GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clicking noise during full lock low speed turns

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Funny how two dealers can have such differing viewpoints on a problem.

Dropped it off for the 20K service today and mentioned this issue.

They sent me out with some guy that I think is the head technician. When I described the noise in the lobby, the first thing he mentioned was, "sounds like a CV joint." After driving it around the parking lot for several minutes, he said that it definitely wasn't that. Initially, we couldn't even hear it, but after a couple minutes, he was able to duplicate it. He said the clicking sound wasn't loud enough to be a CV joint.

His feeling was that it was a strut bearing and he didn't believe that it was "normal," but he was also going to check some of the other new rides on the lot to see if they have the same issue. He did go on to say that even at full turn, it should be smooth. In the meantime, he was going to have the technician review it and try to determine which side it was coming from. He said he'd let me know as soon as he had more information.

Will update this thread when I hear back later today.

Update: Apparently, it's not a strut bearing as they asked for me to bring it back today so they can keep trying to find the root of the problem. To their credit, they haven't given up and they gave me a free loaner (if you drive a Vdub, you know those are like gold at the dealership) for the day. 2013 Passat -- I'm incredibly underwhelmed, BTW.

Sorry, forgot to provide an update and the bump reminded me.

They ended up replacing the strut bearing and the noise sorta went away. It generally doesn't make any noise in dry conditions, but if I go full turn at slow speeds on a wet surface, it still does.

I might mention it when I go in for my 25K oil change...not sure yet. Don't know if I want to be bothered with them tinkering with the car. I'll give 'em credit where it's due though. They were more than willing to try to figure it out and didn't really give me a hard time. Maybe I'll stop by on a rainy day when I know it'll make the noise...

Mats

Hi,

I have a mk5 golf and some times I noticed a weird sound from front side when I am in very slow speed and turning the wheel to park. This noise is not produced when stationary and with high speeds. I have change suspensions, top mounts and silent block recently. However, this didn't fix the issue. The sound is recorded in this video ( occuring on 0:09-0:15)
Any idea what is causing this noise?
noise steering vw golf