, then you will be lucky not to lose a rear view mirror. I see countless cars with broken mirrors because some larger truck/SUV misjudged the amount of clearance they had. Street parking in windy conditions could mean branches hitting your car, etc. Scratches on your paint are a given. If the street isn't wide enough, then you may also lose a rear view.

I no longer live at apartments that do not have garage parking. Car ports are debatable, but street parking is an immediate no-go.

That being said, all of my parking has been in Southern California, so that could also play into the crappy drivers running through rear-views thing. I watch in horror as Prius drivers open their doors all the way without a care about banging the adjacent car. I even found one "resting" their rear view ON mine... (luckily not the GTI). This has turned into a rant... so back on topic... Garage Parking preferably with a wall on at least one side.

RGGTI41510

Ready to race!
You can get one or those thick rubber license plate frames for the front bumper. I'd pay for the garage though.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
I think it depends on how pristine you are trying to keep your car and the street you are going to be parking on. If it is a narrow street with barely enough room for two cars to go by, then you will be lucky not to lose a rear view mirror. I see countless cars with broken mirrors because some larger truck/SUV misjudged the amount of clearance they had. Street parking in windy conditions could mean branches hitting your car, etc. Scratches on your paint are a given. If the street isn't wide enough, then you may also lose a rear view.

I no longer live at apartments that do not have garage parking. Car ports are debatable, but street parking is an immediate no-go.

That being said, all of my parking has been in Southern California, so that could also play into the crappy drivers running through rear-views thing. I watch in horror as Prius drivers open their doors all the way without a care about banging the adjacent car. I even found one "resting" their rear view ON mine... (luckily not the GTI). This has turned into a rant... so back on topic... Garage Parking preferably with a wall on at least one side.

If you call the side view mirrors rear view one more time I'm going to fuckin snap

GTIJenn1

Go Kart Champion
If you call the side view mirrors rear view one more time I'm going to fuckin snap

LOLOLOLOLOL this!

But to the OP, of course, street parking isn't ideal and I know most people in this forum worship their cars and treat them like gold, etc. The OP wasn't asking about which he should choose street or garage. We all will choose garage parking. But if you have to park on the street, try to find a street that is wide so avoid dings, scratches or all out destruction of your car. If a wide street isn't an option, hope for a quiet street that doesn't get a shit ton of traffic.

Parking on the street, there isn't a shit ton of things you can do to keep others from being careless. Don't park next to cars that look like shit, as their owners will treat your car as they do theirs. If it will be sitting for longer than a couple days, a cover may come in handy. Keeps the elements at bay a little. Save up for touch-up paint for a year from now when you get tired of the little paint chips and things.

And enjoy your new apartment!

Nitron

Ready to race!
I'll never do street parking again. The garage expense is always worth it.

Theft, bird shit, crappy parkers, wheel rash(happens eventually to the best of us), sun damage, dirty car, vandals, walking far with groceries, multiple trips, looking for a safe stop, parking anxiety, etc

corydd

Go Kart Champion
I live in SF and so far my car hasn't gotten banged up at all. Bumper Bullies are great for when you're parked parallel.

The worst thing about parking outside is just that my car gets so damn dirty all the time. I might spring for a car cover soon.

jnj2455

Ready to race!
This one apartment I'm considering does not have an associated garage with it unfortunately. I like the place but it's holding me back from making a decision yet. The street immediately in front of the place is wide. However, it is a pretty busy area which sees a lot of traffic. Realistically, the only times my car remains untouched would be overnight and weekends. All other times the car is gonna be with me at my office.

I'm still trying to reason with myself how much I want this apartment vs. sacrificing how my car will be. To answer the others, the GTI has been a garage queen since I got it new. And each and every subsequent nick, scratch, and paint chip gets me upset for a bit until I try to shrug it off. I'm planning on putting the detroits back on for the winter with winter tyres and not cringe if I curb them.

I'm hoping to hear back from another place that does have a garage and if they have vacancy I might just go with that. But if not, I am probably going to accept this said lease and try to keep my car in one piece.

jnj2455

Ready to race!
I live in SF and so far my car hasn't gotten banged up at all. Bumper Bullies are great for when you're parked parallel.

The worst thing about parking outside is just that my car gets so damn dirty all the time. I might spring for a car cover soon.

Do you have it for your rear?

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Parallel parking, you're guaranteed to get bumped every once in a while. Leads to paint scratches, scuff marks, etc. Sometimes leads to a creased bumper if you get tapped by a pickup truck rear bumper for example.

Some things you can do...
Tuck the side mirror in on the street side when you park. Our mirrors fold which is great.
Leave equal space in front and rear, less likely to get bumped.
Don't park next to someone who is all sideways with one wheel on the sidewalk or generally parked like an ass.
Find out who your neighbors are, and which ones give half a shit about their cars. Try to park near them.

If you can find off street parking its the best. My apartment complex has an outside parking lot, so the only possible problem would be door dings. A garage would keep it away from the weather, and would be "better." Of course, all those things cost extra. Its only worth it if you think it is.

Truth is, in the city you're better off getting a 10 year old small car and driving it around with NFG.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
And each and every subsequent nick, scratch, and paint chip gets me upset for a bit until I try to shrug it off.

Yeah you're pretty much going to need to get over this.